The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• HXH 317: this isn't Hikaru no Go

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #154262  by Don
 Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:20 am
Part 317 is also utterly predictable, it makes you wonder why it wasn't part 315 where it'd logically flow in the story. Now, being predictable isn't bad, because it's predictable in the sense that you know Naruto will fight Sasuke one day in Naruto, but given the utter lack of surprise, its appears terribly out of place since it should have occurred first.

The biggest problem is that part 317 is an ending to the wrong manga, i.e. Hikaru no Go, and Togashi confused Meryem with Hikaru Shindo. Hikaru Shindo might be born to play Go, but Meryem wasn't born to be a Gungi player. He is either the Destroyer or the Savior. His role in life is not to find the Hand of God, even though he is clearly capable of doing it. Gungi might be the thing Meryem enjoys the most in life, but that was never his purpose in life. His purpose in life is either destroy humanity or save it (and he never decided on which one) and he never shied away from his responsibility. This isn't some sappy story about a guy who missed out on appreciating life because of other distractions. Throughout the story we see that he can basically rule a nation in front of a Gungi board. In fact, it seems like playing Gungi is the only thing he's doing when not physically engaged in a fight. His hobby and his purpose are not conflicting because he can clearly do both at the same time. I have no problem with Meryem wanting to play Gungi before he dies and probably finding the Hand of God in the process (though it seems like Komugi has already long surpassed the Hand of God realm), but playing Gungi is not why he exists.

I'm surprised still Komugi hasn't been able to put any ability into aura, even though she's clearly at the Hand of God if not surpassed it in her field of expertise. Most of the fake info surmises that either she or Meryem will create some kind of pocket dimension so they can play Gungi for all of eternity, and certainly either of those two characters seem powerful enough to do something crazy like that.