The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• I watched The Hulk yesterday. It actually wasn't bad at all (no real spoilers)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #55664  by Zeus
 Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:11 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>A little more violent than you'd expect, particularly near the end, but that's a good thing, Hulk wasn't exactly a ballerina. And for all the quams I had about the CG look, the graphics were actually quite impressive and seemed pretty seamless overall. I wouldn't exactly call them realistic, after all, this is a 12 foot beast who transforms to and from human we're talking about here, but very well done nonetheless. The first 45 minutes or so is a bit slow as they explain EVERYTHING, but they kinda make up for it at the end. From a pure visual point, you really need to see this in the theatre first, I think, especially a nice theatre. It's worth at least one viewing, even if it is on a cheap night. I'll not pay to see it again, but when it comes on my (free) satellite dish, I'll definetely make a point of seeing it again; and maybe even get the DVD if it has some cool stuff on it. Also, I'm sure there will be a split vote on the shooting style of this film, but personally, I like it.</div>
 #55667  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:55 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I'll give the overall first. I thought it was somewhere between a worthy effort to a so-so film. There was an OVER-emphasis on the enviornment at times, where dialogue needed to be added (I mean, at least 20 minutes of the film were akward silences where no one spoke, makes me think of my phone conversations with girls in my earlier years.) and where dialogue was added, there was an OVER-abundance of it. You had to sit through a lot and soak up a lot of information, especially at the beginning as Zeus mentioned. Sometimes these over-abundances of dialogue and non-dialogue made the film seem like it was chugging through 40 tons of Mrs. Butterworths. Most of the time I was rescued by Jennifer Connolly being on camera (DEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM) or Eric Bana making weird faces as the Hulk. I didn't read a lot of the comics but who was Nick Nolte supposed to be? As in which super-villan?

The things that most impressed me was the Hulk's movement and Ang Lee's attention to detail. If the Hulk did something in one camera shot to alter the terrain or enviornment, Ang made DAMN sure it looked the same in the next scene. These continutity errors I hate in a film, and Ang did a good job of paying attention to them, as he should have. He used so many cuts in the film. I counted 24 cuts in 1 minute 30 second period. While it's nice, it made me a bit ill while watching the film, that and bundled with the fact that I had to piss like a race horse when the 2 and a half hours was over almost meant I didn't make it to my other movie.

I didn't know who Eric Bana was until I saw his face, he's the fucking badass Delta in Blackhawk Down! Kudos man, I'd like to see him in more films, but he's got to work on the acting a bit. Stan Lee's cameo in the first few minutes was, well...uneccessary, and I think he could have picked a better spot.

Anyway, the film was ok, but I won't pay to see it again.</div>
 #55672  by kali o.
 Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:30 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Shame on you...Hulk sucked. At least the workprint I saw.</div>

#55675  by G-man Joe
 Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:04 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>The employee who uploaded that workprint copy in the Netherlands server was arrested.</div>

#55681  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:22 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>He looked amazing on the big screen. I thought he looked like shit in the commercials, but I was wowed at the theatre. It really needs a big screen to get the full effect the first time I think</div>

#55682  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:24 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>The father's role was SEVERLY altered for the film from my understanding.</div>

#55734  by the Gray
 Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:37 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>He seemed to take the place of the Hulks Nemesis from the comic books, Emil Blonsky.</div>