The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Caught a Transformers preview here in L.A.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #108035  by Nev
 Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:21 am
Oh, it is spectacular. Truly awesome. Both my friend and I walked out feeling quite content.

Zeus, don't even see it, every possible detail that can be Bay-ified and mass-market appealed to has been. Product placement is relatively unobtrusively everywhere, and the plot has been gutted and pillaged in order to support the general Bayosity. This is actually all awesome, because it's funny and well done and the Bayosity propels the film with magnificent speed towards the fight scenes, which are well worth propelling the film towards, but if you see it you will be quite unhappy because of raping, pillaging, childhood memories and etc., and then most likely we will have of the whining.

That is only if you are Zeus, otherwise you will be spectacularly thrilled and should go see it the first chance you get. The special effects are mindbogglingly boggling of the mind. Most likely the most sheerly impressive special effects I have ever seen, beating out Star Wars III on pure wow factor.

Plus the script is well-written, the chicks in the movie are hot, it's a generally agreeably superbly done summer boom flick. Two thumbs up.
 #108036  by Chris
 Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:33 am
Nev wrote:Oh, it is spectacular. Truly awesome. Both my friend and I walked out feeling quite content.

Zeus, don't even see it, every possible detail that can be Bay-ified and mass-market appealed to has been. Product placement is relatively unobtrusively everywhere, and the plot has been gutted and pillaged in order to support the general Bayosity. This is actually all awesome, because it's funny and well done and the Bayosity propels the film with magnificent speed towards the fight scenes, which are well worth propelling the film towards, but if you see it you will be quite unhappy because of raping, pillaging, childhood memories and etc., and then most likely we will have of the whining.

That is only if you are Zeus, otherwise you will be spectacularly thrilled and should go see it the first chance you get. The special effects are mindbogglingly boggling of the mind. Most likely the most sheerly impressive special effects I have ever seen, beating out Star Wars III on pure wow factor.

Plus the script is well-written, the chicks in the movie are hot, it's a generally agreeably superbly done summer boom flick. Two thumbs up.
that's what I've said my times. Bay is good at 2 things....car chases and blowing the fuck out of things.

Transformers are good for 2 things....car chases and blowing the fuck out of things.....

thus when combined you get pretty much the perfect directoral match for it/ and anyway it could have been a lot worse...you could have gotten brett rattner

#108044  by Nev
 Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:38 am
Many cars are chased. As well there are lots of events of the blowing-up kind of variety!

They're going to make a mint. I personally thought it was better than Con Air, also they got an ovation from my theater at least when it was all done. I mean, seriously, strongly recommended.

#108049  by Zeus
 Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:38 pm
I saw my first Bumblebee Camero commercial a couple days ago. I shed a tear :'(

#108055  by Zeus
 Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:59 pm
Kupek wrote:Then get ready to curl up in a corner, quietly <a href="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/sea ... 6">sobbing to yourself</a>.
Wow, just when I didn't think it could get any worse. That's fucking brutal

I actually had to excuse myself from my desk, go to the bathroom, and sit on a toilet sob for 5 minutes after reading that.

#108057  by Flip
 Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:48 pm
Zeus wrote:
Kupek wrote:Then get ready to curl up in a corner, quietly <a href="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/sea ... 6">sobbing to yourself</a>.

I actually had to excuse myself from my desk, go to the bathroom, and sit on a toilet sob for 5 minutes after reading that.
Haha, you crack me up sometimes.

#108058  by Tessian
 Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:44 pm
Haha Nev you're the man...I can't wait to see it.

Zeus-- I would laugh and smile for a week if you got committed or, dare say, hang yourself over something like this...haha

#108068  by Zeus
 Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:34 pm
Flip wrote:
Zeus wrote:

Haha, you crack me up sometimes.
Imagine what it was like for me coming back to my desk afterwards and trying to explain my sore, red eyes and sniffles to my workmates :D

#108072  by Chris
 Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:06 pm
I got me tickets for MC Chris and following it he rented out a threatre soanyone who goes to the show also gets to go see transformers....WOOOOOHOOOOO!

#108159  by Chris
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:24 am
Ok I'm just gonna say this. Zeus.....If Michael Bay just raped my childhood then someone please please let him rape voltron.

I'm sorry but this was fucking fantastcally entertaining. cliche over the top dialogue from Megatron right outa the cartoon. Bumblebee......while I do agree that the car was wrong had the most bumblebee moment I could think of.

