The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Saw RE2...oh the horror. I've come to the conclusion, because of my stance a gamer, there is no way I'll ever be able to enjoy a video game movie, unless it mimics the game like Lord of the Rings mimiced the book.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #60703  by Eric
 Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:20 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Saw RE2...oh the horror. I've come to the conclusion, because of my stance a gamer, there is no way I'll ever be able to enjoy a video game movie, unless it mimics the game like Lord of the Rings mimiced the book.</div>

#60704  by Eric
 Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:45 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>I mean would it kill the fucking director to sit down and play the game? It takes 2-4 hours TOPS to play through the game. You're gonna be filming the movie for MONTHS. I'm not saying video games have the perfect plots, but when you change alot of the plot and somehow make it worse somethin's wrong!</div>

#60707  by Gentz
 Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:04 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Eh, it was decent. At least Nemesis had a rocket launcher</div>

#60708  by Eric
 Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:10 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Nemesis was a bitch.</div>
 #60709  by Eric
 Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:25 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>RE:A is proof positive that the studios really have no idea what they are doing when it comes to making video games adaptations to film. This is the third time Paul W.S. Anderson has been involved in a videogame film, and all have been met with lukewarm response from fans and critics alike. Studios only see the numbers and the fact that all of these film's have, at least after international release and video, turned up some decent profits. They need to listen to the word on the street, the fans, who are sick and tired of seeing their favorite games destroyed on screen. Comic book films used to have the same reputation, but daring choices by the studios of interesting directors like Bryan Singer, Sam Raimi and Guillermo del Toro have finally given fans films that live up to the characters they love. If we all stop paying to see garbage like RE:A until the same respect is shown to the videogame projects, maybe there is some hope for the future.</div>

#60710  by Torgo
 Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:56 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>At least he said "STARS." I was the only one in the theater who laughed at that.</div>

#60711  by Eric
 Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:58 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>One time, oh joy.</div>
 #60714  by Torgo
 Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:17 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>As a zombie movie, it wasn't great. The director kept on using choppy camarea work and blurry lenses to hide the fact that the zombies had almost no make up work. The editing was so quick that they never showed anyone really getting eaten. I was beginning to think that the movie had a PG-13 rating until I saw the zombie strippers.

It had its moments though. I liked the undead rising from the grave, and I also thought that the undead schoolkids was a nice touch.

As for the storyline, even though the plot was radically changed from the games, I found the little references to be refreshing. I'm surprised that they kept the original design for Nemesis, not to mention the "STARS" line. The scenes with the authorities battling the zombies in the city was also reminiscent of the game. Granted, cops shooting shooting hordes of zombies in the streets isn't new in these kinds of movies, but the ones in RE:A seemed like they were taken right out of the game cinematics. And seeing Alice pulling off Claire's move from the Code Veronica intro made the fanboy in me leap with joy. I understand that closely following a game does not a great movie make *cough House of the Dead cough*, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy these scenes.</div>
 #60715  by Eric
 Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:55 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>The reason I LIKED the first movie is because there WERE NO TIES. When you start bringing things from the game into the movie you better damn well pull it off correctly.

I'm just gonna start from things that just stood out as wrong: Nemesis: His primary objective should have been STARS members. THERE WERE ONLY 12 STARS MEMBERS! This wasn't a giant unit of people! They were 11 handpicked people including Wesker himself to find out about the disappearances that were happening around town. That's what made Nemesis stand out in the 3rd game because it was an open assassination attempt by Umbrella to shut up members of STARS. I understand they've created this character Alice, but the movie SHOULD have revolved around Jill having to run from Nemesis while Alice provided backup. Alice is not an interesting character. She's like a lame attempt at making somebody cooler then Wesker that fails horribley. And they made Jill into some kinda bad ass, lighting up ciragettes and shit trying to be hard. Jill wasn't that much of a bad ass, she was quiet. She was a bad bitch, doing what she had to to survive in her own right, but she wasn't cussin, she wasn't smokin, and she didn't try to be bad ass(i.e. walking into a police station and shoting zombies like it's nothing).

Speaking of badasses, did anybody else notice that Nicholai, the fucking badass killer merc in RE: Nemesis was reduced to a bitch who took orders from Carlos? Not only that you let him be killed by 2 dogs? Nicholai was like the lead asshole behind Nemesis in the game, not only that in some of the sequences he was just cold.

Example from the game:
When Jill reaches the office, Nicholai is already there. He
has just killed another UBCS trooper who was infected with
the T-Virus. Jill demands that Nicholai explain why he shot the
man, who was still conscious. Nicholai explains to Jill, as
if it's obvious, that it took fewer bullets to kill the man
before he became a zombie. His callousness horrifies Jill.

