The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Saw Matrix 2

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #55148  by Zeus
 Tue May 20, 2003 1:54 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Can't really give a full opinion since this movie is really nothing on it's own other than another chapter. Final opinion on all 3 movies will come in November, when we finally have the entire story. Unlike Lord of the Rings, we're not looking at how well it was translated over to screen, we just don't know what the full story is yet....

Very, very good overall, but with a few complaints. These are minor ones which keep the movie from the top tier as opposed to bringing it down to Pearl Harbor level (just like my complaints from the first):

1) What is Agent Smith's motivation for going after Neo? I know it's because of Neo that he was destroyed, which led to his ostracization, but it can't just be a you-got-me-so-I-gotta-get-you thing. I mean, he can basically dominate the Matrix and do whatever he wants, yet all he tries to do is get in Neo's way. Just seemed like a tacked-on bad guy in a lot of ways when they coulda used him so much better.

2) The freakin' love story dominating again. The entire orgy/love scene was just a waste and a half, the thing between Link and the sister of Tank and his little bro was tacked on, and Neo saving Trinity by putting his hand into her chest and reviving her - which in turn revived her in "real life" - was a little, um, much. The last one might be remedied by what happens in the final chapter (easily explained if the "real world" is just another Matrix) but at this juncture, seemed a little ridiculous. I had zero issues with him pulling out the bullet, that's fully within his grasp, but him reviving her the way she revived him was a little lame....

3) This one is probably purely a product of the fact the third film isn't out yet, but what the hell was with that guy who almost assassinated Neo? There was NOTHING on him at all, he just wanted to kill Neo and boom, he was there at the end....stupid. But that will for sure be solved in the next one, just like my complaint on how Zion was ignored in the first one was solved by this one.

Like I said before, because these are really one big movie with different chapters as opposed to 3 separate films, I really can't finalize my opinion until all three movies are out. The second is definetely an excellent extension of the first and solved some issues I had with the original, but I swear, this love story is gonna be the bane of the series. At least I'm used to it, it doesn't get to me as much as it would. They just have to tack on love stories in all of these freaking big-budget flicks, it's required.

Still, I can never forgive the kiss in the original (even though I'm OK with the flying and the lack of explanation on Zion now) and I think the heart pumping of Trinity to bring her back to live might join it, but there still is that possibility that both can be "OK" if properly explained in the third chapter. The first two just didn't fix that major problem</div>