Scorpinoks attack was quite cool and an interesting fight to watch and Barricade was also quite well done. I don't know. this felt to me like the 80's and I fucking loooooved every second of it. so much so I'll probably end up seeing it again as it was well worth the ticket price. I got exactly what I wanted. A relatively mindless but never boring long and funny flick. SHia was great (I've really liked him for a long time. Whether it was constantine where he easily had the best character or earlier I've liked the kid.....Great movie though. fun from start to finish and I gotta admit. I totally had a massive nerdgasm whemn I heard Optimus say AUTOBOTS ROLL OUT! honestly...I can't wait for the next one.

#108164  by Lox
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:50 am
I'll be seeing it tonight. Can.not.wait.

#108167  by Flip
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:05 am
Man, i almost decided NOT to go see it when i saw that Shia was the main kid. What a loser. I saw Suburbia in the cheap dollar theatres a few weeks ago and i hated him so much. He is an ugly annoying actor who has no business 'getting the hot next door neighbor' and couldnt play the troubled youth character worth a lick. He is a total tool, but i'll go see Transformers anyways.

#108169  by Nev
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:20 am
He's actually probably the best performance in the flick, dude. The Lindsay-Lohan looking chick who isn't actually Lindsay Lohan isn't bad either!

#108170  by Lox
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:48 am
Nev wrote:He's actually probably the best performance in the flick, dude. The Lindsay-Lohan looking chick who isn't actually Lindsay Lohan isn't bad either!
Do you mean Megan Fox?

Personally, I think she's a lot hotter than Lindsay Lohan.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1083271/

#108171  by Nev
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:46 am
Yeah, her. Smoking hot.

#108190  by Chris
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:14 pm
Nev wrote:Yeah, her. Smoking hot.
she can tow my truck anyday

#108194  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:39 pm
Pearl Harbor still sucks.

I might go see it, though.

#108196  by Tessian
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:19 pm
I had so many nergasms I lost count... seriously, I had to hold back tears at some parts...

Good. Fucking. God. Chris said it best-- if that movie was Bay raping my childhood I want to move in with him and buy stock in condoms.

Michael Bay is good at two things: car chases and explosions... what made Transformers amazing? Car chases and explosions. I'm not saying all or any of his other movies are nearly this good...but god DAMN did he give the audience what they wanted.

I'm in awe... I had to pay $9.75 each for 2 tickets to see that movie and for the first time in a long time I believe I got my money's worth...

Zeus-- don't see it, because then I will smile when I go to bed every night knowing my life has been enriched in ways you can only cry about.

THIS is the movie that as kids we dreamed of coming out. If you don't see it then you're missing out.

#108197  by Chris
 Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:44 pm
Tessian wrote:I had so many nergasms I lost count... seriously, I had to hold back tears at some parts...

Good. Fucking. God. Chris said it best-- if that movie was Bay raping my childhood I want to move in with him and buy stock in condoms.

Michael Bay is good at two things: car chases and explosions... what made Transformers amazing? Car chases and explosions. I'm not saying all or any of his other movies are nearly this good...but god DAMN did he give the audience what they wanted.

I'm in awe... I had to pay $9.75 each for 2 tickets to see that movie and for the first time in a long time I believe I got my money's worth...

Zeus-- don't see it, because then I will smile when I go to bed every night knowing my life has been enriched in ways you can only cry about.

THIS is the movie that as kids we dreamed of coming out. If you don't see it then you're missing out.
yeah...it was jean creaming with the nerdgasms. The last couple weeks have been ungodly good for a nerd like me. First came the Transformers movie prequel comic which was quite awesome. then Marvel puts out the next volume of their space Opera series with Annihilation : Conquest, the next week comes World War Hulk where Hulk is smart, mad, and ready to kill the earth.....with full support from Bruce Banner.....and a week after that A yellow Lantern Cors shows up and starts a war.........my god it's a good time for big action story fans like me....

#108203  by Lox
 Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:26 am
I saw it last night.

Chris, Tessian, Nev, you guys are right on the money.

TRANSFORMERS WAS AWESOME.

That movie had everything. I was dying from laughter at some parts, in awe of the action at others. There were even parts where I was scared for the Transformers. haha

It was well worth the money. I might see it again.

#108214  by Anarky
 Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:02 am
Saw the movie twice already :thumbup:

Way to promote the new Cammaro ;D Product placement for the win!

