The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Grindhouse

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #106357  by bovine
 Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:15 pm
this movie took me by surprise. It's like what snakes on a plane wanted to be.... but this was good. (also, I haven't seen snakes on a plane.... so I guess what I'm trying to say is that I ASSUME this is what snakes on a plane was trying to pull off)

#106358  by Tessian
 Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:35 pm
Snakes on a Plane was just a bad movie with an attention grabbing premise....it wanted to be an excellent B movie but it was actually just another bad yet semi-entertaining hollywood movie.

I want to see Grindhouse, and what it sounds like from you is that it pulls off what they tried for. Awesome.

#106359  by Chris
 Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:38 pm
it depends....planet terror was sorta blah.....however the trailers were quite awesome....I would love to see a grindhouse 2 with machete and thanksgiving......Deathproof was geniusly twisted...tarantino stoleded the show with that one

#106360  by bovine
 Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:54 pm
Planet Terror was just so good because it was so cheesy. Deathproof was also good, but it was distinctively Tarantino... I think they were different enough to make them incomparable. Planet Terror was just hilarious and gory.... haven't seen a movie like that in a long time.

#106362  by Anarky
 Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:36 am
I really didn't like death proof, I just felt it was too slow for my taste after seeing planet terror. Plus Kurt Russel was kinda pussified

#106363  by Chris
 Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:45 am
Anarky wrote:I really didn't like death proof, I just felt it was too slow for my taste after seeing planet terror. Plus Kurt Russel was kinda pussified
and just what were you smoking before you went and saw it? What kinda tardo juice were ya drinkin

#106366  by Nev
 Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:53 am
Chris Hansbrough wrote:and just what were you smoking before you went and saw it?
I think you must have Anarky confused with me! XD

#106369  by Zeus
 Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:06 am
Anarky wrote:I really didn't like death proof, I just felt it was too slow for my taste after seeing planet terror. Plus Kurt Russel was kinda pussified
Yeah, kinda how I felt. Plus Death Proof started out VERY slow. Felt like a 45 minute movie stretched to an hour and a half. It ended very well but just felt too long.

I think Tarantino's lost it, this was just more proof. And yes, I disliked the Kill Bill films

#106371  by Chris
 Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:23 pm
Zeus wrote:
Yeah, kinda how I felt. Plus Death Proof started out VERY slow. Felt like a 45 minute movie stretched to an hour and a half. It ended very well but just felt too long.

I think Tarantino's lost it, this was just more proof. And yes, I disliked the Kill Bill films
yeah but you have really shitty taste in movies so we can just write that one off....
:p >:)

#106382  by Anarky
 Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:35 pm
Chris Hansbrough wrote:
Zeus wrote:

yeah but you have really shitty taste in movies so we can just write that one off....
:p >:)
For once I agree with Zues, Tarrinto is losing it, I'm starting to think Tarintino thinks to much of himself as this golden god after doing great movies in the 90s then just being a lazy ass and being a presenter and doing minor parts for other directors. And to be honest Kill Bill was So-So at best.

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are amazing though still

#106384  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:11 pm
Ah, I despised Kill Bill, it was a movie I disliked for many of the same reasons I disliked 300.

...Though I have been hearing that Grindhouse is quite good.

#106390  by Tessian
 Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:44 pm
The Seeker wrote:Ah, I despised Kill Bill, it was a movie I disliked for many of the same reasons I disliked 300.
You hated Kill Bill for its historical inaccuracies??

#106395  by Flip
 Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:24 am
Tessian wrote:
The Seeker wrote:Ah, I despised Kill Bill, it was a movie I disliked for many of the same reasons I disliked 300.
Nono, the best parts of both movies were the titty scenes. Oh wait, Kill Bill didnt have any of those....

Im only kidding, i understand what you are saying Seek, but i'll have to completely disagree. It looks like you hate the over-the-top violence and easy plots. To me, the ridiculousness of Kill Bill vol 1 and 300 is an art form in itself. I thought both were well directed and the special effects for both were top notch. Were they special effects to make it look as real as possible? No, but thats why 300 is essentially a tall tale made into a movie. It was trying to depict the legend... not the actual event. I think they did a great job with it.

Anyways, if you dont like these movies, you'll hate Grindhouse.

#106399  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:55 am
Flip wrote:
Tessian wrote:
Nono, the best parts of both movies were the titty scenes. Oh wait, Kill Bill didnt have any of those....

Im only kidding, i understand what you are saying Seek, but i'll have to completely disagree. It looks like you hate the over-the-top violence and easy plots. To me, the ridiculousness of Kill Bill vol 1 and 300 is an art form in itself. I thought both were well directed and the special effects for both were top notch. Were they special effects to make it look as real as possible? No, but thats why 300 is essentially a tall tale made into a movie. It was trying to depict the legend... not the actual event. I think they did a great job with it.

