The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Elephant...This film made me sick to my stomach...see the film, but do it awhile after you've eaten.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #60605  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:48 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>The most disturbing film this year. HBO really knows how to fuck with people. The film was shot kinda like a Tarentino film (sequence) and like The Rules of Attraction (Individual character stories occuring in the same time as other events). Excellent filmmaking, to bad the story kinda sucked. So you have two angsty teenagers with parents that really don't give a shit, living in middle america with an arsenal and shooting things in their parents garage. Reminds me of an Eminem track. Eric and Alex were too cold as killers. What I mean is that they just seemed to kill randomly with no motive, even though the film forshadows a motive. Specified targets were ignored sometimes. The director gets it wrong where he has the boys kill a girl in the library in my opinion. The reason being is because other school shootings, similar to this movie, show that the killers actually sympathized with people who resembled them. If you saw the film, that girl was also an outcast and yet she gets killed as well. I didn't get why Eric knocked off Alex at the end either.

There were a couple of comical parts in the film as well. For example when the three girls eat lunch and then go to the bathroom. I found it laughable. Also, the girl that comes into the bathroom while the three of them are in there would not have came in there as calmly as she did while Eric was behind her. A line comes to mind from the movie "The Professional" said by Natalie Portman "She always wanted to loose weight, she probably never looked better." I just couldn't help but think about that.

There were a few glimmers of light in the film. John has a shitty life. His dad is a drunk, but he hears him say at the end of the film that he's sorry.

I guess this film was meant to show two sides of the story. One being thankful for life, and the other having no regard for it. The extremes are seen in this film with a very small amount of a grey line. John's perspective, I think is probably the best part about the film. How could a day that started off that bad get any worse?</div>

#60608  by Eric
 Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:17 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Oh please, I've been nulled to violence. The only thing that could make me lose my lunch is if I take a shot of vodka and it goes down the wrong pipe...*shudder*</div>

#60613  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:07 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Done that with bacardi...definitely unplesant. Just about as unplesant as this film was to watch at times. No, just about as unplesant as waking up to the person I was with two nights ago. Yeah...that's unplesant.</div>

#60614  by the Gray
 Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:18 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I think I wrote something about this film 2 months or so ago. Yeah, it's an impact movie.</div>

#60615  by Eric
 Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:05 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>As long as the person doesn't have a tree with with 2 apples you're good.</div>
 #60633  by SineSwiper
 Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:40 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>The way they portrayed the killers was cool. They were extremely calm, intelligent, and completely planned. They pretty much knew they were going to die, but they wanted to spite their enemies first. As far as the students go, I think they just regarded all of the students as the same enemy, mere targets for their fun. Most of all, they wanted to have fun before they go. Sweet revenge.

Eric killed Alex as sort of an desperate extension to their game. Alex was commenting on how they pretty much ran out of targets, and Eric realized there was one more still standing, so he shot him. No regrets, because they knew they were going to die anyway. Their method of monotonal targets is an uncommon one, but still possible. I agree with your position on how most shootings go, but they were going for a slightly different angle.

I liked the film, and Shellie didn't. She thought it was pretty stupid, I guess because she couldn't see that as being possible. I've been an outcast myself, so I guess I can understand the POV, even if I don't agree with it.</div>

#60653  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:41 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Yeah, that's almost how i felt about it as well.</div>