The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• 80's Music

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #92321  by Nev
 Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:36 pm
I went on a Napster binge the other day (I still love that service, despite what anyone says) and got most of the chart-toppers from about 1980 to 1995. I found great songs I'd never heard, as well as a lot that I'd heard but didn't know the artist or name of.

Martika's "Like Toy Soldiers" (which Eminem sampled for his song of the same name on Encore) may be the best song I'd never heard before. I absolutely love John Parr's "St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)" - "Gonna be a man in motion, all I need is a set of wheels". Starship's "We Built This City" is also awesomely good, despite being ranked by Blender as the worst song of all time (how did the entire magazine staff ever get their heads that far up their asses?), and I got a bunch more good stuff like a-ha's "Take On Me", Van Halen's "Living on a Prayer", Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing"...

I miss the 80's...

#92322  by Shellie
 Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:42 pm
At work, I listen to streaming Sirius radio from the web, and I constantly either have it on the 80's or the 90's station.

#92324  by Nev
 Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:48 pm
Bless your heart, Sera...

#92485  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:36 am
It's no secret I am a gigantic fan of 80's music, and early 90's. Both eras had tons of great pop bands coming out all the time. Nowadays, it's usually only a handful per year, but during those eras they came by the dozens. Also, most of the pop bands now are just trying to mimic pop bands from earlier periods, and doing a bad job of it. I hated most of the late 90's early 00's pop, all just bubblegum dance crap.

#92486  by Zeus
 Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:47 am
I'm a fan too. Can't stand about 95% of today's music.

#92499  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:49 pm
Zeus wrote:I'm a fan too. Can't stand about 95% of today's music.
There are some really good new bands, but mostly all popular music is just music that tries to mimic the 90's and is doing a bad job of it.

#92587  by Oracle
 Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:18 pm
Yup, I have a crapton of 80's and early 90's music on my playlists. As far as new songs go, some are ok (yea, I'm one of those Hey Yea fanbois) but for the most part, it's unoriginal garbage. If I had to say what I've been most impressed with lately, it'd be Green Day, but then again they aren't really *new* music and don't have to establish themselves anymore. I just like hearing their distinct sound put to new music.

#92591  by Zeus
 Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:27 pm
Oracle wrote:what I've been most impressed with lately, it'd be Green Day
Yeah, speaking of musical talent, those guys took off what, a whole year or two to learn an extra musical cord? That brings their total up to 4. I was forced to listen to them by my friends for years, I'm fully aware of their lack of talent. It was this forced exposure that entrenched Green Day as my most hated band of all time.

Green Day actually epitomizes what I dislike about today's music: no talent and boring drudge.

That's my opinion. Let the flames begin :-)