The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Saw Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within....

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #45619  by Ishamael
 Sat Jul 14, 2001 5:21 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>This is not a very good movie. There are several moments in the film that are very well done, but they don't last long enough and are very spread out. I can take a sci-fi movie having a bad plot if it delivers in some other area, namely action. Is there action in this movie? Yes. But it is very unsatisfying to watch people shoot lasers at translucent alien thingies,especially when half the time, shooting them seems to be an exercise in futility anyway. There were moments of cool action (esp some of the dream sequences), but as I said, they are few and far between.

The visuals? Excellent from a technical standpoint. But they are just not enough to keep you interested. Why? This really ties into my earlier point about the lame action in this movie. The visuals aren't enough to keep you interested, NOT because the plot is bad so much as the characters really aren't <i>doing</i> much of anyting interesting. Sure we get nicely done scenes in space, we get humongous, lumbering phantasms, and there's a pretty nicely done action sequence near the end. With maybe the exception of the action sequence on the station near the end, most of these become boring because we just get used to them. While it's technically impressive to have hair flow like that, and equally impressive to have animated characters show such levels of emotions, it ultimately makes for boring filmtime. After a while, I became habituated to the high level of the visuals and I needed something, ANYTHING to keep me interested. And the film doesn't deliver.

Well, to wrap this up, I must point out the Doctor's character. While most of the characters have high and low moments as far as the animation is concerned, the Doctor was consistently well animated and looked almost real in many scenes. Don Sutherland did an excellent job with his voice also.

And this brings me to James Wood's evil general. I don't get why they tried to make this guy such a bad guy...Anyway, I'm tired, so this is an abrupt end to my rambling review. ;)</div>

#45621  by Torgo
 Sat Jul 14, 2001 9:48 am
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Oh come now...was a new thread rerally necessary? :)</div>

#45624  by Tessian
 Sat Jul 14, 2001 12:48 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Of course not. Ish just likes to feel like he's important :)</div>
 #45625  by Tessian
 Sat Jul 14, 2001 12:55 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>If you have such high expectations for movies.. you're not going to enjoy much. And I don't agree with anything you said about the visuals, you just got a short attention span.

and the "evil general" wasn't really evil.. he was just blinded by rage. His family had been killed by the phantoms and he wanted revenge.. he wanted them to suffer as he has. He thought he was doing the right thing, he wasn't doing it just to be evil. Admitted, he did do evil things to get his way.. but his ultimate goal was noble, if not missguided.</div>

#45626  by Eric
 Sat Jul 14, 2001 1:13 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>I'll........take it into consideration. :P</div>

#45628  by Ishamael
 Sat Jul 14, 2001 3:58 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>My expectations for movies are pretty mediocre, considering how many I go to. FF was a boring, barely mediocre film, even given some of the great technical leaps.</div>

#45630  by Kupek
 Sat Jul 14, 2001 6:49 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Verdana, Tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>It's a matter of expectations. You expected a lot, didn't get it, and were dissapointed. I didn't expect much, got more than I thought I was going to, and was pleasantly surprised.</div>

#45631  by Eric
 Sat Jul 14, 2001 8:48 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Actually I take it back, Ish has the average movie goer's view on the movie.....</div>

#45633  by ManaMan
 Sat Jul 14, 2001 11:43 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Helvetica; text-align: left; '>I agree, an amazing movie visually and action-wise but it all seemed not to matter much with the Nippocentric video game plot.</div>

#45634  by Tortolia
 Sun Jul 15, 2001 1:00 am
<div style='font: 9pt arial; text-align: left; '>I expected one of the recent FF style plots with better graphics and no random battles. I got that.</div>

#45635  by S.Cody2
 Sun Jul 15, 2001 3:20 am
<div style='font: 14pt Plakatbau; text-align: left; '>What FF have you been playing? Heh.</div>

#45637  by Manshoon
 Sun Jul 15, 2001 5:11 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Times New Roman"; text-align: left; '>It's kind of hard to have low expectations when the FF name is behind something.</div>

#45640  by Ishamael
 Sun Jul 15, 2001 1:45 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>No. As I told Eric, my expectations for this movie were average (which is to say, they were nonexistant). The only thing I wanted was to be engaged by some aspect of this film. I expected the visuals to do that, but they didn't. That said, the visuals are still the best part of the film.</div>

#45641  by Ishamael
 Sun Jul 15, 2001 1:46 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Only without the interactivity or the engagement that comes with the video games....</div>

#45642  by Ishamael
 Sun Jul 15, 2001 1:57 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Actually, I didn't think the actions was particularly amazing either. But yeah, the visuals, from a technical standpoint, were very very nice...</div>

#45644  by Kupek
 Sun Jul 15, 2001 3:28 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Verdana, Tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I had heard bad reviews of it, which is partly why I had low expectations. I also knew there was a chance it wouldn't be good. Episode I taught me not to set my expectations too high.</div>

#45648  by Stephen S.
 Sun Jul 15, 2001 9:29 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>That's not a very ringing endorsement.</div>