The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• What.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #131367  by Kupek
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:14 am
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/stree ... dofchunli/

Has this been talked about before and I just wasn't paying attention? It looks to be loosely - and I mean loosely - based on Street Fighter. The trailer is mostly fight scenes, which to be me is an indication that the dramatic elements are weak.

I think that videogame movies are bad not just because of poor execution - while that certainly is the case most of the time - but mostly because the source material does not lend itself well. The more a game would lend itself to being made into a movie, the more redundant it becomes.

#131370  by Eric
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am
*Shrug* Even Street Fighter has a plot. You could piece together a lot from Alpha 1-3 if you read into the endings and which carries into the next game(s).

All I know of this movie is that it follows her tale of hunting down Bison for killing her father, which is accurate.

Now whether this representation of the characters is accurate or not is up to you to decide.

Raúl Juliá looked absolutely ridiculous in a Bison uniform.

Neal McDonough isn't anything close to the original article.

What do you go into a movie like this expecting I wonder?

#131372  by Blotus
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:16 am
Ignore it.

Also, don't even think about downloading (or paying for!) the Resident Evil CG movie that was released recently. It's rotten.

#131388  by Chris
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:51 pm
Blotus wrote:Ignore it.

Also, don't even think about downloading (or paying for!) the Resident Evil CG movie that was released recently. It's rotten.
I lked the first half in the airport.....then it went to shit extremely fast. grat start and then it just dies a slow and painful death. I actually had trouble getting through the post airport stuff

#131395  by Eric
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:25 pm
Aye, Airport portion = good.

The rest? Ugh.

Honestly if I had my X-Box or PS3 controller with me at the time, I would have felt like I was waiting for a cut-scene to end so I could pick up and start playing.

#131396  by Kupek
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:45 pm
Eric wrote:*Shrug* Even Street Fighter has a plot.
A "plot" is not enough to support a good movie.

My point: some games work only as games.

#131401  by Tessian
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:16 pm
Kupek wrote:

I'd argue you could make pretty much any game into a successful movie given the right circumstances (good writer, director, etc). Even Mortal Kombat wasn't a terrible movie given how little effort was put into it (yes, I believe MK wasn't a bad movie... hell it spawned 2 sequels too so it deemed a financial success too) and the games had just about zero plot too but they fleshed it out at least a little bit in the movie.

You can make a great movie out of a shitty game as easily as you can make a shitty movie out of a great game. It all just depends on how it works out.

#131404  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:29 pm
Tessian wrote:I'd argue you could make pretty much any game into a successful movie given the right circumstances (good writer, director, etc). Even Mortal Kombat wasn't a terrible movie given how little effort was put into it (yes, I believe MK wasn't a bad movie... hell it spawned 2 sequels too so it deemed a financial success too) and the games had just about zero plot too but they fleshed it out at least a little bit in the movie.
DOA wasn't a terrible movie, either. Having said that, though, it's really a bad idea to try to make a movie out of a fighting game.

#131411  by Zeus
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:37 pm
Eric wrote:Aye, Airport portion = good.

The rest? Ugh.

Honestly if I had my X-Box or PS3 controller with me at the time, I would have felt like I was waiting for a cut-scene to end so I could pick up and start playing.
Yeah, it definitely felt like that. The movie in general was like a direct sequel to RE2

#131412  by Zeus
 Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 pm
Kupek wrote:

And amusement park rides only work as amusement park rides.....oh, wait....

The point is, it depends on who's making it, how much they know/care about the source material, and how good they are at making movies.