The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• win trading

• Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
Because playing them is not enough, we have to bitch about them daily, too. We had a Gameplay forum, but it got replaced by GameFAQs.
 #165130  by Don
 Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:56 pm
So I was reading a thread about people bragging how they're win trading and that people are on a voice chat room 24/7 to purposely to lose to a game where games are asynchronously and match can be relatively easily and arbitarily chosen and declined and all outcome of matches can be trivially decided. Now, virtually every game where there is win trading people will tell you that it's very hard to err, agree to purposely to lose to someone. What I'm wondering has these win trading experts been around since the days of Starcraft 1. I know someone definitely got there in the first season by win trading, and Starcraft is a huge game so you'd need to be able to coordinate hundreds if not thousands of people on your plan, and back then there probably wasn't voice chat or even a place you can easily put hundreds of guys to coordinate something! But people still managed to figured out how to beat the system! I can see 20 years from now, in the gaming equivalent of ESPN you'd probably see interview with these old guys in a program like: "Man or Myth, top of Starcraft 1 ladder without voice chat?" They'll be interviewing this old guy behind a mosiac censor and it'll be like:

"Back in my days, we had to arrange our win trading with email."
"Sometimes your connection gets disconnected because it's on dialup and it'll undo weeks worth of manhours!"

For that matter, they can make a documentary for the GerBarb or RussBarb or whoever was the first guy that hit level 99 in Diablo 2, where we can learn how it was possible to reach level 99 with nothing more than commands like /w GerBarb join game XYZ.