The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• X, not Y is really overpowered

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #165054  by Don
 Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:04 am
One interesting I noticed is that there are some kind of gaming argument in the form of the subject, "X, not Y, is really overpowered". Here, we'll have a case where X is clearly way overpowered. It'd be like say if Shin Akuma is a playable character in a Street Fighter, or 11 out of 10 uber players recommend that you should play this class. Now it's not unusual for people to defend their overpowered stuff but usually the argument is more along the lines of 'L2P' and generally is made by players who are not necessarily very good. From my experience the guys who make this argument are exceptionally good at whatever the game is, which makes it all the harder to believe they'd actually think something else is overpowered compared to whatever X is. You'll usually see these guys making a very serious effort to get whatever Y is nerfed, even if no one seriously thought Y was out of whack. I used to think it's just class vendetta but now I'm wondering if this is some kind of elaborate scheme to draw attention from the overpowered stuff. Of course, then the next question to ask is, does going through all this trouble even work? Well, it might work if you think the devs of a game are dumb, though in that case you probably didn't need to go through all that trouble in the first place.

A classic example in MMORPG would be:

X = some overpowered class that can kill people in one hit.
Y = voice communication with skilled players

E.g. "It's not class X that can kill people with one hit that is overpowered, rather that skilled players with voice communication is what's overpowered."

I guess it sounds sophiscated, but honestly, to me, L2P is a more compelling argument.