The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Cover music

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#123046  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:05 am
I wish commercials would stay away from themes from my favorite movies. Leave Requiem for a Dream and Donnie Darko alone. Make your own goddamn songs!

Why can't more people be like The Doors?
Last edited by SineSwiper on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

#123056  by Kupek
 Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I wish commercials would stay away from themes from my favorite movies. Leave Requiem for a Dream and Donnie Darko alone. Make your own goddamn songs!
Somewhere, a Tears for Fears fan is saying that about movies.

#123062  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:55 pm
Kupek wrote:Somewhere, a Tears for Fears fan is saying that about movies.
I -am- a Tears for Fears fan, but I like the remake better. Hell, that movie was responsible for getting the band back together. (Seriously.)

#123344  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 am
Yeah, the cover of Mad World was quite terrible. Shout 2000 was fairly good though, but the singer could have been better. I haven't heard either in years though so my opinion may differ a little on Shout, but the Mad World cover will probably still want to make me vomit.

#123399  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 am
Dutch wrote:Yeah, the cover of Mad World was quite terrible. Shout 2000 was fairly good though, but the singer could have been better. I haven't heard either in years though so my opinion may differ a little on Shout, but the Mad World cover will probably still want to make me vomit.
Well, whatever. The original song sounds too "dated" now. Too many 80's synchs and ugly drum machines. By the time they put out "Songs From The Big Chair", they actually had some good equipment to produce with.

#123408  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:20 am
Well, if you prefer stripped down emo cover of Mad World over the real song, then more power to you.

#123434  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:58 pm
Black Lotus wrote:My taste in music is garbage.
Fixed =P

#123441  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:19 pm
Please. Next thing you're going to tell me is that the David Bowie version of Golden Years is better than the MM version.

#123449  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:55 pm
Who's is better? P.Diddy or Sting?

Case fucking closed.

#123455  by Blotus
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:39 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:Who's is better? P.Diddy or any of the other musicians he's made a career out of ripping-off/"sampling"?

Case fucking closed.
QFT

#123456  by bovine
 Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:50 am
some covers can be awesomazing. I guess Final Fantasy is just amazing doing whatever he chooses to.

#123457  by RentCavalier
 Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:14 am
Who is this Violin master? And why does his name coincide with that of popular video games?

#123458  by bovine
 Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:46 am
he is the violinist from the Arcade Fire, his solo act is entitled "final fantasy". If you're in Regina, Saskatchewan you can see him playing at the folk fest August 8-12. He has two albums out (one with a funny name), and his live show is incredible. I recommend you procure yourself his albums and see his show if he passes through your section of the earth.

I don't know where the name comes from, but you can hear some videogame inspired lyrics here and there in his albums.

Also, Canadian.

#123466  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:54 am
Imakeholesinu wrote:Who's is better? P.Diddy or Sting?

Case fucking closed.
Everything rappers have covered is total shit. I don't think anybody is debating that. (Though, I'm sure Seeker will try.)

However, some covers are just plain better than the original song, because the original song was some oddball thing that nobody listened to.

Hell, who wrote All Along the Watchtower? Who actually made that fucking song famous?
Last edited by SineSwiper on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

#123467  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:58 am
Kupek wrote:Yes, covers can be amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM
Are you being sarcastic? Anyway, Hooverphonic's cover of Shake the Disease (Depeche Mode song); a 1000x better than the original. (Also, the first song I heard from these folks.)

#123470  by Kupek
 Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:15 am
...No. I like the original, but that guy has an amazing voice.

Are you being sarcastic? Because if you don't like that cover, something other than blood runs through your veins.

#123480  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:49 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:Who's is better? P.Diddy or Sting?

Case fucking closed.
Sting, Puff Daddy's a jackass who only got popular by dancing around in everyone elses videos and getting featured on their albums who were on his label.

#123490  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:29 pm
SineSwiper wrote: Everything rappers have covered is total shit. I don't think anybody is debating that. (Though, I'm sure Seeker will try.)
Rappers generally don't do covers; I can't think of many good examples. I can only think of one cover off hand, Rappers Delight by Def Squad (which is an awesome cover)... Limp Bizkit did Jump Around, and perhaps even the Fugees cover of Killing me Softly (though that's more Soul R&B with a bit of rap)... None of them are "shit". What is all this stuff you are talking about?

