The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Hardsubbing

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #140876  by Zeus
 Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:05 pm
I know some of you guys here have been using TVersity or Winblows Media Centre to watch stuff on your TV through your 360 or, if you're lucky enough to get it to work, your PS3 (mine only works periodically for some reason). If so, I figured some of you probably ran into the issue of anime or movies that come with a separate sub (.srt) file or not being able to turn on the subs associated with the dreaded .mkv format (I only want one language and I want it on all the time, dammit). Irritating as hell considering so many movies and all the anime come with subs.

Well, AfterDawn has a pretty easy-to-use hardsubbing procdure using VirtualDub and another program to convert .srt to .ssa since VirtualDub doesn't recognize .srt. I tried this yesterday with my copy of District 9 (it's amazing quality, the one that came out a month ago or so) and it worked beautifully, timing and everything

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... to_avi.cfm

I'm doing it with my copy of Ponyo which I believe is actually an mkv. I'm trying to convert it to standard xvid. I'm hoping it can convert at the same time, that will be nice since TVersity doesn't seem to recognize .mkv every time.

AfterDawn is a pretty good site overall if you ever have any other video or encoding questions/issues.

#140880  by RentCavalier
 Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:36 pm
HardSubbing sounds like a sex act.

#140882  by SineSwiper
 Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:07 pm
"Oh, it's the pizza guy? Do you have any of those hard subs for me?"

#140883  by SineSwiper
 Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 pm
Also, if you don't like the MKV format, you suck donkey balls... and hard subs.

#140884  by Shrinweck
 Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:48 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Also, if you don't like the MKV format, you suck donkey balls... and hard subs.
I was actually clicking this thread to respond with something similar. Thank you.

Edit: Also - Winblows? You're trying too hard and I almost stopped reading after that.

#140890  by Zeus
 Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:30 am
SineSwiper wrote:Also, if you don't like the MKV format, you suck donkey balls... and hard subs.
mkv's are nothing but a nuisance for me. I don't care about having multiple subs that I can turn on and off. I only want one language and I want it on all the time. For HD, I just get the h.264 format. And I have no concern about using up an additional HDD space.

Since the subs don't automatically turn on when I'm streaming through my 360 - which is how I watch nearly everything I download now and my PC and TV are in separate rooms - I very much dislike the mkv format. It does nothing for me extra and causes me nothing but headaches. I couldn't care less if the format is technically superior, it's functionally nearly useless to me.

For anyone who cares, worked fine with Ponyo. Seems to be a good setup although mkvs rarely come with separate .srt files, so it doesn't work for those usually.