The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• What is Jungle Music? Is this some new form of techno? I can say that word around here in WashDC (Go-Go music capitol of the world).

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #50105  by G-man Joe
 Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:08 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>What is Jungle Music? Is this some new form of techno? I can say that word around here in WashDC (Go-Go music capitol of the world).</div>

#50107  by ManaMan
 Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:05 am
<div style='font: 12pt "Courier New"; text-align: left; '>If you have the time, go download "Demon's Theme" by LTJ Bukem.. that's probably the best example of "Jungle" I can think of.</div>
 #50132  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:39 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Jungle is usually defined as the jazzier end of Drum & Bass, as opposed to Drill & Bass, Darkstep, etc. For examples, see LTJ Bukem, Roni Size, Aphrodite, Lamb. For examples of the other end of D&B (more electronica than jazz), see Aphex Twin, Mu-ziq, Squarepusher. They tend to use drum machines (with very electronic sounds) to their advantage, while the old skool (jungle) guys use audio clips from real drums to use in drum loops.

(Or maybe D&B is a sub-genre of Jungle. In any case, the words don't matter too much as long as you know the meaning. Hardcore old skool ravers and the new guys tends to have two different definitions on some sub-genres, or words mixed around. Techno is short hand for the old skool "electronica", but "techno" is a old skool sub-genre for progressive electronica music, the misc catagory. Thus, petty debates ensue.)

The effect on either one is usually faster than a drummer would want to handle, unless he had a second drummer that knew how to synchonize well with his partner. Even then, there are faster forms of D&B with hardcore and gabber. Hardcore is kinda rare. You might have heard of happy hardcore with cheesy riffs in a fast 160-180bpm tempo. A good example of talented hardcore (non-cheesy) would be Underworld's Tin There remix of Pearl's Girl. And gabber is really rare, because the tempo is maddening, which makes you even tapping your feet exhausting. It's still fun to listen to at a rave once in a while, but it's not exactly my idea of regular CD music.

ManaMan's example of LTJ Bukem's Demon's Theme is a good example. Other good songs by Bukem include "Music", "Close to the Source", "Undress Your Mind", "Coolin Out", and "Horizons". Also, check out Boom Boom Satellites' "Intruder"-->"An Owl", which is an awesome hybrid of electronica and a drum solo.

For more information, check out <a href="http://phobos.plato.nl/e-primer/jungle.htm">The Electronica Primer's section on Jungle</a> (old skool lingo mostly).</div>