The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Favorite really old movies...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #124724  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:40 pm
...that you would still put in your Top 50 list. The movie has to be at least 30-35 years old and be something that you would still recommend today.

For me, I think I would vote for:

1. Seven Samurai (1954) - Excellent movie that really touched on a lot of subjects. Long, but the ending to the movie ties the central theme all together.

2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) - Still very relevant today and the themes on racism are topical even in with points that Obama has spoken about. The argument with the groom and his father is probably one of the most bluntly truthful statements on racism to date.

3. Dr. Strangelove (1964) - Kubrick's first and one of his greatest movies. Both hilarious and critical of the Cold War. The concept is a bit dated but even though we're out of the Cold War, the "War on Terror" still is a good counterpart.

4. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) - Excellent film on the absurdities of war and the nationalism of the time.

5. Kelly's Heroes (1970) - Fucking funny as hell. Probably my favorite Clint Eastwood film.

Honorable Mentions:

Citizen Kane (1941)
The Sting (1973)

#124733  by Kupek
 Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:21 pm
The Lion in Winter and Becket.

#124744  by RentCavalier
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:57 am
Rashomon is pretty amazing--Kurosawa, IMO, owned the 50's.

#124748  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:57 am
Ya'll tellin' me there's no Wizard of Oz lovin' here?

#124768  by RentCavalier
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:29 pm
Zeus wrote:Ya'll tellin' me there's no Wizard of Oz lovin' here?
Fuck that shit.

I kid, actually. The Wizard of Oz I suppose should get a mention, but it isn't up to par with, say, Casablanca or something.

On that note, I vote Casablanca.

#124776  by Mully
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:06 pm
In no order of preference and not my complete list.

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
The Godfather: 1 & 2
It's A Wonderful Life
Psycho
Dr. Strangelove (A new favorite for me)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Rear Window
The Deer Hunter (just hit the 30 year mark!)

#124780  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:16 pm
I'm actually a big fan of the Lawrence Oliver Hamlet and Cyrano.

I haven't seen a lot of the big pre mid-70s flicks being a second-gen immigrant and my fam not really being into movies much. I still have yet to watch Citizen Kane for cryin' out loud :-) I'm working on it but it's a slow process

#124782  by Chris
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:12 pm
Adventures of Robin Hood....still to this day my absolute favorite version of the Hood. Errol Flynn was pretty much perfect and you can see it's influence as every take on robin hood has scenes ripped straight out of it...

#124810  by Blotus
 Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:41 pm
No mention of the David Lean trio of awesome yet?

Dr. Zhivago
Bridge on the River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia

Also:
Casablanca
Strangers on a Train
The Sting

plenty more

#124814  by RentCavalier
 Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:47 pm
Black Lotus wrote:No mention of the David Lean trio of awesome yet?

Dr. Zhivago
Bridge on the River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia

Also:
Casablanca
Strangers on a Train
The Sting

plenty more
Honestly, I can't stand Dr. Zhivago. It is the most boring and depressing flm I have ever seen.

#124832  by Mully
 Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:23 am
Mully wrote:In no order of preference and not my complete list.

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
It's A Wonderful Life
Psycho
Rear Window
Cabaret
Night of the Living Dead

#124837  by Blotus
 Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:40 pm
It's Pat.

#124845  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 pm
I'm not a huge fan of older movies before the late 70's, but there are some I really love:

For the 50's:

The Vikings - I love this movie, large numbers of the cast and crew to Sparticus and 20,000 leagues under the sea; but I found this movie much more enjoyable than either. This is a Kirk Douglas movie starring himself, Tony Curtis, Janet Leigh (who I think got pregnant with Jamie Lee Curtis during the filming of the movie), and Ernest Borgnine who played Ragnar, the coolest King in the history of movies (he drank and fought all throughout the movie).

Ivanhoe is another movie from the 50's I really liked, the one with Liz Taylor in it.

For the 60's:

Someone mentioned Lawrence of Arabia, that was a fantastic movie which I would almost call a timeless classic (though I really feel the first timeless classic I ever watched was Gandhi, an amazing 1982 film starring Sir Ben Kingsley that could pass for an amazing 2008 film with a bit of touching up). I would say that this movie is arguably the best movie of all time, and without much doubt, one of the best.

