The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• New Metallica - The Day That Never Comes

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #125667  by Lox
 Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:52 pm
Has anyone else heard it? They were playing it hourly on 98 Rock last night.

I loved it. Now, I know that may not come as a surprise, but I will say that I really didn't like St. Anger so you know I'm not totally biased. And in all honesty, I'm not quite the fanboy I used to be. :)

It's got some great heavy riffs and a good clean sound to it. I like Hetfield's vocals too. They reminded me of the Load days, which is fine with me since I thought his Load vocals were great. The beginning of the song actually reminded me a bit of Fade to Black and the 3 minute guitar solo at the end reminded me of stuff from AJFA.

The song comes in at almost 8 minutes and more than 1/2 of it is vocal-free. The intro comes in nice and slow and then builds up without any singing whatsoever for a bit.

All in all, I'm really excited for Death Magnetic.

#125673  by Kupek
 Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:19 pm
http://myspace.com/metallica

The Day That Never Comes sounds good. I'll have to listen to it more to see if it has the depth of the old days. But from what I hear of the lyrics... not so much.

Cyanide sounds okay, a bit forced, but the lyrics sound cheesy.

I'm wary. I liked both Load and ReLoad - they had their weaknesses, but they were still good. St. Anger was not. I was really hoping for this one, and I'm scared I'm being setup for disappointment.

#125684  by Lox
 Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:14 pm
Yeah, Cyanide's lyrics don't sound too hot, but I can get over them with awesome music behind it.

I thought TDTNC's lyrics sounded much better. I don't think it has the depth of their older stuff (or even Load, like you mentioned), but it's world's better than St. Anger so I'll take it.

The memorability of a song is hard for me to judge until I've owned an album for a few months. If I find myself remembering the song and wanting to listen to it and all that months later, I consider it good. So I guess we'll see.

#125686  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:26 pm
God, I hope the day never comes that metallica releases another album.

#125688  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:38 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:God, I hope the day never comes that metallica releases another album.
Why because all post-Black album songs suck aside from a few here and there?

#125689  by Lox
 Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:48 pm
I'd say their only actual "bad" album since TBA was St. Anger. I know a lot of people here don't like Load or ReLoad, but I thought almost every song on both albums was great. Load was stronger than ReLoad, but both were good, imo. I thought the music, while not really super heavy metal, was well put together and lyrically very solid. And it was enjoyable to listen to which was the most important.

#125699  by SineSwiper
 Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:11 pm
Load of shit. All of it post Justice. Funny how much one member holds up a band.

#125711  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:14 pm
Actually, they all suck. Big floppy donkey dick.

#125719  by SineSwiper
 Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:15 am
Well, there are better metal bands out there, but the early stuff was still good, especially when he was allowed to write instrumentals. I think bands like Dream Theater, White Zombie, Bionic Jive, Drain STH, Korn, System of a Down, Type O Negative are better metal bands, though.

#125727  by Lox
 Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:18 am
SineSwiper wrote:Well, there are better metal bands out there, but the early stuff was still good, especially when he was allowed to write instrumentals. I think bands like Dream Theater, White Zombie, Bionic Jive, Drain STH, Korn, System of a Down, Type O Negative are better metal bands, though.
Seriously? I love White Zombie and Drain STH, but better metal bands than old Metallica? I have to disagree there.

I was actually never a big Korn or SoaD fan though. I could have been a SoaD fan, but seeing them in concert one time made them seem very comical to me. It was like they were trying too hard to be "METAL" and just looked stupid. Couldn't listen to them seriously after that.

#125730  by SineSwiper
 Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:01 pm
Lox wrote:I was actually never a big Korn or SoaD fan though. I could have been a SoaD fan, but seeing them in concert one time made them seem very comical to me. It was like they were trying too hard to be "METAL" and just looked stupid. Couldn't listen to them seriously after that.
Listen to System of a Down seriously? What the fuck are you on? The lyrics are typically this bizarre mix of "Why the fuck is he singing about this" and some political subject that ties everything together. For example, one of my favorites is Chic 'N' Stu:

This ballgames in the refrigerator,
The door is closed,
The lights are out,
And the butters getting hard.

What a splendid pie,
Pizza-pizza pie,
Every minute, every second,
Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy,
What a splendid pie,
Pizza-pizza pie,
Every minute, every second,
Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy.

Pepperoni and green peppers
Mushrooms, olive, chives,
Pepperoni and green peppers
Mushrooms, olive, chives.

Need therapy, therapy,
Advertising causes need,
Need therapy, therapy,
Advertising causes need.

Well advertisings got you on the run,
Need therapy, therapy advertising causes,
Need therapy, therapy advertising causes,
Advertisings got you on the run,
Advertisings got you on the run,
etc.

Granted, the effect is better when you listen to his insane sped up rambling. However, looking at the lyrics themselves makes you think that there is definitely a deeper meaning to the lyrics.

But, you can't seem to shake the concept that HE'S SINGING ABOUT A GODDAMN PIZZA! "WTF is this guy on?"

#125743  by Lox
 Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Ok, now add that to the bass player crawling around on stage and flicking his tongue like he's a reptile. It makes me laugh because it's so absurd. Maybe 10 years ago I'd have thought it looked cool. I guess I got older and I realized how dumb it looked. :)

#125964  by Kupek
 Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:52 am
I bothered doing all that topic splitting because, hey, I want to talk Metallica again.

So I've listened to The Day That Never Comes a bunch of times, and I like it. A lot. It reminds me a lot of the old school days, with tempo changes, catchy riffs and good melody. It has the same kind of depth - the only "new" stuff that had that kind of depth was Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn and Fixxer. But those never went into all-out shredding mode (which is fine, actually; not everything needs to the same). This does.

Oddly, I'm a little worried it's too similar; in a few places the riffs sound eerily similar to riffs from Justice, and I swear I hear Blue Oyster Cult in there. Whether those are nods to the past or laziness will tell with the whole album, I think.

#125968  by Lox
 Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:53 pm
I do agree with you about it sounding too similar. I could almost hear some stuff from AJFA and the newest one out on metallica.com (My Apocalypse) reminds me of some of the speed metal from Kill'Em All. I'll take that, if it's what needs to happen to get some more awesome, heavy Metallica. It just means that, as good as this album may be, it still won't touch their 80's stuff.

You're the 2nd person to mention Blue Oyster Cult that I know. haha