#123493  by RentCavalier
 Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:43 pm
Would Wu Tang's "While the Heat Gently Weeps"--y'know, the one with samples done by George Harrison's son, to the tune of "My Guitar Gently Weeps" count as a cover?

#123494  by bovine
 Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:21 pm
Dutch wrote:
SineSwiper wrote: Everything rappers have covered is total shit. I don't think anybody is debating that. (Though, I'm sure Seeker will try.)
Rappers generally don't do covers; I can't think of many good examples. I can only think of one cover off hand, Rappers Delight by Def Squad (which is an awesome cover)... Limp Bizkit did Jump Around, and perhaps even the Fugees cover of Killing me Softly (though that's more Soul R&B with a bit of rap)... None of them are "shit". What is all this stuff you are talking about?
perhaps hiphop using samples/beats from classic songs.

#123505  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:21 am
bovine wrote:I'm sure everyone's already seen it and it's mildly off topic.... but prepare to not be rickrolled even a little bit.
What the fuck is up with this "Tom Goes to the Mayor" type humor being so popular? Bleh. The "so stupid it's funny" humor is really really hard to capture on a regular basis. Just look at how hit and miss "Tim and Eric Awesome Show" is. (It's usually more miss than hit.)
Dutch wrote:Rappers generally don't do covers; I can't think of many good examples. I can only think of one cover off hand, Rappers Delight by Def Squad (which is an awesome cover)... Limp Bizkit did Jump Around, and perhaps even the Fugees cover of Killing me Softly (though that's more Soul R&B with a bit of rap)... None of them are "shit". What is all this stuff you are talking about?
Maybe not covers, but you're purposely being obtuse about it. I'm talking about "stolen" songs with replacement lyrics. Songs like:

Everything Puff Daddy or P. Diddy or P on my Diddy (or whatever the fuck you want to call him) has done.

Jay-Z - Hard Knock Life (Remixing an Annie song?! What the fuck is wrong with you people??!)

Kanye West - Stronger (Again, Daft Punk steals from funk albums, but at least they don't put shitty lyrics on it.)

Eminem - Dream On (Stealing from Aerosmith? That's like stealing shit from the toilet and then pissing on it.)

That shitty Jay-Z/Linkin Park album (What were they thinking?!)

I could go on and on, but *GASP* I usually don't listen to rap.

#123511  by Mully
 Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:30 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Dutch wrote:Yeah, the cover of Mad World was quite terrible. Shout 2000 was fairly good though, but the singer could have been better. I haven't heard either in years though so my opinion may differ a little on Shout, but the Mad World cover will probably still want to make me vomit.
Well, whatever. The original song sounds too "dated" now. Too many 80's synchs and ugly drum machines. By the time they put out "Songs From The Big Chair", they actually had some good equipment to produce with.
Funny enough, I'm listening to Pandora and a cover of Mad World by Alex Parks. Haunting as usual, but this version is basically drum machine, piano and a cello.

#123550  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:49 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Dutch wrote:Rappers generally don't do covers; I can't think of many good examples. I can only think of one cover off hand, Rappers Delight by Def Squad (which is an awesome cover)... Limp Bizkit did Jump Around, and perhaps even the Fugees cover of Killing me Softly (though that's more Soul R&B with a bit of rap)... None of them are "shit". What is all this stuff you are talking about?
Maybe not covers, but you're purposely being obtuse about it. I'm talking about "stolen" songs with replacement lyrics.
Sampling a beat is NOT in ANY WAY covering a song. Declaring all rap covers as trash because of songs by Puff Daddy or Jay Z which sample other songs is just ludicrous. Also, declaring all rap songs which sample other songs as trash is just very poor taste, especially in light of songs like Changes and Ghetto Gospel by Tupac Shakur.

Speaking of Rap Covers, there is Run DMC's cover of Walk this Way which totally slipped my mind. I wouldn't call that one trash either.