The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Saw Supersize Me this weekend. Excellent documentary that everyone should check out if they can and should be shown to all children in school by the age of 14. You'll never look at that Big Mac the same again.... :-)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #58876  by Zeus
 Tue May 25, 2004 1:22 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Saw Supersize Me this weekend. Excellent documentary that everyone should check out if they can and should be shown to all children in school by the age of 14. You'll never look at that Big Mac the same again.... :-)</div>

#58886  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 26, 2004 6:50 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I think I have that in my Netflix queue. Funny that I never heard of it until I spotted it on an article.</div>

#58888  by Kupek
 Wed May 26, 2004 7:10 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Luckily, I haven't eaten that crap for years.</div>

#58889  by Tortolia
 Wed May 26, 2004 8:15 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://bigempire.com/filthy/">Spurlock wins the Captain Obvious award.</a>

I'll just link to Filthy here. I've had this discussion on another board and don't have the energy to do it again.</div>

#58894  by Zeus
 Wed May 26, 2004 9:30 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Hmm, keep doing it, don't go to doctors, and all will be well? Hardly a concrete arguement :-) At the very least, people can see the real effects of it if they see the film instead of it just "being bad for you"</div>

#58895  by Zeus
 Wed May 26, 2004 9:32 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>It was pretty indie 'til it was shown at Sundance. Then, when McDonalds decided to eliminate SuperSize options and put "more healthier choices" on their menus the day before it was released, there was a media craze. McD gave it HUGE press because of that</div>

#58896  by Zeus
 Wed May 26, 2004 9:37 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I vacationed in LA and Vegas for 8 days last week and I had no choice. It was unreal. Unless I wanted to pay 3x for the food. Up here, you at least have somewhat of a choice.....</div>

#58897  by Kupek
 Wed May 26, 2004 10:20 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Burger King has a veggie burger, which I've had quite a few times. But even in Vegas, I expect to find some reasonabley priced diners and such around.</div>

#58899  by Zeus
 Wed May 26, 2004 12:10 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Not anywhere close to the strip. You'd have to walk a ways, and all the reasonably priced stuff is burgers, fries, potatoes drown in gravy, hot dogs, etc. Vegas is quite expensive for food now</div>

#58912  by the Gray
 Wed May 26, 2004 6:20 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Tell that to my Aunt who just had a Stroke. Doctors said it was due to the Atkins diet she started 3 months ago, her 'bad' cholesterol went through the roof in 3 months.</div>

#58913  by Tortolia
 Wed May 26, 2004 6:30 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I don't know if you people have ever read his reviews before, but he's being sarcastic through much of it. Talking about the movie itself is where he's serious, which is what I was actually going for.</div>

#58916  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 27, 2004 5:51 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>All that, and I still never heard of it until recently.</div>

#58917  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 27, 2004 5:54 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I do believe that acting like you're showing a counterpoint by showing a sarcastic article is definately not the effect you're going to be getting. Being sarcastic with a movie review doesn't make you look sarcastic. It makes you look stupid.</div>
 #58918  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 27, 2004 6:20 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I once paid $500 for a 16-month membership to a gym for the two of us. Net result: we periodically went for a month. I thought the fact that I paid that much money for the membership would motivate me to go, but I considered it cutting into what precious free time we have.

I know I'm going to have a heart attack if I don't shape up. I have a genetic disposition for one. Great-grandfather died of a heart attack. Grandfather died of a heart attack (prompting my grandmother to drink herself to death, literally). My mother would have had the same heart attack, but modern medicine prevented it. (She has a couple of stints in her heart and takes quite a cocktail of heart drugs.)

I think I need an indoor bike that I could use for 10-30 minutes, so it doesn't take so much time. (Going to the gym was a 2-hour affair.) But giving up good-tasting food for diet cola (bleech!) is hard to do.</div>

#58919  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 27, 2004 6:23 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I always thought that the Atkins diet was too severe anyway. When people lose 60 pounds in a month, that's not a good thing.</div>

#58920  by Tortolia
 Thu May 27, 2004 8:11 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I told you, I've had this goddamn movie discussion on another board, I'm not getting tangled in it again. I was simply providing a link.</div>

#58921  by Kupek
 Thu May 27, 2004 9:07 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>If you actually read the article, you'd get his point. And I agree with one of the author's points: the fact that eatling lots of McDonals is bad for you is not news.</div>
 #58922  by Kupek
 Thu May 27, 2004 9:40 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>For me, going to the gym is more like a three or four hour affair, depending on how long I spend there (usually two to three hours) and how much time I spend afterwards cooling off at home (often as long as an hour).

I think the key realization is that you can't squeeze regular workouts into your current schedule. Working out regularly, staying in decent shape, is really a lifestyle choice. It takes up a significant chunk of your time, and you will need to make accomodations. First, you have to have fun doing it. I love lifting weights. I love running. I find it fun. The gym is like a playground for grownups. If you don't get any enjoyment out of it, you're not going to keep it up.