#108215  by bovine
 Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:14 am
it was alright. Fairly well done, but there was certainly loads of room for improvement. It cut very fast and loose with the source material, and for the most part it was not for the good. My lack of love for this movie may stem from my favourite transformer being Devastator and he just straight up wasn't Devastator. He was "interchangeable transformer X" given the name Devastator, not the culmination of five constructicons to create the strongest and greatest of the decepticons.

#108216  by Tessian
 Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:56 am
product placement was a *little* blatant... Chevy, Mountain Dew, Xbox, eBay, Old Glory robot insurance... but I don't think it detracted much from the movie. Just slightly annoying.

#108230  by Ishamael
 Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:42 pm
I was pleasantly surprised. Robot designs were a tad busier than I'd have liked and I wish there was more robots fighting, but those are nitpick. I enjoyed it.

And Megan Fox blows Lohan out of the water with both hands tied behind her back. I'm not going to argue about this. :)

#108232  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:06 am
I have heard only great things about this movie so far. I'm seeing it on Saturday =)

#108235  by Nev
 Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:45 am
bovine wrote:it was alright. Fairly well done, but there was certainly loads of room for improvement. It cut very fast and loose with the source material, and for the most part it was not for the good. My lack of love for this movie may stem from my favourite transformer being Devastator and he just straight up wasn't Devastator. He was "interchangeable transformer X" given the name Devastator, not the culmination of five constructicons to create the strongest and greatest of the decepticons.
Thinking about it more, the one thing that would have really made the movie super-great would have been incorporating more Deception dialogue - between themselves mostly. Watching them be sinister and underhanded was one of the more entertaining things in the original cartoon, and this movie tended to use them mostly as, er, things to get blown up.

Not that that made it bad. Just saying is all.

#108245  by Flip
 Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:39 pm
I thought it was cool, but a little slow. A two hour movie is long, especially when there are useless scenes like making a guy take his clothes off or extended meaningless dialogue.

The effects were neat, but took the approach that a lot of movies with big budget effects do. Which is, do things really fast and move the camera all over the place so the audience cant tell what the hell is going on. A lot of the fights were a tangle of metal ending with somone suddenly winning.

The autobots got introduced well, but the decepticons were just there to be there... besides Megatron being the obvious leader, no other order was shown, isnt Starscream supposed to be second in command? I could see the a lot of the 'who is good and who is bad' going right over the heads of the audience, especially during fights when you couldnt even tell what was happeneing.

Oh well, entertaining, but not as dark as the trailers lead you to believe and there was too much packed into a 2 hour movie that wasted time with long useless scenes.

LaBoof is annoying and an idiot.

#108269  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:50 pm
Have to admit that it was very entertaining. I thought it was paced enough to give it some story without being completely mindless explosions, but there was plenty of action to go around. Comparable to Terminator 2 in that aspect.

The suspension of disbelief was excessively high. I cringed whenever there was a scene involving computers or government coverups. (There are 3 story robots fighting in the fucking street! You can't cover that up!) This is always Bay's weak point, and usually why I hate his movies.

I think there are too many LaBeouf haters out there. The guy tends to play the shy weirdo type a lot, but he plays it well. I liked him in Constantine as well. (Then again, a lot of you didn't like that movie either. Weirdos!)

Oh, and Pearl Harbor still sucks.

#108358  by Blotus
 Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:08 pm
One word review: "ZOMG!"

#108361  by Tessian
 Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:39 pm
SineSwiper wrote: The suspension of disbelief was excessively high. I cringed whenever there was a scene involving computers or government coverups. (There are 3 story robots fighting in the fucking street! You can't cover that up!) This is always Bay's weak point, and usually why I hate his movies.
What I didn't get about that... didn't the Sec of Defense go on the air to announce the invasion after the base in the middle east was taken out? I coulda sworn he made a public announcement sometime...and yeah, they fucking took out an entire city and half a major dam and it all got covered up? Bullshit.

#108363  by Chris
 Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:59 pm
Tessian wrote:
SineSwiper wrote: The suspension of disbelief was excessively high. I cringed whenever there was a scene involving computers or government coverups. (There are 3 story robots fighting in the fucking street! You can't cover that up!) This is always Bay's weak point, and usually why I hate his movies.
What I didn't get about that... didn't the Sec of Defense go on the air to announce the invasion after the base in the middle east was taken out? I coulda sworn he made a public announcement sometime...and yeah, they fucking took out an entire city and half a major dam and it all got covered up? Bullshit.
that was actually only in an add for it. it's not in the actual flick

#108364  by Chris
 Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:59 pm
instead of double posing I'll edit this to make a way ut of left field prediction of what JJ's movie is.....Rampage.....yes Rampage....the game.....Someone tell me I'm wrong with prof because I think I might actually be right on this one....
Last edited by Chris on Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#108425  by bovine
 Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:15 am
saw die hard, thought die hard was better than transformers. The end.

