The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Avengers!

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #156320  by bovine
 Tue May 08, 2012 1:37 am
Not bad.

I heard that there was going to be a new Prometheus trailer, but it was just the first teaser. WHAT THE HELL!!!!?!?!?!?
 #156321  by Shrinweck
 Tue May 08, 2012 2:41 am
Movie was good. Thor remains uninteresting. Hulk comes out as the best character which is still REALLY weird for me.
 #156322  by bovine
 Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 am
Thor had some good zingers in there.

I am always nerdfuriated with characters cast as multiple actors (stark's father and hulk) and actors cast as multiple characters (dude who dun played human torch and capmerica). But yeah, banner/hulk did seem to be the most interesting. Hulk really ripped some shit up.
 #156323  by Zeus
 Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 am
Chris Evans was so horrible as the Human Torch that I don't think it was a problem for him to become Captain America. It's not like he was a well-loved version of the character and you couldn't see him as anything else. This isn't Christopher Reeve getting cast as Frank Castle or anything. And it's been long enough that both of the films have been regulated to "forgotten" status anyways.

Fox is rushing to get another First Family movie out before the rights revert to Marvel (I believe it's the end of 2013 unless another film comes out), the latter of which would be every comic nerd's dream. I believe they're trying to do the same with Daredevil but I'm not 100% positive of that. My Lord, imagine Marvel ever getting Spidey, X-Men, and Fantastic Four back and they can incorporate all those into one continuous, sustained universe? That would be amazing to have that kind of continuity across so many films. They proved with the Avengers-related films that people will very much support a sustained universe across different movies, it would be neat to see them try it with all of their main characters and others throughout many different kinds of films. With the success of all their movies (even as a relative "failure", Hulk more than doubled its budget), their grand experiment worked. Tell me again why DC can't figure it out with far more established and well-loved characters related to Justice League?

The good thing is they all had individual films leading up to Avengers other than Black Widow and Hawkeye, who couldn't hold a full film with their characters anyways. So it was OK when there was no character development 'cause you already had it for 2 hours (4 in the case of Iron Man) before. Really, if Avengers is all you saw you'd probably be bitching about how nothing those characters were (Thor was particularly regulated and extremely 2D even when compared to the rest of the characters in Avengers). It just really depended on whether or not you liked what Whedon did with what was already established. $200.3M opening weekend suggested at least a ton of people wanted to find out.
 #156324  by Flip
 Tue May 08, 2012 9:19 am
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO over comic movies. I seriously doubt i'll see the avengers squad super powers mega team until it hits HBO or something.
 #156325  by bovine
 Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 pm
Flip wrote:I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO over comic movies. I seriously doubt i'll see the avengers squad super powers mega team until it hits HBO or something.
Maybe comic movies were over you first and just didn't have the chance to break up with you first. Did you ever think about that?

Yeah, didn't think so.
 #156326  by Flip
 Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 pm
I truly believe we are all geeks, and that is a good thing! A lot of my real life friends are geeks, too. However, comic books were so niche and are even older than we are, so i call them out all the time over the comic movie thing. Because they are geeks, they feel as if they have to freak out over everything geek? Besides watching the cartoons as a kid, I call into question some of the nerd glee most people think (or try to portray) they have for comic movies. The golden agre of comics was what, the 40's-60's?...

I think it was cool to have batman and superman as movies, but what the fuck are we doing nowadays? Thor, really? I consider myself a trivial knowledge aficionado, so he might be recognizable, but THATS it.

Please do not give me your comic resume to prove yourself, i really dont care. I'm just saying. Whats a good game example... if a huge pack of modern warfare 16 year olds geeked out about a Ninja Gaiden movie, i think we would all call them posers.

(P.S. Thats my best Kali impression. Well, no it isnt, given time i could be much more articulate and hurtful. :)
 #156329  by Zeus
 Tue May 08, 2012 4:39 pm
At the end of the day, these comic book movies from Marvel are just action flicks. If you like them you can just enjoy them at that level, particularly considering how the action genre is essentially half-dead. There's a reason Expendables 2 is allowed to occur, there are no action stars anymore
 #156588  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:36 pm
Flip wrote:I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO over comic movies. I seriously doubt i'll see the avengers squad super powers mega team until it hits HBO or something.
I'll tell you the same thing I tell my dad when he bitches in the same vein: Marvel is in the movie business. Get used to it!

