The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney getting a live action film

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #152627  by Julius Seeker
 Fri May 27, 2011 6:31 am
http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/86417/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-live-action-film-in-the-works/ wrote:Capcom announced today that the hit franchise Ace Attorney is getting a film adaption. But it's not some hollywood blockbuster - this is a Japanese production. They also revealed the three main roles, with Hiroki Narimiya playing the lead role of Phoenix Wright (japanese name Ryuuichi Naruhodou), Takumi Saito playing the main character's rival Miles Edgeworth (japanese name Reiji Mitsurugi), and Mirei Kiritani playing Wright's sidekick Maya Fey (japanese name Mayoi Ayasato).

Evidently, the film takes place in a parallel world version of Japan where crime rates have skyrocketed, which has led to a new court system being implemented. In this new system, defense attorneys and public prosecutors have three days to settle cases in open court and determine the guilt or innocence of the accused, with the system prioritising speed over thorough investigation.

The film's studio Toei have said that they plan on using a lot of computer graphics and visual effects in the courtroom scenes to make them more interesting, but also mentioned that they plan on keeping the game's catchphrases like "Igi ari!" (Objection!) and "Kurae!" (Take that!).

Filming is scheduled to be finished in late June, and the film is set for a Spring 2012 release in Japan. The film is being directed by Takashi Miike.
 #152633  by Zeus
 Fri May 27, 2011 5:09 pm
Eric wrote:That'll be interesting. I mean I liked Death Note's adaptation. :P
Let's see if you still say that after the American version comes out....
 #152642  by Shrinweck
 Sat May 28, 2011 12:11 am
As far as I can tell that isn't actually happening. Also a Phoenix Wright film certainly should be worth a watch. I feel like this would lend itself to a better J-Drama crime procedural show though. Holy shit that sounds amazing. A bunch of one-off episodes and then the last one could be like four or five episodes with continuity that ties them all together like the game. A single movie would only take advantage of the novelty. Which is still, well, novel. I'm aboard.
 #152643  by Eric
 Sat May 28, 2011 12:44 am
Zeus wrote:
Well this is a Japanese version, Japanese adaptations I've found are fairly faithful, not the best films, but people that like the originals can enjoy them, unlike Dragon Ball, Resident Evil, etc.
 #152649  by Zeus
 Sat May 28, 2011 8:01 pm
Eric wrote:
Zeus wrote:
Well this is a Japanese version, Japanese adaptations I've found are fairly faithful, not the best films, but people that like the originals can enjoy them, unlike Dragon Ball, Resident Evil, etc.
I really enjoyed the 2-part Jap film. Different ending than the anime for sure, but it was still pretty solid