The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Full Metal Alchemist

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #145912  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 pm
Any of you guys still watching this? What do you think after 50+ eps?
 #145914  by Eric
 Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:31 am
It's pretty faithful to the manga, and I already liked the manga, so it's all good to me :P

Manga should be ending soon, and the anime is realllllly close.
 #145922  by Zeus
 Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:36 pm
Eric wrote:It's pretty faithful to the manga, and I already liked the manga, so it's all good to me :P

Manga should be ending soon, and the anime is realllllly close.
So I keep hearing. Man, I don't want them to introduce filler 'cause the woman can't finish it off. It's got such amazing pace filler would just kill it. I hope they can just keep going at that pace 'til the end.

I have noticed that the animation quality is dipping in some eps. Too bad, it was so beautiful for a weekly series before, but lately it's been just nice.
 #145924  by Don
 Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:09 pm
I don't like the art of the FMA, especially when one of the newer guys looks exactly the same as the main guy even though they're not supposed to be related in any way. I see nothing special about the story either.
 #145930  by Zeus
 Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:55 pm
Don wrote:I don't like the art of the FMA, especially when one of the newer guys looks exactly the same as the main guy even though they're not supposed to be related in any way. I see nothing special about the story either.
"Special"? No, not really. Very few reach that level (like Death Note). But it's a very well done story with great characters and nice animation (that at one point was incredible). It's fast-paced and very packed and efficient in its story-telling. And they've done a very good job with the connection between the brothers, far superior to what was in the original series and it gives the show its heart and soul. Just adds that little extra to an already extremely well-done show
 #145931  by Don
 Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:00 pm
I don't think it's bad, but I don't follow most stuff serialized monthly because it's a much slower pace, though to be fair FMA does have a lot of volume for a monthly serial, unlike guys who do like 20 pages a month. I guess here being behind in general (in Anime) helps because there's more stuff to go through?
 #145933  by Zeus
 Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:17 pm
Don wrote:I don't think it's bad, but I don't follow most stuff serialized monthly because it's a much slower pace, though to be fair FMA does have a lot of volume for a monthly serial, unlike guys who do like 20 pages a month. I guess here being behind in general (in Anime) helps because there's more stuff to go through?
And that probably explains why the show is so fast paced and very packed with storyline and character advancement each ep. And it hasn't slowed down in 52 eps (haven't seen #53 yet). I was a big fan of the original but this remake series blows it out of the water
 #145934  by Eric
 Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:22 pm
Yeah the last 2 chapters for the manga have been like, 60 pages each, they're really trying to wrap it up heh.

Gonna miss it when it's gone.
 #145938  by Zeus
 Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:06 pm
Eric wrote:Yeah the last 2 chapters for the manga have been like, 60 pages each, they're really trying to wrap it up heh.

Gonna miss it when it's gone.
Me too. With Bleach on Naruto-length filler, I'll only have Shippuuden, assuming it doesn't go back to filler, to look forward to every week once Full Metal wraps up
 #145959  by Shrinweck
 Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:03 am
There's constantly 2-4 series worth getting into every new season. Why do you guys insist on the stuff that seems to go on forever? :P

As for FMA I regrettably lost interest a little before the season break. Depending on the reception of the ending I'll probably end up going back to it later.
 #145967  by Zeus
 Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:53 pm
Shrinweck wrote:There's constantly 2-4 series worth getting into every new season. Why do you guys insist on the stuff that seems to go on forever? :P

As for FMA I regrettably lost interest a little before the season break. Depending on the reception of the ending I'll probably end up going back to it later.
I'm a little particular about my anime, I don't just watch anything. Also, I don't really have the patience to scan everything that comes out each year and I really only end up picking up a new anime every couple of years so the long-running ones are perfect for me
 #145992  by Shrinweck
 Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:53 pm
But rarely is anything that goes over ~52 episodes worth watching. You don't have to download everything and see what you like. I spent maybe ten minutes reading about this seasons anime before deciding on what I'm most likely going to watch and I'll keep an eye on my sources to see if anything starts knocking peoples socks off. (BTW this seasons recommendation appears to be Arakawa - Under the Bridge)

I can't stand long running stuff because there's no ending in mind. They're going to keep doing shit until they don't feel like it any more. And then when they have to tie up all the loose ends it's a big pile of utter shit. I'm careful about what I get into, too, but time and time again the only things worth watching end up only doing 13ish episodes and sometimes 26.

My problem with long running anime is it's almost all fluff. The entire story lines themselves are fluff. It's one thing if you're in it for the cool fights but if you're in it for character interaction you're lucky to get 5 minutes out of a 20 minute episodes that's worth watching.
 #145998  by Zeus
 Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:51 pm
Shrinweck wrote:But rarely is anything that goes over ~52 episodes worth watching. You don't have to download everything and see what you like. I spent maybe ten minutes reading about this seasons anime before deciding on what I'm most likely going to watch and I'll keep an eye on my sources to see if anything starts knocking peoples socks off. (BTW this seasons recommendation appears to be Arakawa - Under the Bridge)

I can't stand long running stuff because there's no ending in mind. They're going to keep doing shit until they don't feel like it any more. And then when they have to tie up all the loose ends it's a big pile of utter shit. I'm careful about what I get into, too, but time and time again the only things worth watching end up only doing 13ish episodes and sometimes 26.

My problem with long running anime is it's almost all fluff. The entire story lines themselves are fluff. It's one thing if you're in it for the cool fights but if you're in it for character interaction you're lucky to get 5 minutes out of a 20 minute episodes that's worth watching.
Oh yeah, you do get that problem with the endless series'. For Naruto and Bleach, it's more of a shitload of filler than fluff. When it's not filler, Naruto is awesome. But for Full Metal, it's a little different. They restarted the series at a time when the woman was in the process of ending it so it's not really like the other endless series. There's a defined beginning and (almost) a defined end, it acts more like a 52 ep series.
 #146000  by Shrinweck
 Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:42 pm
Oh, I'd never call this actual FMA reboot fluffy or drawn out. The original was a tad like that but this one is pretty much all kick ass.
 #146005  by Eric
 Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:49 pm
BTW the Naruto Arc that started in 157 is the best part of the series(so far).
 #146012  by Shrinweck
 Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:17 pm
And it only took them over 3000 minutes of content to get to it ;)