Example 2:
Carlos takes the head doctor's private elevator to the fourth
floor. The hospital is crawling with Hunters and the occasional
zombie. There, in the hospital's file room, he finds Nicholai,
who is holding a smoking gun and standing over the body of
another UBCS member. Carlos has a lot of questions for Nicholai,
but the only answer Nicholai has is that he--Nicholai--is
"one of the supervisors." That's all Carlos needs to know.
Nicholai points his gun at Carlos, but before he can fire,
the man on the floor pulls the pin on a grenade. Both Carlos
and Nicholai run for cover, and Nicholai winds up going out
the fourth-floor window.

Then you've got Alice & Nemesis and their lame relationship. Bitch! This chick fought Nemesis, literally hand to hand. I wanted to walk out of the theatre at that point. Do you know how many handgun bullets? How many shotgun shells, gernade launcher, and magnum rounds I spend trying to take that fucking Nemesis down in the game? Only to see some suped up uninteresting character come in and beat him down with her fists? That shit was LAME. Then they decided they hadn't ruined the character of Nemesis enough, THEY WANT TO MAKE HIM A GOOD GUY! THEY WANT TO MAKE HIM SAVE PEOPLE! WTF! I couldn't believe that shit! I got a headache watching this cheese on the screen. It was horrible!

Other assorted problems of course was alot of the action, they just had the camera spinning around wildly so you couldn't tell what the hell was going on. I expected as much, small budget, just cashing in on the fans who occassionally go see this crap. Zombies coming out of their graveyards was cool. The lickers were cool. Nemesis uttering STARS was cool, even though I wanted to hear it alot more often, because it reminded you he was after YOU and terrorising YOU.

I know what I sound like, but like I said in the first post, you can't be into whatever comic/game/anime, that gets put on the big screen and butchered and expect to be happy. It's just a slap in the face. At least Marvel Universe characters are getting some respect, games? None! We get this bullshit.</div>
 #60717  by Derithian
 Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:40 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>This was also the problem I found with RE. The fact that it kind of tried to stick to the third games story which really was what made it not work....the first one was great because they pretty much ignored the games which I liked cause it sort of added a new chapter to it....which really made it more interesting. It made it so that well, you didn't have to play the games and even if you did you couldn't complain about characterizations because it didn't involve anyone from the games....The second has that problem. it tries to follow the games but takes creative liberties that aren't there. game purists will sit and complain they didn't get the characters right at all and people who have never played the game will merely look at it as a low quality zombioe movie.

Comic book movies leve room for interpretation because really comics are all about different universes....well marvel is...at least DC cleaned that up and merged them all. Marvel has a problem with that and so the movies can take on any form they want. I lvoed Punisher because it was a fresh take on a boring character. I also thought daredevil had parts that were good as well...Well the casting was pretty good the script just sucked massive donkey nuts. Spider man is fantastic as it's like the ultimate line. a fresh look at an old character. X-men also. Marvel can get away with that because hell, they break continuity all the time. AND FUCK THEM FOR BRIUNGING BACKL COLOSSUS WITH A "HE WAS NEVER DEAD EXCUSE" He was fucking dead and buried and ah fuck it you all hate comics anyway. All I'm saying is that comic movies don't need to follow continuity when they are done by marvel. DC movies while suckingt for the most part have been in continuity....welll outside of catwoman and that just shows why DC should stick inside continuity for their movies.

Game movies for teh most part either have to ollow the game perfectly or be like the first resident evil was and follow continuity to the letter. which it did. until this piece of shit second movie that broke continuity and ruined characters....oh not to mention it being a sub par zombie flick....</div>

#60719  by Zeus
 Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Of course, I was actually quite surprised that it wasn't complete and utter junk like all the reviewers said. I think it's on par with the original, so if you liked that one (I did) you should like this one as well. If you didn't like that one, you'll hate this one as well</div>

#60720  by Zeus
 Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:20 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Did you also notice that Valentine was walking and holding her gun JUST like in the games?</div>

#60724  by Derithian
 Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:27 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>you mean like she had a really long stick up her ass and rollerblades on her feet that allowed her to turn in place without moving her feet?</div>

#60729  by Stephen
 Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:01 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>It was amazing how many of the little things they kept while turning everything else inside out. Just because Jill's now an empowered femme fatale who chain-smokes and spits one-liners doesn't mean she can't still dress like the world's prettiest hooker.</div>

#60730  by Stephen
 Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:04 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>It was amazing how many of the little things they kept while turning everything else inside out. Just because Jill's now an empowered femme fatale who chain-smokes and spits one-liners doesn't mean she can't still dress like the world's prettiest hooker. Oh, and the pimp was inspired.</div>

#60731  by Stephen
 Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:07 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I'd say it's at least ten times as good as the original but for one reason: it didn't take itself too seriously.</div>

#60732  by Stephen
 Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:12 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I'd say it's at least ten times as good as the original for one reason: it didn't take itself too seriously.</div>