The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• I watched Hulk yesterday...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #55640  by Lee S.
 Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:25 pm
<div style='font: ; text-align: left; '>I noticed how much Kali O. hated it in the post below, and I have to wonder - is it because you weren't impressed by how it didn't connect to the story of the comics very well? Because I can honestly tell you guys that I've never read a Hulk comic in my life, and I thought this movie was actually quite good.

Most especially in the way that it was shot - why no director before Ang Lee has had the common sense to shoot a comic book movie in the direct style of a comic book is beyond me. I thought it was exceptionally well executed and enhanced my overall enjoyment of the film. At no point did I say, "The Hulk looks so fake" and I was pleased by the way the characters were treated like people as opposed to caricatures of people (like DareDevil).

This is the first movie that I've watched in a while where I was not only impressed after I watched it, but openly impressed <i>while</i> I was watching it. Normally I have a tendency to watch films from a distance and then reflect on what I thought when it's over, but Hulk drew me in almost from the beginning and got me genuinely interesting.

If it wasn't at all true to the story, I suppose I can understand why you'd be upset. But did it at least <i>sort of</i> adhere to it? What, in particular, was different between the movie and the comics? I'd genuinely like to know.

--Lee S.</div>

#55642  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:52 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>I kinda figured Kali was just talking some shit. He didn't like the Enter the Matrix game for some reason either.</div>

#55646  by Eric
 Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:06 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Enter the Matrix is a pretty plain game, it's there to expand the Matrix story just a bit, but not much.</div>

#55647  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:47 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I'm having fun with it. Unlike some of you hardcore PC gamers, I never got to play Max Payne or anything with bullet time.</div>

#55654  by the Gray
 Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:51 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I saw it last night with my sister, we both enjoyed it more than Spiderman.</div>

#55655  by G-man Joe
 Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:25 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>I think people are expecting instant gratification from this movie. They don't want a STORY about how he becomes the Hulk but rather - "Be the Hulk in 10 minutes or the movie sucks!" Pah!</div>

#55657  by Zeus
 Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:53 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>How much did you like Spiderman, though?</div>
 #55673  by kali o.
 Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:39 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>The WP I watched was missing some audio and sfx...and maybe a LOT of the boring shit was cut out? I dunno...but man, the would have had to cut A SHITLOAD of film to make the Hulk even remotely entertaining.

*shrug*

Who knows though...me, I don't enjoy two minutes and 30+ alternative mini-shots of helicopters flying over barren desert...you, maybe you like that.

I'll watch it again when a Screener gets released and see what's changed.</div>
 #55674  by kali o.
 Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:50 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Square wheels in driving sequences and uninspired level design your thing? More power to ya!

KO-</div>