The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Family Guy got new life why the hell can't we get another season of futurama?!

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#60534  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:58 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I've been wondering the same thing ever since the Family Guy announcement.</div>

#60536  by SineSwiper
 Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:03 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Because Futurama isn't as good as Family Guy?</div>

#60537  by Eric
 Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:34 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Stop that right now. The Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy all go hand and hand. Futurama started slow, and got better. Family Guy started kinda rocky and polished itself, and the Simpsons set the norm.</div>

#60538  by Gentz
 Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:52 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Futurama is too smart and subtle and it isn't edgy enough to gain as huge an audience as Family Guy.</div>

#60542  by SineSwiper
 Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:53 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>No, I've seen all three, and I have to say that Seth MacFarlane kick Matt Groening's ass.</div>

#60543  by Zeus
 Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:32 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Me too, and Family Guy, as great as it is, takes A LOT from classic Simpsons</div>

#60550  by Zeus
 Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:57 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I just finished watching the first season of Futurama. It's like they took all the good writers from Simpsons and moved them over to Futurama. And you're right, it actually requires some thought and culture to understand a lot of the jokes, so you can see why it just goes over most people's heads.</div>

#60551  by Zeus
 Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:00 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I could be mistaken, but wasn't there a lot of friction between Groening and Fox over Futurama? It could be as much a pissing contest as anything right now. And I believe the DVDs have sold pretty well (which is why all 4 seasons are out so quickly), enough to show Fox there's an audience to do more</div>

#60555  by Torgo
 Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:41 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I'll say it does. Their delivery is very reminiscent of older Simpsons episodes.</div>

#60563  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:07 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>But, Family Guy has the flashback scene down to a science. "Eat My Shorts" doesn't hold a candle to it.</div>

#60564  by Stephen
 Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:04 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Family Guy also does about ten of those each episode. Some less funny than others.</div>

#60577  by Lox
 Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:30 am
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah, but who ever thought "Eat My Shorts" was funny? Now, the way The Simpsons sets up 1 joke only to throw out an even funnier one is their style, which is why I love both. Why make a competition? Let's just love them both. :)</div>

#60600  by Zeus
 Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:26 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>For sure, Family Guy's flashbacks are the best. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't owe a lot to classic Simpsons</div>

#60631  by SineSwiper
 Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:05 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Maybe, but we can still say that it's chalked up to evolution. Family Guy's more evolved than The Simpsons (or even Futurama).</div>

#60632  by SineSwiper
 Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:07 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I'd have to say that I'm laughing out loud to about 90% of them.</div>