The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• HXH: Either I'm thinking too hard or others not enough

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #153972  by Don
 Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 pm
Part 314 came out and it seems like most people are of the opinion that Meryem is actually going to die.

Now unless HXH is going to end on part 315 I don't see Meryem dying. Consider that he is carrying around some kind of doomsday virus, and he just finally got his woman back, who is clearly NOT infected by the doomsday virus. So this guy is basically willing to trade everything for the woman he loved before he died, just so that his woman can die from the same virus? His only weakness is that he is obviously super honorable and far above things like trickery. I'd think after getting nuked and then hit with a doomsay weapon, him being the End of Evolution would figure out that he needs to employ some of his own trickery to deal with humanity. Besides, if a cure isn't found, that'd mean they just wiped out an entire nation to take out Meryem. As stated many times in the story, this really isn't something that's acceptable in the global politics.

Now, I don't think he's going to go on a rampage just because he got Komugi back. It's pretty clear Meryem is not warlike, and his view of humanity is pretty much like White Men's Burden, i.e. he's only doing it because as the leader of a superior race he feels obliged to conquer inferior races. But as shown many times in the story so far, he's not in a hurry to carry out his mission. Either he already knows how to cure the poison, or Komugi will learn how to (clearly her aura power is also off the scale, being the only entity in the world of HXH who has ever beaten Meryem in anything). He'll probably just take off with Komugi and promise to return to conquer the human civilization the day he finally beat Komugi in Hunter chess (Gungi).

Or I guess he could just die and HXH could end next week too.
 #153974  by Don
 Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:38 am
I wouldn't be surprised if Komugi is already pregnant. But since the virus spreads on contact if Meryem meets up with Komugi now she'd be dead too so he'd have to know there's a cure for him to risk his woman like that. I really like the fact that Meryem clearly values woman a lot more than world conquest. It's pretty obvious this was always going to be a point of contention, where you got Pitou who might as well be his concubine (I seriously don't know of anyone who thinks of Pitou as a guy unless you're one of those 'but it says so on the official books' guys), and then you got the jealous gay Pufu who clearly wish he was a woman. I mean honestly if the Hunters just give Meryem more women and maybe something like World of Huntercraft or whatever game he is currently addicted to, all this war could have been avoided. Heck, I'm sure for Meryem he'd find World of Warcraft to be more challenging than conquering the human race. They can even give him a copy of Greed Island and that'll at least keep him busy for a while...

Actually given how much MMORPG overtone there is in HXH, I think Meryem should just take his woman + royals and form the guild Team Chimaera or whatever.

Meryem would be your standard super duper player.

Komugi would be a god in PvP even though she's blind. Most likely Meryem will read her somethig like: "Orc hunter 3-2-1-5!" and she'd say something totally incomprehensible and that guy would be dead.

Pitou would be the guy that plays a female character who is constantly distracted, not that anyone would believe he's really a guy anyway.

Pufu would obviously be the multiboxer.

Yupi would probably stand in a fire and wipe the raid.

And in the end Meryem will issue a challenge to the world that someone has to defeat his Arena team in a 5v5 or he'd deem the human race unworthy to continue living.
 #153986  by Don
 Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 pm
Yeah, and I heard they kicked off some guys off Shonen Jump's serial list to make room for HXH too, so I really don't think it's coming to an end anytime soon. I guess it's possible Togashi just want to end the Chimaera arc but it's not like he's someone who was ever bothered by fan pressure.

Edit: I noticed those are just remakes of the Anime. Why don't they just make a "Hunters versus Spiders" and call it a day? It'd definitely sell like hotcakes. The Spider fanbase is downright illusional and their behavior online far surpasses anything I've seen from any series that has a remotely comparable fanbase. To be fair the Spiders are probably the coolest group of villians I've ever seen in Anime/Manga, so there's no shame in selling out!