Why have a Thor movie? Well, for one, I actually liked the Thor movie, and like his character. But, really, it's about Marvel re-creating the way stories are told. They are taking their experience in long-lived comic book series and applying them to movies. It's not about just the Thor movie. It's about creating all of the back stories for THIS MOVIE. This is their "eggs in one basket" payoff. And thankfully, they pulled it off.

It's just like Zeus said. If they hadn't had the backstory of all of the other characters, they would have had to spend too much time telling them. Ten years ago, trilogies became a useful (and profitable) movie device. Now, Marvel is telling the world: entire series of characters can be the backbone many different movies. Marvel is trying to take their entire universe of characters and apply it as a universe of character MOVIES.

And they are taking this shit very fucking seriously. For one, they merged with Disney a few years ago. I don't think it was a move about running out of money, but more like figuring out how to SAVE money. (Disney owns everything they need for making movies.) Several years before that, Marvel created their studios and were in the process of buying back all of the movie rights for all of the different movies. They DO NOT WANT another X-Men 3, another Spiderman 3, another Hulk fuck up. They want total control and now that they have a foothold in the movie industry, they have been fighting tooth and nail to tell Sony and all of the other movie companies: "We don't want you fucking up our 50-year-old IPs just for a short-term buck. We'll take back our characters and tell stories that don't bury the characters after the third movie."

How far are they willing to go? For one, they are already releasing a new Spiderman movie series only 5 years after SM3. Personally, I think it's a mistake, but I understand WHY they are doing it. They are trying to erase all traces of the old "will give out rights to anybody" Marvel, and establish their characters. Plus, Spiderman has been in the Avengers team before, so there's probably signs of crossovers here. I think they are doing the right thing with the X-Universe and just throwing a prequel bone every once in a while to make some money.

X-Men 3 ruined EVERYTHING, and shat on their universe for years to come. The character casting was fucking epic, so it's really hard to just "start over". (Every single fake "casting list" of an X-Men movie included Patrick Stewart as Xavier. You can't come back from that.) The amount of damage that X-Men 3 cost was multiple billions of dollars. I imagine that was a real wake up call for them.

Even stuff like Tron is getting some serious treatment. Tron:Legacy was the bookend, and they've spawned a bunch of prequels around that:

Tron: Evolution - Good VG; backstory about the ISOs.
Tron: Betrayal - Short comic book centered around CLU's coup.
Tron: Uprising - Centered around events just after the coup.

The latter is starting next week and it features:

Elijah Wood as Beck (the main character)
Bruce Boxleitner as Tron (the original Tron)
Mandy Moore, Paul Reubens, Lance Henriksen (better known as Bishop from Alien), Reginald VelJohnson (black cop from Die Hard), Tricia Helfer (of BSG fame)

Though not directly involved, the animation style is very Takeshi Koike (Animatrix's World Record) or Peter Chung (Aeon Flux) inspired.

Some serious fucking money and long-term planning in all of this...
 #156589  by Eric
 Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:42 pm
I enjoyed it more then I thought I would.

I've always leaned towards DC when it came to the movie side of things, but The Avengers was actually great fun.

Still looking forward to Spider-man's reboot and Batman's trilogy's ending.
 #156604  by Zeus
 Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:47 am
OK, Sine, you have it all confused. Marvel has no degree of control over Spidey, X-Men, Fantastic Four, or Daredevil right now. Like I mentioned before, the reason you keep seeing these quick reboots or sequels is so Sony and Fox (Sony owns the first, Fox the other 3) can continue to maintain their movie-making rights to those IPs. Marvel CAN'T get them back unless the other studios let them lapse and considering the coin they've made (from the first two especially; FF1 made coin but 2 not so much and Daredevil made just enough to release Elektra) that ain't gonna happen.

