The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Dungeon Defenders - DLC

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #158527  by Don
 Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:39 pm
I decided to go back to Dungeon Defenders and was checking out the DLCs. The base game is $15 and the major DLC pack is $13, and the complete DLC pack is $45. They're also more expensive if you bought them seprately as opposed to all at once, which would have to be case if you were buying them as they came out.

Now Dungeon Defenders is a pretty good game but you're looking at $30 for just the core game and $60 for everything and it's most definitely not a title worth that much money. I checked online and there's about 20 total games on their server, which isn't incredibly small (there was never that many games to begin with) but certainly it's not exactly a ton of games. I know people can do whatever they want to make money, but I think at some point the game makers themselves has to say to themselves "is this stuff really worth that much money?" And there's more than just a lost sale because if you put stuff that seems like it ought to be part of the game but just charge a lot for it so that no one buys it, people will definitely remember that. I mean let's be honest here, Dungeon Defenders is at its core still just a tower defense game.

I was reading that Asian F2Ps are more like whaling in the sense they don't even really care about guys like you or me at all. The game is setup to try to get guys to spend $1000 a month on a game and whether you or I care for the rest of the game is wholely irrelevent to the game makers. I guess this works as a business model but there are only so many whales out there and it strikes me most games with DLCs are more like whaling attempts, without realizing that the number of whales out there is still very small. At some point it's got to be better to make a game for the rest of the fishes.