The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• New Prince of Tennis reign supreme again

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #155307  by Don
 Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:27 pm
Although I'm tempted to give this month's most ridiculous manga to Kuroko's basketball with a 81-0 score for a BASKETBALL game, in the end I think Kuroko is now relying on cheap shots as opposed to genuine talent to write ridiculous thing, and it's on par with Eyeshield's 21 of 'scoring 1 point in American football is enough to win if opponent scores 0', i.e. it might be more ridiculous than anything you've ever seen but it's done in poor taste.

In NPOT this month we got Tokugawa and Ryoma having their usual training that involves rallying with 10 tennis balls at the same time, and Tokugawa talks about how the Phoenix, Japan's #1 tennis player, is crazily strong and so on and so forth. At the end of their training, the Phoenix shows up, picks up a tennis ball, channels Dragonball-like energy in to the ball, and then hits it. Tokugawa does a standard 'take a hit for the main guy' as the ball somehow hits him and spins him 360 several times in mid air, and also makes a huge crater on the wall. But wait, the Phoenix is not done yet. He picks up a second ball and channels DBZ energy into it again, and impending doom surrounds our heroes. Are they going to become the first official deaths from the game of tennis?

Just before the impact, the mysterious hooded guy who wears the #4 tag jumped in, gets his racket, and return the serve. His hood falls off, and to absolutely no one's surprise, he's Ryoga, Ryoma's brother. The Phoenix catches the return with his hand, and probably decides to retreat since it's 1 against 3. The brothers are finally reunited again! And this is all about tennis!

On a side note, I don't get why Fuji is viewed as strong in the world of POT. He is basically the guy who always plays the #1 guy and get destroyed, and then say, "Well since anyone else would've got destroyed that means I'm still the #2". I don't think he has ever beaten anyone who would be remotely considered top tier without relying on truly cheesy stuff even by POT standards. His most recent match was against Tezuka in God mode and got promptly crushed and yet he talks as if he's Tezuka's eternal rival (at getting crushed) and this only motivates him to become stronger. I mean, the two other characters who can be considered Tezuka's rival at least beat him before, as opposed to losing 6-0 without scoring a single point even if Tezuka arguably wasn't going all out at that point.