For the 70's:

A Clockwork Orange - I always liked this movie, I can't say I love it as I am not often in the mood for it.

Taxi Driver - while A Clockwork Orange attempts to disturb, I found this one successful. This is an early De Niro movie about a mentally disturbed Taxi Driver; this is arguably not just Scorsese's, but also De Niro's best film. This movie inspired the shooting of US President Ronald Reagan.

Serpico - A Pacino flick from around the time of the Godfather. Though this one I liked much better than the Godfather. It is about an honest New York cop who essentially blows the whistle on the corruption in the force.

This is what I could think of of hand.

#124859  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:52 pm
The Rear Window
Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Bridge over the river Kawai
Tora! Tora! Tora!
The Dirty Dozen
Breakfast at Tiffany's (Audrey Hepburn...wow)
The House of Usher (Vincent Price...fucking amazing)

#124867  by Blotus
 Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:43 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:Kawai
Dammit, Barret. It's not the 'Cute River'.

#124879  by Kupek
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:07 am
Andrew, Killer Bee wrote:Image
I should not this that funny. Yet I do.

#124880  by bovine
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:27 am
Kupek wrote:I should not this that funny. Yet I do.
same here?

#124885  by Mully
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:15 am
Gymkata is quite possibly the worst martial arts action movie you'll ever see. Horrible acting, horrible directing, horrible sound effects, and a plot that most elementary school kids would dismiss as being "bullshit". Amazingly, it somehow played in theatres and had a total domestic gross of $5,730,596. And as bad as all of these things about the movie are, that's not even the worst of it. No the worst thing about this insane movie is that it's actually based on a book.

#124888  by Chris
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:24 am
Mully wrote:
Gymkata is quite possibly the worst martial arts action movie you'll ever see. Horrible acting, horrible directing, horrible sound effects, and a plot that most elementary school kids would dismiss as being "bullshit". Amazingly, it somehow played in theatres and had a total domestic gross of $5,730,596. And as bad as all of these things about the movie are, that's not even the worst of it. No the worst thing about this insane movie is that it's actually based on a book.

you should watch it with my buddies podcast commentary track.....gymkommentary

#124890  by Blotus
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:34 am
Dammit, Andrew.

#124895  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:06 am
Well, that explains where Gunkata came from. And I'm with Chris. All bad movies can be funny with the right heckle track. MST3K, anyone? (Based on a book, wow......)
Dutch wrote:I'm not a huge fan of older movies before the late 70's, but there are some I really love:
Well, that's sorta the point of this: to point out movies that are still good today and worth renting. You should try out some of these. I really need to see Lawrence of Arabia at some point.
Dutch wrote:Janet Leigh (who I think got pregnant with Jamie Lee Curtis during the filming of the movie)
God, this threw me off. Got preggers BY Tony Curtis WITH Jamie Lee Curtis. Got it.
Dutch wrote:Taxi Driver - while A Clockwork Orange attempts to disturb, I found this one successful. This is an early De Niro movie about a mentally disturbed Taxi Driver; this is arguably not just Scorsese's, but also De Niro's best film. This movie inspired the shooting of US President Ronald Reagan.
Wow, really? And it's a damn shame he missed.
Imakeholesinu wrote:Tora! Tora! Tora!
Fun fact: the B-17 crash in that film was an actual crash. The director decided to keep the film rolling, and using the footage.

#124915  by Mully
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:57 pm
Mully wrote:

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
It's A Wonderful Life
Psycho
Rear Window
Cabaret
Night of the Living Dead
Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979) - I know it's not 30 or older, but 29 is the new 30, right?

#124928  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:03 pm
Oh and I forgot

The Maltese Falcon

If Hollywood wants a fresh idea that no one has seen in awhile...bring back film noir you stupid fucks.