That sorta goes against my subject message, but that's okay. I think the problem with exercise bikes is that they're boring. I can't sit on an exercise bike or a treadmill for longer than five minutes. I run outside. It's far more interesting and fun. And the nice thing is, you can come home from work and on a whim decide you want to go for a run.

And I figure I should throw this in about lifting: increasing muscle mass increases your rest metabolism. Even if you don't want to get really buff, lifting is good for you and has tangible benefits.

I've come to see it as one of my hobbies - like playing videogames or reading books. Except that it sometimes (often) takes precedence over my other hobbies. And that's okay, because unlike playing videogames, lifting and running is physically and emotionally rewarding.

What has worked for me is once my schedule is set (that is, one the semester has started, or my work routine has started), I figure out what days of the week I can work out. And then, one those days, <i>I work out</i>. The only exceptions are if I am sick, or if my work load has become such that working out will effect my work performance. I think that making a schedule and sticking to it is very important.

And I agree with you, diet soda is disgusting. I solve that problem by almost never drinking soda. If I'm thirsty, I drink juice, water or milk. (100% juice, not the sugar water crap that's 10% juice.) I am actually more reluctant to drink soda than I am beer. That struck me as odd until I realized that I really only drink beer on particular occassions (someone's over, we're out at a bar), so my opportunities to drink beer are far less than soda. But at one point, the thought of drinking sugar water to quench my thirst was just sickening. Trust me on this: juice tastes better than soda. There's a lot of 100% juice blends out there that taste really, really good.

It's really not that hard to cut out a lot of crap that you eat. I really don't eat snack foods; at my apartment, I use cereal as a snack food. And I don't really miss crap food. Eating well (or at least decently) makes me feel better about working out, and working out makes me feel better about eating well.

Are there any community recreation centers around you? I've seen a lot of rec centers with good gyms. Their membership fees are going to be a lot cheaper.</div>
 #58923  by Julius Seeker
 Thu May 27, 2004 10:57 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Carbs are the first source of energy, protein is the second. If you have no carbs in your body, then your body will break down protein in order to produce energy. Fat is the third source of energy. What you want in your diet is high carbs (assuming you'll burn them off) and high protein.</div>
 #58924  by Julius Seeker
 Thu May 27, 2004 11:31 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>>I once paid $500 for a 16-month membership to a gym for the two of us. Net result: we periodically went for a month. I thought the fact that I paid that much money for the membership would motivate me to go, but I considered it cutting into what precious free time we have.

I have a membership to a gym, but in reality, the only time I ever use it is when a bunch of us decide to go for a little work out, I will never go to the gym alone. Why not? I have all the free weights I need, I don't mind the cold whatsoever (I'm used to running in it, even as low as -40 wind chill, the coldest mornings of the year). The thing is, you can't look at it like it's something you just do, and something that might cut into your free time. Look at it like it is the most important thing in your life, like your health depends on it. I've written my advice a hundred times before on this site (probably literally). Unless you make it the most important thing in your life, you will probably fail, it's as simple as that; I have seen a lot of people fail at it before.

Look at things this way, you have 168 hours in a week, use 40 working, use 50 sleeping, that leaves 78 hours in your life that you have to fit in showers, brushing teeth, and eating somewhere into. Weights only take a few hours a week, running at first will take you less than an hour a week. Start with small weights, and work your way up. Remember, this is your body, if you really want to be serious about being healthy, these workouts will take priority over everything else which goes on in those 78 hours.

>I know I'm going to have a heart attack if I don't shape up. I have a genetic disposition for one. Great-grandfather died of a heart attack. Grandfather died of a heart attack (prompting my grandmother to drink herself to death, literally). My mother would have had the same heart attack, but modern medicine prevented it. (She has a couple of stints in her heart and takes quite a cocktail of heart drugs.)

That's something that you should try to prevent, I would actually highly recommend just dropping everything and changing your life now. You could have 50+ healthy years ahead of you, or none, just think about it, you could be more healthy at age 75 than you are now, and all the time between.

>I think I need an indoor bike that I could use for 10-30 minutes, so it doesn't take so much time. (Going to the gym was a 2-hour affair.) But giving up good-tasting food for diet cola (bleech!) is hard to do.

My advice, use your own two legs, go out every second day and see how far you can run, kill yourself running. Also, what is good tasting food for you? Do you like tuna? Broccolli? carrots? eggs? how about steak? potatoes? I used to drink a lot of Coke myself, now I can't even stomach the stuff, it makes me sick to drink any kind of soft drink (except Fresca, for some reason I love that stuff =P). To be quite honest, I eat a ton, I don't watch what I eat, but then again I hate cake, I hate ice cream, milk shakes, fast food, anything like that, even though once in a while I'll get some BK =P

I also really like to swim, swimming is an extremely good way to spend time, and if you like biking, try that too.

