The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Top documentaries you've never seen

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #107646  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:44 pm
1. Hacking Democracy - A scary look at how the latest Diebold technology is taking "ballot stuffing" to a whole new level.

2. Who Killed the Electric Car? - In 1996, the first EV1s were introduced. Within 10 years, auto makers revoked their leases and turned perfectly good cars into scrap metal. Why did the electric car have to die?

3. Flock of Dodos - A humorous documentary about the rise and fall of intelligent design: what it was about, and the friction between it and evolution.

I'd like to see This Movie is Not Yet Rated. Are there any other good documentaries that really should be seen?

#107649  by Tessian
 Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:50 pm
I have Hacking Democracy on my computer...but forgot about it after the election. Although I still get a little sad each time I use my local ATM and see the word "DIEBOLD" branded on it..

Never heard of #3, is that new?

And if ANYONE here mentions Loose Change I'll have to notify your state's government to give you a handicapped parking permit.

#107659  by Zeus
 Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:24 pm
Both Who Killed The Electric Car and This Film is Not Yet Rated are excellent and definitely worth the effort. I haven't heard of the other two.

Hmm, other documentaries.....well, Sharkwater is finishing its rounds in the indie theatres. Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room is great. What The Bleep Do We Know is a fun mash of philosophy, psychology, and theoretical science. Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill is a great feel-good documentary and a blast to watch. I really liked an older one called Dogtown and the Z Boys, which is the skateboarding documentary (I ain't no skater) that Lords of Dogtown was based on. I haven't seen Murderball yet but my buds love it. Walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices is pretty solid too. Haven't seen Metal: A Headbanger's Journey yet, but heard lots of good about it.

There are a bunch of older ones like Pumping Iron, Biggie and Tupac, American Pimp, etc., but I'm sure you know of most of them.

Other than more obvious ones like Inconvenient Truth, The Corporation, Fog of War, Born into Brothels, and some of the Moore ones, those are the ones on the top of my list.

And I can't wait to see Sicko.

#107665  by Eric
 Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:48 pm
Thank you for Smoking was highly entertaining.

#107666  by Kupek
 Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:43 am
And also not a documentary.

#107668  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:10 am
Kupek wrote:And also not a documentary.
It should have been :)
Zeus wrote:Hmm, other documentaries.....well, Sharkwater is finishing its rounds in the indie theatres. Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room is great. What The Bleep Do We Know is a fun mash of philosophy, psychology, and theoretical science. Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill is a great feel-good documentary and a blast to watch. I really liked an older one called Dogtown and the Z Boys, which is the skateboarding documentary (I ain't no skater) that Lords of Dogtown was based on. I haven't seen Murderball yet but my buds love it. Walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices is pretty solid too. Haven't seen Metal: A Headbanger's Journey yet, but heard lots of good about it.
What The Bleep Do We Know - Seen that, too. Seemed too theoretical for my tastes, but it was an enjoyable look at some strange ideas. Also good to know that deaf chick is getting work.

What's Sharkwater about?

#107673  by Blotus
 Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:25 am
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey was awesome.

#107675  by Eric
 Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:41 am
Kupek wrote:And also not a documentary.
*Fist to Palm*

Ohhh that's right...

#107846  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:45 pm
I saw This Film Is Not Yet Rated. Excellent movie, and again, like most of these documentaries, really pisses me off. Still have Control Room, Jesus Camp, and Why We Fight ready to watch.

I almost don't want to see them, because it'll just frustrate me again. We have some fucked up groups of people making fucked up decisions.

#107857  by Zeus
 Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:26 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I saw This Film Is Not Yet Rated. Excellent movie, and again, like most of these documentaries, really pisses me off. Still have Control Room, Jesus Camp, and Why We Fight ready to watch.

I almost don't want to see them, because it'll just frustrate me again. We have some fucked up groups of people making fucked up decisions.
Be careful not to bitch and complain too much about those people making those decisions. You could easily be mistaken for a pessimist or worse yet, a conspiracy theorist.

#107879  by bovine
 Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:05 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I almost don't want to see them, because it'll just frustrate me again.
That's what I feel like when I watch Curb Your Enthusiasm.... it's maddening!

#107882  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:10 pm
George Orwell's 1930's documentary Road to Wigan Pier is a favourite of mine.

#107895  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:36 pm
Citizen Kane might as well have been a documentary.