The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Touhou: unreasonable mechanism

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #159152  by Don
 Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:55 pm
Thought it's interesting I came across near the same time Megaman X Street Fighter came out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_aQiKoe ... ults_video

Some guy hacked the TH12.8 engine and designed some ridiculous hard level. Skip to around the 16 minute mark if you don't want to see all of the details on the gruesome 220 deaths. That said, if you look up the hacks by the same guy he normally gives infinite respawns in place as opposed to one death = game over (this version is obviously meant to induce people to smash their monitors), and the level design would actually be pretty interesting if it's not one death = game over. I normally don't like the borderlining masochist tendencies that shooters demand but this was actually pretty funny to watch, because the level is actually well designed, especially the bosses, to put up with this. Unfortunately this game got hit with a cease & desist probably for being way better than anything Touhou ever actually produced and even the Chinese boards don't have it. That brings me to another issue, it's pretty hilarious how the copyright stuff is always ignored if it was issued by some big guy (at least someone will always try to break it), but on the discussion boards people are all saying it's totally okay for ZUN to do a C&D on a game that's way better than anything he ever did because it involves a hacked engine. I mean the artwork of TH12.8 isn't even drawn by ZUN so I don't think he even owns the character sprites, and there's a reason why all the hacks come from TH12.8 because it's literally the only Touhou shooter features respectable looking female characters. Again this is kind of like the Megaman situation because I'm sure if Capcom just turned over the copyrights of Megaman to the fans we'd have something better than whatever was produced for Megaman in the last 10 years or so. Okay I realize people/company have to make money, but I don't really think they were making that much money from Touhou/Megaman anyway.