The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Blizzard lore

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #159061  by Don
 Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:51 pm
I'm never one to say Blizzard lore is good, but I've noticed they've the oddest pattern. Blizzard's idea of drama seems to be take an originally semi decent one dimensional character and replace him/her with an even more one dimensional character, and sometimes not at all. For example Deckard Cain died in Diablo 3 for no reason whatsoever, and gameplay wise it really sucked not to have someone who can identify all your items at once. Nobody would think Deckard Cain as a deep character but he serves his purpose. Fenix died because a Zerg Queen cast Spawn Broodling on him and now we have Artanis who heads the Tassadar Fan Club. Bolvar Fordragon is an empty character whose only claim to fame is that he can solo 8 Onyxian Warders at once, and he's replaced by Varian Wyrnn who can't even do that and somehow comes across as worse than doing nothing. Thrall is replaced by Garrosh. Even Edwin VanCleef got replaced by Vanessa VanCleef, and I'm not even sure why we're supposed to care about the latter. In fact, it seems like a joke that Edwin VanCleef actually died in the hand of a pickup group of 5 Alliance characters, and more so that this is actually part of the plot. Edwin VanCleef is roughly like Fippy Darkpaw of EQ1, he's the somewhat cool first named guy you're likely to ever kill in WoW (well, besides Hogger) as an Alliance. He doesn't have an interesting story but he gets bonus point for being the first guy that matters, and now we don't even have that.

I realize you don't want to rely on the same characters forever but it'd really help if you actually make sure the new characters you use aren't much worse than the ones they're being replaced. People shouldn't be asking for Deckard Cain to come back just so that there's someone who can identify all.