#124935  by Chris
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:02 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:Oh and I forgot

The Maltese Falcon

If Hollywood wants a fresh idea that no one has seen in awhile...bring back film noir you stupid fucks.
Go see Frank Millers the spirit. it seems like he created it as he was credited with creating it at the WILL EISNER INDUSTRY AWARDS......fuck you whoever wrote the comic-con programming handbook

#124936  by Mully
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:12 pm

The Maltese Falcon

OMG! I think I found a new friend!

This isn't on my all time favorite list, but

The Long Goodbye
Touch of Evil (on my top, also coming to special edition dvd in october! reserved!)
The Lady from Shanghai
Point Blank

Actually just started watching Devil in a Blue dress as I'm writing this post.

#124939  by Zeus
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:42 pm

The Maltese Falcon

There's a rotoscoped film called Film Noir. Saw the first couple of minutes, I may have to check it out

#124957  by Mully
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:25 am
Zeus wrote:
Imakeholesinu wrote: If Hollywood wants a fresh idea that no one has seen in awhile...bring back film noir you stupid fucks.
There's a rotoscoped film called Film Noir. Saw the first couple of minutes, I may have to check it out
If Hollywood wants a fresh idea that no one has seen in awhile...don't do rotoscoping... Richard Linklater has that kind of rotoscoping covered and it severely limits who will see the movie. The average movie going public doesn't like Linklater-style rotoscoping.

#124961  by Mully
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:33 am
Mully wrote:
Mully wrote:

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
It's A Wonderful Life
Psycho
Rear Window
Cabaret
Night of the Living Dead
Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979) - I know it's not 30 or older, but 29 is the new 30, right?
John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) - So I know this isn't 30 by any stretch of the imagination, but I sure do love it.

#124964  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:42 am
I'll throw Gandhi on that pile too then, it is also an 82 film and one of my alltime favourites.

#124976  by RentCavalier
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:21 pm
Chris wrote:

The Maltese Falcon

Go see Frank Millers the spirit. it seems like he created it as he was credited with creating it at the WILL EISNER INDUSTRY AWARDS......fuck you whoever wrote the comic-con programming handbook
That's a bit of a big "fuck you" to Eisner now, isn't it?

#124988  by Chris
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:19 pm
RentCavalier wrote:
Chris wrote:

The Maltese Falcon

I almost snaped...

8:30-11:30 The Spirit Presents the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards— The 20th annual Eisner Awards, the "Oscars" of the comics industry, will be given out at a gala ceremony. This year's special them is "The Magic of Comics." Presenters include comics creator/director Frank Miller (Sin City, 300, The Spirit),

FUCK YOU!

#124991  by RentCavalier
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:06 pm
Chris wrote:
RentCavalier wrote:
Chris wrote:Go see Frank Millers the spirit. it seems like he created it as he was credited with creating it at the WILL EISNER INDUSTRY AWARDS......fuck you whoever wrote the comic-con programming handbook
I almost snaped...

8:30-11:30 The Spirit Presents the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards— The 20th annual Eisner Awards, the "Oscars" of the comics industry, will be given out at a gala ceremony. This year's special them is "The Magic of Comics." Presenters include comics creator/director Frank Miller (Sin City, 300, The Spirit),

FUCK YOU!
Now now, they could just be referring to the fact that he was a producer/director of all three of those FILMS, and 2 of them are based off his comics, and since it specifies he is a director, it seems more of a shameless plug for his film than for the comic.

That said, seeing as how this is at the EISNER awards, and Eisner himself CREATED the Spirit, it is a bit of a cockslap.

Of due note, you should check your emails.

#124992  by Chris
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:55 pm
RentCavalier wrote:
Chris wrote:
RentCavalier wrote: That's a bit of a big "fuck you" to Eisner now, isn't it?
I almost snaped...

FUCK YOU!
Now now, they could just be referring to the fact that he was a producer/director of all three of those FILMS, and 2 of them are based off his comics, and since it specifies he is a director, it seems more of a shameless plug for his film than for the comic.

That said, seeing as how this is at the EISNER awards, and Eisner himself CREATED the Spirit, it is a bit of a cockslap.

Of due note, you should check your emails.
I checked my e-mails...and it's on my list of shit to finish. I am so far behind it's not even funny...