So Marvel is fucked when it comes to their biggest IPs and they know it. Sure they're making great coin off them but they can do SO much better if they did them themselves. I don't know how much longer the IPs will extend with the release of new movies, but in an interview I saw with Feige, he seems to be accepting the fact it's gonna be a while. That's why they went with Avengers over Spidey or X-Men, they had complete control after Fox (I believe) let Hulk lapse after the very underrated Ang Lee film from 2003.

The only hope you have is Amazing Spiderman fails miserably and Sony loses their shirt. Unlikely considering #3 was over $1B. Same with X-Men First Class 2 but after the success of the first, I would seriously doubt it. There's hope FF and Daredevil will be lapsed by Fox as I'm sure they're mulling the risk over the $200M+ investment vs licensing fees and expected worldwide boxoffice. That's where Marvel might actually be hurting themselves with their success, though. All of a sudden, superhero movies are "hot" in the industry, they may be willing to take another chance with the mediocre box office ones. Let's hope not.
 #156611  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:10 pm
Zeus wrote:OK, Sine, you have it all confused. Marvel has no degree of control over Spidey, X-Men, Fantastic Four, or Daredevil right now. Like I mentioned before, the reason you keep seeing these quick reboots or sequels is so Sony and Fox (Sony owns the first, Fox the other 3) can continue to maintain their movie-making rights to those IPs. Marvel CAN'T get them back unless the other studios let them lapse and considering the coin they've made (from the first two especially; FF1 made coin but 2 not so much and Daredevil made just enough to release Elektra) that ain't gonna happen.
Well, that actually makes more sense. Sony is just going to end up driving Spidey into the ground. That being the case, let it fail. It probably will fail. There's no point to a reboot this soon. As soon as it fails, Sony will consider the IP a failure, and either give it up by time-lapse or sell it back to Marvel.

Don't see it, let it die.
Zeus wrote:So Marvel is fucked when it comes to their biggest IPs and they know it. Sure they're making great coin off them but they can do SO much better if they did them themselves. I don't know how much longer the IPs will extend with the release of new movies, but in an interview I saw with Feige, he seems to be accepting the fact it's gonna be a while. That's why they went with Avengers over Spidey or X-Men, they had complete control after Fox (I believe) let Hulk lapse after the very underrated Ang Lee film from 2003.
Yeah, though the Hulk 2 film didn't really pan out all that great, either. In any case, Marvel is a loooong-term planner, so they will be fine with waiting for 10 years. They have plenty of other IP. I still can't believe that their IP/rights contracts don't have durations, or have this auto-extend BS. Imagine if Nintendo ended up fucking themselves over more permanently with the CD-i Zelda games.
Zeus wrote:The only hope you have is Amazing Spiderman fails miserably and Sony loses their shirt. Unlikely considering #3 was over $1B. Same with X-Men First Class 2 but after the success of the first, I would seriously doubt it. There's hope FF and Daredevil will be lapsed by Fox as I'm sure they're mulling the risk over the $200M+ investment vs licensing fees and expected worldwide boxoffice. That's where Marvel might actually be hurting themselves with their success, though. All of a sudden, superhero movies are "hot" in the industry, they may be willing to take another chance with the mediocre box office ones. Let's hope not.
I don't think it's so much as "superhero movies are hot in the industry". They are here to stay. Comics are starting to gain as much popularity here as manga is in Japan, both as an "alternative distribution medium" (Southland Tales 1-3, Star Trek: Countdown, Tron: Betrayal), and as basis material for movies/series (Blade, A History of Violence, Walking Dead, potentials for a Y trilogy).
 #156614  by Eric
 Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:26 pm
f u, new Spider-man looks awesome. ;p
 #156616  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:01 pm
Eric wrote:f u, new Spider-man looks awesome. ;p
No, f u. Sony has been butchering their IPs. They don't deserve them, any more. Oh, and fuck you, Sam Raimi. First you ruin Spiderman, then you pretend Legend of the Seeker is just another Hercules series (which also blows). Go back to shitty horror movies, you hack!
 #156618  by Eric
 Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:18 pm
*buys 2 tickets to spite you* Take that!
 #156620  by Zeus
 Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:29 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Eric wrote:f u, new Spider-man looks awesome. ;p
No, f u. Sony has been butchering their IPs. They don't deserve them, any more. Oh, and fuck you, Sam Raimi. First you ruin Spiderman, then you pretend Legend of the Seeker is just another Hercules series (which also blows). Go back to shitty horror movies, you hack!
You hated the first two Spideys or are you bitching about the 3rd solely?
 #156622  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:27 am
Well, they are rebooting the franchise, right? It doesn't matter if they make two really good ones and then the shitty one. The shitty one killed it.
 #156624  by Zeus
 Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:40 am
SineSwiper wrote:Well, they are rebooting the franchise, right? It doesn't matter if they make two really good ones and then the shitty one. The shitty one killed it.
But you're blaming the wrong person. There was an unspeakable amount of interference by Sony with #3. There's a reason Raimi was so demanding for #4 and why he ultimately didn't return, he was trying to avoid what they did to him during #3