#108433  by Zeus
 Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:24 pm
bovine wrote:saw die hard, thought die hard was better than transformers. The end.
There's a decent cam available for Die Hard if you guys are interested. Colours are washed out a bit, but it's good quality overall

#108437  by Blotus
 Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:50 pm
Zeus do you ever pay for your clothing or do you just wait until somebody drops a bag off at the Salvation Army and snatch it up?

With all your penny-pinching you must be loaded. Spot me a few grand, I'd like to buy some wheels. Please!

#108447  by Kupek
 Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:58 am
Transformers is made of awesome. Seriously.

#108451  by Tessian
 Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:57 am
Kupek wrote:Transformers is made of awesome. Seriously.
Thanks for gracing us with your presence Kupek; nice to see you back :P

#108575  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:26 pm
Transformers > Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris wants to know why.

#108577  by Zeus
 Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:54 am
Lotus, I pay for movies that deserve it whether I can download it or not. I'm trying to retire when I'm 55 so I save wherever I can. Games and DVDs is where I splurg.

Barret, you see, Chuck Norris once had sex in a tractor trailer. Some of his sperm got out and got into the engine block. We now know this truck as Optimus Prime

#108579  by Nev
 Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:41 pm
Zeus wrote:Barret, you see, Chuck Norris once had sex in a tractor trailer. Some of his sperm got out and got into the engine block. We now know this truck as Optimus Prime
omg, hahahahaha

that's great

#108580  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:53 pm
bovine wrote:saw die hard, thought die hard was better than transformers. The end.

#108582  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:36 pm
Heh, I like how they had incredibly cheesy dialogue in the flavour of the series.

#108585  by Zeus
 Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:48 pm
The Seeker wrote:Heh, I like how they had incredibly cheesy dialogue in the flavour of the series.
Yeah, that's how they tried to make it Die Hard. But didn't it feel like an action film with McLane in it rather than a real Die Hard film? That's how I felt watching it, it just wasn't really a Die Hard film, more like a McLane offshoot.

#108587  by Eric
 Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:12 pm
Zeus wrote:
The Seeker wrote:Heh, I like how they had incredibly cheesy dialogue in the flavour of the series.
Yeah, that's how they tried to make it Die Hard. But didn't it feel like an action film with McLane in it rather than a real Die Hard film? That's how I felt watching it, it just wasn't really a Die Hard film, more like a McLane offshoot.
That's exactly how it felt.

Here's John McClane, bad ass, and here's the rest of the movie, which was just weird. I mean you really can't beat the 2 Gruber brothers, Simon and Hans were awesome. Thomas Gabriel was the type of villian I'd think I'd find in Under Siege 3 with Steven Segal, heh.

#108593  by Zeus
 Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:16 pm
Eric, you just agreed with me. You do realize you can never talk about movies again, right?

#108594  by Chris
 Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:15 pm
Zeus wrote:
I think the best review I read of it was. If John Mcclane from the first 3 movies was in this he would have been dead before the third act.

#108596  by Eric
 Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:30 am
Zeus wrote:Eric, you just agreed with me. You do realize you can never talk about movies again, right?
I've never really had a problem with your taste in movies. Just your non-hatred of the horror that is Resident Evil. :P

Pun intended btw.

#108598  by Zeus
 Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:29 am
Chris Hansbrough wrote:
Zeus wrote:
I think the best review I read of it was. If John Mcclane from the first 3 movies was in this he would have been dead before the third act.
Yeah, that's probably the best way to describe it. That's why it didn't feel like a Die Hard film. In the third one he did more crazy things but they were believable, even the fall off the crane to a very, very small degree.

In this one, they're just too over the top for the "everyday" hero that McLane has been since the late 80s. That's what made him so popular to begin with. They're more Schwartzenegger stunts than McLane stunts

#108599  by Zeus
 Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:29 am
Eric wrote:
Zeus wrote:Eric, you just agreed with me. You do realize you can never talk about movies again, right?
I've never really had a problem with your taste in movies. Just your non-hatred of the horror that is Resident Evil. :P

Pun intended btw.
I'm there opening weekend for Extinction. Wanna join me? :D