The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Anyone here seen AI?  I saw it; not totally awesome, but I liked it.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#45418  by Tortolia
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:38 am
<div style='font: 9pt arial; text-align: left; '>I heard it was quite good until the last 40 minutes.</div>

#45419  by Ishamael
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:50 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Some people say it sucked throughout. It all depends on you, really. I didn't mind the last 40 minutes too much, though it was very wierd. This is one of those flicks you really have to see and judge for yourself...</div>

#45420  by Lee S.
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 1:19 am
<div style='font: 9pt arial; text-align: justify; '>I rather liked it. Pretty depressing overall, I thought, but definitely worth the money I paid to see it.</div>

#45421  by Eric
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 1:40 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>How long is it? Did it drag-on?</div>

#45423  by Torgo
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 7:06 am
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I would say it was a fairly interesting movie, worth a look. The last 40 minutes weren't bad, IMO, just totally unexpexted.</div>

#45425  by S.Cody2
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 10:32 am
<div style='font: 14pt Plakatbau; text-align: left; '>155 minutes. Second only to Pearl Harbor.</div>
 #45432  by Gentz
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 1:09 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Basically, I think people think the movie sucks because they go in there expecting a film about robots and the future - in other words, something simple and direct and everything that A.I. is not. Really, it's a fairy tale set in a time when fairy tales seem impossible. The world they created was beautiful, and achieved the ultimate goal of fantasy - being utterly surreal while still remaining believable (or forseeable, perhaps). Not only that, but it's probably one of the most visual movies ever made. I think Spielberg pulled off KubrickKubrick better than KubrickKubrick himself. The movie was so full of detail and visual metaphor that it blew me away.

It's times like this I'm glad I get to see movies for free. I'm giving this one another go.</div>

#45437  by Lee S.
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 2:58 pm
<div style='font: 9pt arial; text-align: justify; '>For a while I considered it a story of a futuristic Job.</div>

#45439  by S.Cody2
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 3:11 pm
<div style='font: 14pt Plakatbau; text-align: left; '>Does Jude Law turn into a pillar of robotic salt?</div>
 #45447  by Gentz
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:55 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>The basic foundation of the Job story doesn't really seem to fit very well though...none of David's beliefs or ideals were really being challenged. If anything, the obstacles in his path made him want to seek out his goal even more. The hardships Job faced were meant to shatter his faith, while those that David faced strengthened him in his quest.

of course, i'm just an idiot...</div>

#45459  by Lee S.
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 2:54 am
<div style='font: 9pt arial; text-align: justify; '>Yeah, I came to that conclusion myself.</div>
 #45478  by Ishamael
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:21 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>As far as David being strengthened in his quest by his obstacles, I don't know about that. David was programmed to go after his mom, so that's what he tried to do, no matter what. Thus, I don't think he necessarily derived strength from anything so much as do what his software told him to do.</div>

#45479  by Ishamael
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:24 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>You damned leech.</div>

#45539  by Zeus
 Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:58 am
<div style='font: 10pt "Arial bold"; text-align: left; '>The movie, IMO, was shy of greatness. I liked the way the story went, but the process became a bit tedious as Speilberg tried to make it more appealing to the mass audience. Kubrick woulda just run with it, Speilberg tried to mold it</div>

#45540  by Zeus
 Sun Jul 08, 2001 1:01 am
<div style='font: 10pt "Arial bold"; text-align: left; '>The contrary. The last 40 minutes is where the story develops. The middle hour is where it just turns into another Hollywood sci-fi flick. It's a bit too long and Speilberg tried to mainstream it a little too much</div>

#45541  by Zeus
 Sun Jul 08, 2001 1:01 am
<div style='font: 10pt "Arial bold"; text-align: left; '>Yes, it dragged for the middle hour or so</div>