Here's some quotes from Raimi on the matter: http://chadfuller.deviantart.com/journa ... -233400508
 #156627  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:00 pm
I suppose LotS wasn't his fault, either? Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the series, but it seemed like it disappointed the many people who were.
 #156637  by Zeus
 Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:20 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I suppose LotS wasn't his fault, either? Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the series, but it seemed like it disappointed the many people who were.
LotS?

The reason so many didn't like Spidey 3 is because it almost seemed like it wasn't even done by Raimi. It was very different, aside from his villain Sandman, Venom was odd, the emo scene is universally loathed, and a few other things. Peter couldn't turn out the way he wanted him to because he had to fit in the Venom storyline he was forced to add 2 weeks before shooting. But that's just the point: it wasn't Raimi's film. He was TOLD what to do and that's all but been confirmed in the interviews after and the fact that he was kicked off the series after demanding complete creative control to make his film the way he did with the first two.

You can blame him whole-heartedly for #1 and #2, they were his babies. But #3 was the very definition of studio interference.
 #156639  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:44 am
Legend of the Seeker
 #156646  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:39 am
I'm with you on that one for sure =)
Although I have found it difficult to get into any super hero movie outside of Batman, Spiderman, and X-men.

On your Thor comment. I am thinking the opposite.

You have:
The dude with the robotic suit
The dude with the frisbee shield
The dude who shoots arrows
The tits (her power is shooting a gun from what I have seen)
And the guy who's best known for destroying tanks when he gets angry

Why does Thor need these assholes? He's a War God!
 #156651  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:54 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Legend of the Seeker
Oh, he was exec producer on that. I would imagine he just was trying to make money off of it. He probably had as much to do with it as Spielberg had with Back to the Future
 #156652  by Flip
 Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:04 pm
I maybe saw 5 or 6 episodes of LotS before i stopped, and i read every novel in that dumb series.

The problem is that TV shows have moved on. We dont like Xena, Hercules, and Star Trek type series anymore. It needs to be WAY more series as the later Star Treks have done and shows like BSG. Oh lord, i forgot all about that series, now that you reminded me i'm getting mad all over again about LotS, lol. Why did Terry Goodkind approve of this!?
 #156656  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:38 pm
Julius Seeker wrote: On your Thor comment. I am thinking the opposite.

You have:
The dude with the robotic suit
The dude with the frisbee shield
The dude who shoots arrows
The tits (her power is shooting a gun from what I have seen)
And the guy who's best known for destroying tanks when he gets angry

Why does Thor need these assholes? He's a War God!
I liked Black Widow's character development, and they didn't try to oversex the dialogue. I mean, it doesn't even need oversexing. It's fucking Scarlet... in black leather... with long red hair... and a Russian accent. I couldn't even think of a sexier combination. It doesn't exist. It's like SEXY TIMES NINE THOUSAND! You can't go beyond that, right?

