The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Good deals on Animated DVDs (Anime, Superheroes, Adult Swim)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#108855  by Zeus
 Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:16 pm
Fuckers didn't lower the prices in Canada. We hates stupid, filthly Amazonses

#108878  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:51 pm
Reminded me to get the Hellsing OVAs on BT. Has anybody seen this yet? I actually would like to pick up a dubbed version if possible.

#108887  by Zeus
 Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:51 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Reminded me to get the Hellsing OVAs on BT. Has anybody seen this yet? I actually would like to pick up a dubbed version if possible.
Dubbed..........why?

#108898  by Shellie
 Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:37 am
Hellsing actually had very good voice acting. It would be one of the select few where I would prefer the dub.

"I highly recommend pissing yourself followed by a course of praying to your impotent god!"

Best line ever.

Doesn't have quite the same effect when reading it vs. hearing it spoken.

#108903  by SineSwiper
 Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:31 am
Yeah, do yourself a favor and watch episode 5 of Hellsing dubbed.

#108907  by Zeus
 Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:14 pm
If I were to watch Hellsing, I'd start at the beginning. I dislike starting halfway through an anime.

The only dub I've ever loved was the original Akira one. That one ruled and definitely made you not want to read. The newer one sucks ass though.

#108919  by SineSwiper
 Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:17 pm
Zeus wrote:If I were to watch Hellsing, I'd start at the beginning. I dislike starting halfway through an anime.

The only dub I've ever loved was the original Akira one. That one ruled and definitely made you not want to read. The newer one sucks ass though.
Oh, I thought you already saw Hellsing. Well then, go get the dub of Hellsing then. No, seriously...watch the fucking thing right NOW!

And there are plenty of good dubs out there. English voice acting has greatly improved over the last 10-15 years, especially since translation groups are actually spending more than $2 on the voice acting. All of ZRO Limit/Animaze's dubs are really good (Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal, etc.). The new Ghost in the Shell series has really good dubbing. Black Blood Brothers & Elfen Lied, too.

In fact, the only dubbing that I've been disappointed with in recent memory is Naruto.

#108925  by Tessian
 Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:47 pm
SineSwiper wrote: In fact, the only dubbing that I've been disappointed with in recent memory is Naruto.
All you have to do is look at who's got the US license... and where it's being aired. 'nuff said.

For the most part dubbing anymore in the past 3 years at least has gotten pretty damn good. I still watch Bleach subbed (because I'm about 100 episodes ahead of Adult Swim) but I still enjoy watching the older episodes dubbed.

#108931  by Shellie
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:50 am
It pisses me off so bad that Naruto has such horrible dubbing. I have a Naruto tattoo..and Im almost scared to tell people what it's from in case they've seen the dubbed version on tv.

#108936  by Eric
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:44 am
Seraphina wrote:It pisses me off so bad that Naruto has such horrible dubbing. I have a Naruto tattoo..and Im almost scared to tell people what it's from in case they've seen the dubbed version on tv.
BELIEVE IT!

#108939  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:06 am
I have seen the first 2 eps, I think 3 are out so far, mabye 4. I watched em subbed (as no dub was available yet when I got em) and it looks like the OVA is gonna stay true to the manga, whereas the original anime split off and did its own thing in the end.

#108972  by SineSwiper
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:43 pm
I know. I downloaded them, but I really want to listen to the good dubbing. Maybe I should rent them somewhere, but I cancelled my Netflix account because I never used it.

#108973  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:47 pm
Thing to remember, it might not be the same VA's doing the Ultimate OVA's. I have seen multiple times before where diffrent VA's have been used for the same characters, obvious example is when they switched production companys for Dragonball Z.

#108976  by SineSwiper
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:53 pm
M'k'n'zy wrote:Thing to remember, it might not be the same VA's doing the Ultimate OVA's. I have seen multiple times before where diffrent VA's have been used for the same characters, obvious example is when they switched production companys for Dragonball Z.
Nah, I checked. It's mostly the same crew.

So, Zeus, have you watched Hellsing yet? Why the fuck not? Go download them NOW!

#108977  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:58 pm
As far as the anime goes, I have to admit, I was a big fan of the first...I think 5 or 6 episodes. I was already a fan of the manga, so when the anime went off to do its own thing I got very disapointed.

#109100  by SineSwiper
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:57 pm
Actually, forget the series. I'm watching the OVA, and it's basically just a better, more accurate version of the series. So, Zeus, go get the dual-audio OVAs and watch those.

#109101  by RentCavalier
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:59 pm
Hellsing's manga is great--the anime was too, but the plot went NOWHERE after, like, episode 10. They never even detail the whole Freak chip thing. Instead, it's basically ten episodes of Alucard getting a hardon over fighting Incognito, who wants to...what? Summon an Egyptian god or somethinG?

The Nazi plot of the manga was much better.

#109104  by SineSwiper
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 pm
RentCavalier wrote:Hellsing's manga is great--the anime was too, but the plot went NOWHERE after, like, episode 10. They never even detail the whole Freak chip thing. Instead, it's basically ten episodes of Alucard getting a hardon over fighting Incognito, who wants to...what? Summon an Egyptian god or somethinG?

The Nazi plot of the manga was much better.
That's basically where the OVAs are going. I've only seen up to the 2nd OVA, but they already past the Valentine brothers section of the plot. (And yes, John Valentine still has his awesome lines! Worth finding the dubs for.) Again, it's like a retelling of the series, except more true to the manga.

#109106  by RentCavalier
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:19 pm
So, it has been translated? Excellent! It's the only series besides Cowboy Bebop where I prefer the English voices.

#109109  by SineSwiper
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:28 pm
RentCavalier wrote:It's the only series besides Cowboy Bebop where I prefer the English voices.
Yeah, I'd recommend that and all of the dubs I listed above on this thread.