On supplements, they're something I recommend using, but only once you know yourself. Kind of hard to explain, but don't bother wasting your money on them until you've been working out for at least 2 years AFTER you have begun building muscle, at least, likely it will be 4 or 5, and even as high as 7. I've used protein supplements for the last 2 years, and they do work wonders, but ONLY when you know what your doing, and ONLY after you have already exshausted the potential of regular food, which is something that is certainly not a short term thing.

You also don't need to be huge, but it's a nice feeling to be larger, stronger, and faster than everyone else. Once you begin seeing results, it will become like an addiction for you; guaranteed.</div>

#58930  by Zeus
 Thu May 27, 2004 1:23 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Atkins is dumb. I lost 160 pounds in 8 months and never had health issues. There's a difference between low carb and no carb</div>

#58931  by Zeus
 Thu May 27, 2004 1:24 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Yes, I knew that, hence the smiley face.</div>

#58932  by Zeus
 Thu May 27, 2004 1:26 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>No it's not, on any level. It's just a whack over the head thing, saying "look at how bad it REALLY is", something that people need every now and then</div>
 #58934  by Lox
 Thu May 27, 2004 1:51 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I know how Sine feels cuz I fall into the same trap of thinking it takes so much time.

That's why I'm going to dedicate myself to waking up at 7am every day instead of 7:45 and running or lifting every weekday and Saturday (maybe rest Sundays). It's all about making the time to get things done.

You and Kupek have really good points. Seriously, it's your body, the only thing you can really take 100% care of so why not do something that's going to make you feel better in every way?</div>

#58935  by Eric
 Thu May 27, 2004 1:58 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Errr so what kind of diet did YOU follow? I remember when you were telling me you were huge.</div>

#58936  by the Gray
 Thu May 27, 2004 3:30 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>It was simple, he ate smaller portions of good food & he excercised more. Funny, he almost lost my entire body weight.</div>

#58937  by Don
 Thu May 27, 2004 4:08 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>It's always easier to trust some diet than actually exercise, which is why people will buy whatever miracle diet of the day.</div>

#58938  by Kupek
 Thu May 27, 2004 5:33 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Good for you, Zeus.</div>

#58939  by kali o.
 Thu May 27, 2004 10:06 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Atkins works great, 99% of people don't understand that the Zero carb cleansing is only supposed to last 2 weeks tops.</div>

#58951  by Ishamael
 Fri May 28, 2004 1:18 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>160 lbs?!! Wow. Congrats.</div>

#58952  by Ishamael
 Fri May 28, 2004 1:19 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>This movie has been getting a lot of hype,but I can't quite understand why. This moron ate 5,000 calories a day of junk and went from being fairly healthy to badly out of shape...and this is supposed to be a revelation. I don't get it....</div>

#58953  by Ishamael
 Fri May 28, 2004 1:26 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>heh, pretty nice review. This is movie smells like a gimmick stretched into a "documentary". I'll probably see it (I'll watch almost anything once), but the press surrounding this thing is unwarranted....</div>

#58954  by Ishamael
 Fri May 28, 2004 1:30 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Ah, the good old fashioned way. I didn't think people still dieted that way. :)</div>

#58957  by Zeus
 Fri May 28, 2004 3:01 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>merci</div>

#58958  by G-man Joe
 Fri May 28, 2004 3:43 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>I knew you were fat before....but damn! You were once two people fat?</div>

#58960  by Eric
 Fri May 28, 2004 5:03 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Bah, fat jokes lose their punch once the fat person loses half their body weight. :P</div>

#58961  by Kupek
 Fri May 28, 2004 5:19 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Has G-Man ever concerned himself with taste or humor value in his jokes before?</div>

#58962  by Eric
 Fri May 28, 2004 5:25 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah, just not with Sine! Zeus lost the weight so it's a moot point to throw a fat joke his way.</div>

#58975  by Zeus
 Sun May 30, 2004 12:20 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I'm 6'2", 180lbs is actually thin for my height, so there's no way i coulda been 2 fat people ;-)</div>

#58976  by Derithian
 Sun May 30, 2004 3:02 pm
<div style='font: italic bold 14pt ; text-align: center; '>so you were 6'2 180 and you lost `60 lbs. damn man how are you still alive</div>

#58977  by Zeus
 Sun May 30, 2004 4:01 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>6'2" and 360...then lost 160</div>

#58990  by G-man Joe
 Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:28 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Fine Hand"; text-align: left; '>I wasn't making fun of him being fat NOW. I was surprised that he had the weight of two people combined. Gray said Zoos lost 160 pounds. A lot of people weigh that much.</div>

#58992  by Ishamael
 Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:38 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>And then you ran off to Vegas and got married. Why'd you do that? Oh man, you could *really* be living the high life now. ;)</div>