I also liked the "Paper Rock Scissor" games they seemed to play with each of the stronger characters. Hulk is the strongest force on the planet, but Thor can still go toe-to-toe with him. Iron Man can still give Thor quite a bit of trouble, but even Thor's unstoppable hammer is stopped by the Capt's shield. Oh, and Hulk > Loki.
 #156664  by Shrinweck
 Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:34 am
Also Thor is dumb as all hell. He needs them to direct him or he might as well not even be involved in anything but a direct fight.
 #156666  by Zeus
 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:30 pm
Flip wrote:Why did Terry Goodkind approve of this!?
Umm, his books stopped selling since kids don't read anymore and he wanted money?
 #156667  by Flip
 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:45 pm
Zeus wrote:
Flip wrote:Why did Terry Goodkind approve of this!?
Umm, his books stopped selling since kids don't read anymore and he wanted money?
I always knew he was a swarmy little nerd shit just by his book cover photo. :P

#156668  by Zeus
 Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:30 pm
Lucky for him he couldn't be teased as a "ginger" growing up.....oh, wait.... :D
 #156680  by kali o.
 Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:02 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I suppose LotS wasn't his fault, either? Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the series, but it seemed like it disappointed the many people who were.
I know zeus has already said it, but you can't blame Raimi for S3. In fact, give credit that it still came together as a comprehensible film despite the interference and changes. As for LotS, I like it -- you suck. XO

I really don't like the fact they are rebooting everything nowadays in a matter of years. Smacks of creative laziness.
 #156688  by Zeus
 Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:15 pm
kali o. wrote:I really don't like the fact they are rebooting everything nowadays in a matter of years. Smacks of creative laziness.
Smacks of keeping a hold of the IP. Once one director/producer/person-in-charge is gone, they quickly reboot. They won't want to be "hamstrung" by the films previously done to allow the next person-in-charge to "create their vision". You don't allow that, you don't get "top talent". Since the IPs are worth so much, they wanna keep them and make sure they still make OK films so bam, reboot.

The one I don't understand is Batman. WB owns it and they're the ones making the films, no IP issues there. So why all this talk about rebooting after the Nolan films? Why not just set it up so an up-and-comer creates not a whole new reboot but rather an extension of what was already done before? It's freakin' Batman and Nolan successfully made people forget about the Shitmaker films, why reboot? Why risk it?

That coupled with their massive inability to do anything even resembling what Marvel has done with their IPs just goes to show how incompetent they are at taking care of their characters. And they have Superman and Batman in-house. Imagine Marvel had Spidey, X-Men, and Fantastic Four?
 #156692  by kali o.
 Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:05 am
Zeus wrote: Smacks of keeping a hold of the IP. Once one director/producer/person-in-charge is gone, they quickly reboot. They won't want to be "hamstrung" by the films previously done to allow the next person-in-charge to "create their vision". You don't allow that, you don't get "top talent". Since the IPs are worth so much, they wanna keep them and make sure they still make OK films so bam, reboot.
Why did you use so many words to repeat my "smack of laziness"? You just added a bunch of half ass excuses in "quotes".
 #156699  by Zeus
 Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 pm
kali o. wrote:
Zeus wrote: Smacks of keeping a hold of the IP. Once one director/producer/person-in-charge is gone, they quickly reboot. They won't want to be "hamstrung" by the films previously done to allow the next person-in-charge to "create their vision". You don't allow that, you don't get "top talent". Since the IPs are worth so much, they wanna keep them and make sure they still make OK films so bam, reboot.
Why did you use so many words to repeat my "smack of laziness"? You just added a bunch of half ass excuses in "quotes".
Because it's not laziness. It's actually a ton of wasted effort
 #156700  by kali o.
 Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:11 pm
Zeus wrote: Because it's not laziness. It's actually a ton of wasted effort
Wasted effort? It's cash ins, nothing wasted about it. You act as if continuity is an impossibility in fiction. These IPs have endless established content to work from. Fucking two years down the road we are gonna get Avengers: The Younger Years. because it *needs* a reboot.
 #156703  by Zeus
 Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:32 pm
kali o. wrote:
Zeus wrote: Because it's not laziness. It's actually a ton of wasted effort
Wasted effort? It's cash ins, nothing wasted about it. You act as if continuity is an impossibility in fiction. These IPs have endless established content to work from. Fucking two years down the road we are gonna get Avengers: The Younger Years. because it *needs* a reboot.
You do realize we agree, yes? I'm just sayin' that it's not laziness, it's a studio doing what a studio does, milking an IP without understanding what it takes to take care of it. The "wasted" part refers the effort put forth to "re-define" things that don't need it. They're just putting their efforts in the wrong place as opposed to there being a lack of it