Anyways, if you dont like these movies, you'll hate Grindhouse.
Essentially the reason I disliked it can be summed up as because I found the movie to be repetetive without much really happening. I also did not find either movie very artistic, more like simplistic; I didn't find any of these movies to be anywhere approaching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, for an example of a movie which I found used violence and scenary as an art form. The New York Times review of 300 sums up my feelings quite well "As violent as Apocalypto and twice as stupid."

That's just my opinion though, I'm not trying to force or convince anyone to share it.

There are plenty of movies I enjoy which are quite inaccurate: Last Samurai, Braveheart, Gladiator, among others. Though the inaccuracies in those movies made sense since it made for great story-telling, but I didn't think they did in 300. Though as far as how I would describe the movie, it is like another story which tacked on the gimmick of the battle of Thermopylae, inaccurate is kind of an understatement. The legend itself was historically inaccurate due to documentation we have from the Atheneans which state the numbers of Persians in all other battles (and they're always in the tens of thousands). It was written by a Dorian (the nationality of Sparta), Herodotus, who was famous for his exagerations and heavily scrutinized by other Greeks of his time. It became popular because when the legend passed on to the Latins, they loved it. The legend, of course, would be more interesting than a Hoplite Phalanx holding off a tiny pass from an army of tens of thousands for a while before they were solved and defeated.

For example of a major issue with 300 and how it relates to the legend: they even got the purpose of the legend reversed. 300, as best as I could get, was Spartans battling for Greek freedom. The legend was quite the opposite though, it was about how the Spartan way was superior to the Athenean way during the Peloponesian which pitted Sparta against Athens. The defeat of Persians was not even relevant to Herodotus, as it was not the Spartan's who actually won the war against the Persians, but the Atheneans. In short: the Spartans supported Oligarchal dictatorship and tyranny, whereas the Atheneans supported freedom and Democracy. Spartan society was essentially a fascist dictatorship, they disliked freedom. This reverse is the equivilent of the movie of Lord of the Rings being about Frodo on a mission to take the ring from Mount Doom rather than destroy it there.

So I wouldn't say they were trying to depict the legend, rather than just using things from the legend as a marketing scheme, in order to make another generic violence flick filled with poor CG; ever see the Christopher Lambert movie Beowulf? Just like that. I would not be surprised if the reality was that they wrote a completely unrelated story and just decided: "Hey, lets tack on a few Greek names and make it about Sparta. This will sell!"

Grindhouse though, I don't know if I would enjoy it or not, if it is like Kill Bill, I won't. If it is like From Dusk Til Dawn, I would see it as worth watching, but I wouldn't have anything special to say about it.

#106401  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:22 pm

...Though I have been hearing that Grindhouse is quite good.
Grindhouse is a popcorn film. No real substance to it but it also never pretends to have any. It knows what it is, a fun homage to 70's grindhouse flicks, and it's presented as such.

Really, the only complaints I had with the film were that Deathproof started off extremely slowly, you could literally cut out 30-45 minutes and nothing would be missed (it ended very well though), and that Deathproof really wasn't to the quality overall of Planet Terror, which was a fun ride. But neither film is deep or extremely well made or anything. But they never pretend to be either.

#117452  by Tessian
 Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:59 pm
**MEGA BUMP**

I was looking for something to watch during the super bowl and much to my amazement grindhouse is now on Netflix Instant Watching! So I picked Planet Terror since it's the shorter of the two.

Pretty good movie, definitely most of what was discussed prior as to it being a throwback to grindhouse movies and even though I know nothing about those movies I really enjoyed this. I loved the unexpectedness (like the "missing reel" scene that then jumps you to a part where the building's all in flames for no apparent reason, lol) and overall it was an entertaining movie. I'll have to watch Deathproof later.

#117477  by SineSwiper
 Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:17 am
Just watched Planet Terror a month ago. Yeah, it was good, and M.Manson's former girlfriend was pretty hot.

I heard some bad reviews on Death Proof, but let me know what you think.

#117480  by Blotus
 Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:09 am
I loved Planet Terror. One of my favorites for last year.

Death Proof wasn't as good, but it wasn't bad. Like Zeus mentioned before, it could stand to have 30 minutes or more cut from it. The first hour or so of the movie fucking drags... it's total Tarantino self-indulgent masturbation. The two scenes I actually remember, though, (the first crash, and the ending) redeem it.

#117485  by bovine
 Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:05 pm
I think you guys are crazy, deathproof was a way better movie. The dialogue was much snappier and complex, characters were (sometimes) more than one dimensional kill machines, and the car chasey-and-bumpy-into-eachother scenes were amazing

#118184  by Tessian
 Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:40 pm
Ok I just finished watching Deathproof and I have to agree with most of you... It was a 1:45 movie that should have been a 1:00 movie. I love character development like any other intelligent person, but god damn that was disproportionate. I definitely liked Planet Terror more.

Although the lap dance scene-- top notch. If cutting out all the extra shit would have cut that too... I'd say keep the whole mess ;)