The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Bleach and Yakitate Japan

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #108947  by Zeus
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:23 pm
Bleach:

So I finally got around to watching this series. I saw the first 6 a while back but stopped. A month ago I started again.

Am I the only one noticing the ridiculous similarities between Ichigo and Naruto? You have a hyper-active, super-powered, spikey oranged-haired kid who's intensely loyal to his friends, does not know how to use his powers properly yet even though he's got incredible skill and because of that, not only does he surprise his opponents with his strength and his inventiveness (he's winning more often 'cause his opponents underestimate him than anything else), but he's also very heavily reliant on his teammates when the situation gets hairy. He's also very pig-headed and doesn't know when he's in over his head.

Other than that, I'm finding it decent so far, but not spectacular. For those who have seen the series (if not, skip past this paragraph) I'm at the part where Ichigo has defeated his first opponent in Soul Society and is on his way to Rukia's tower. I've been told repeatedly that it gets real good once they get into Soul Society. I'm only three eps into that part so far, so we'll see if it picks up from here.

Review so far: Good enough to keep going but not spectacular enough to be crack-cocaine and force me to watch 7 episodes a night after I get home from work

Yakitate Japan:

If you don't know what this is, it's a parody anime about a kid with Solar Hands (warmer than normal) who's out to create Japan's national bread (bread in Japanese is "pan" so it's a pun) since they don't have an official one. Sounds ridiculous but much like Hikaru No Go (if you don't know what that is, it's an excellent anime about a kid playing Go, which is a grown-up and much harder version of Othello; it's made by the Death Note guy), it's WAAY better than it sounds. I'm really enjoying this one (23 eps in) and it's really funny and pokes fun at a lot of the anime stereotypes. It's also got a ridiculous amount of cultural and bread-making references throughout each episodes so it's actually got more depth than you might think, too. I highly recommend it. It's 69 eps total.
 #108952  by Shellie
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:52 pm
Zeus wrote:
Review so far: Good enough to keep going but not spectacular enough to be crack-cocaine and force me to watch 7 episodes a night after I get home from work
Give it time.... It' one that does take a few episodes to really get good. Bleach is my second favorite next to Naruto.
 #108954  by Chris
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:26 pm
Seraphina wrote:
Zeus wrote:
Give it time.... It' one that does take a few episodes to really get good. Bleach is my second favorite next to Naruto.
I love bleach. it even is the first time I've seen filler that doesn't make me want to stab myself in the face with a rusty screwdriver.......a couple stupid episodes here and there but realy it's quite god for being of the shonen jump persuasion (They all have the same damn plotlines) although it has made me discover one thing I really don't like about anime based on manga. the fact that story arcs take 50 fucking episodes to finish drives me crazy.
 #108960  by Eric
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:54 pm
Chris Hansbrough wrote:
Seraphina wrote:
Zeus wrote:
I love bleach. it even is the first time I've seen filler that doesn't make me want to stab myself in the face with a rusty screwdriver.......a couple stupid episodes here and there but realy it's quite god for being of the shonen jump persuasion (They all have the same damn plotlines) although it has made me discover one thing I really don't like about anime based on manga. the fact that story arcs take 50 fucking episodes to finish drives me crazy.
Eh? Bleach's story arcs are extremely fast, I think the anime was up to 52 which was like chapter 112 in the manga or something.

#108961  by Tessian
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Bleach is an amazing anime that hasn't dropped off yet... I'm on episode... 140 I think? So it continues getting good. The climax of the storyline you're on is what REALLY pulled me in... good god.

The main characters are quite similar, I noticed that too... but their attitudes are totally different. Naruto is an obnoxious squirt who boasts to everyone he's going to be the hokagi some day... Ichigo is simply a guy who gets thrown from one situation to the next and his only desire is to become stronger so he can protect everyone. He's not self absorbed or overly cocky. Although in later episodes you'll come across another big similarity that I didn't fully realize until you mentioned it again.

So yeah, they share similarities... but the settings are worlds different and the characters have different enough attitudes that I don't consider them that similar. Still love it though and my only fear is watching too many episodes and having to wait for more :P

#108970  by Don
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:42 pm
The only similarity between Naruto and Ichigo would be both are main character in something that involves a ton of fighting.

#108974  by SineSwiper
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:49 pm
Yeah, I don't really get the similarities with Naruto. To me, it's actually more like DBZ, because it seems like the solution to everything is "get more powerful in 2 days". Naruto is more "realistic", in terms of characters being balanced with their own power levels.

Not to say that Bleach isn't badass. Seeing Ichigo in his final forms is just totally awesome. You would watch at least to episode 25 or so. There are some really good hooks at that point.

#108978  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:01 pm
I have actually been a fan of Bleach from the beginning and other than what I call the "dark days" during the filler arc, it has been a great show.

#108982  by Chris
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:17 pm
M'k'n'zy wrote:I have actually been a fan of Bleach from the beginning and other than what I call the "dark days" during the filler arc, it has been a great show.
yeah but unlike Naruto I found the bleach filler to e tolerable. the naruto filler was mind numbingly retarded and you could tell just how fillery it was.....but the bleach filler I cul at least sit through and not bang my head into the sharp edges of a table

#108983  by Zeus
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:20 pm
Someone talk about the other anime which I'm finding better in the beginning....

#108989  by M'k'n'zy
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:32 pm
Chris Hansbrough wrote:
M'k'n'zy wrote:I have actually been a fan of Bleach from the beginning and other than what I call the "dark days" during the filler arc, it has been a great show.
yeah but unlike Naruto I found the bleach filler to e tolerable. the naruto filler was mind numbingly retarded and you could tell just how fillery it was.....but the bleach filler I cul at least sit through and not bang my head into the sharp edges of a table
Mabye its just because I was current with the manga, but I did feel like banging my head against the table with the Bleach filler. I didn't like Kariya and the Bounto at all. And I really hate Ririn and Claude, the only one I can tolerate is Nova.

Oh yeah and as far as Y Japan goes, I have heard good things about it but haven't gotten around to checking it out yet. Your recomendation (plus my actually having hard drive space for a change) will probally push me over the edge into trying it out, but first I have to watch The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumia

#108998  by Ishamael
 Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:14 am
I enjoy Bleach; hated Naruto (admittedly, I've only seen a few eps, but I just can't quite get into it).

Anyway, the theme you spelled out could describe any one of dozens of anime. Not a whole lot of differences there. The key is in the execution. Some do it well, while others...

#109008  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:11 am
Ishamael wrote:I enjoy Bleach; hated Naruto (admittedly, I've only seen a few eps, but I just can't quite get into it).
To give Naruto an honest shot, watch the first 15 eps. And start from the begininng, you really can't judge an anime until you've seen it from the start. Any real series anime, one that's not finite, takes no less than 10 episodes to really get going (Death Note has you after the first ep but that's only 37 eps long). If you're not hooked after the second major battle (I think it starts right around ep 10) you won't like the series. It's one of the best of all of them and really moves the show from being a slow-moving, no-action, childish anime into the fast-paced, action-filled, teen-oriented show it is. Until the filler at ep 136 that is.......

I'm actually gonna be doing this to Dragonball Z shortly as I've only seen a few eps in the middle and didn't care. But those fights didn't really mean anything to me 'cause I didn't see the 60 episodes of buildup. It would be the same thing if you tried to watch eps 130-135 of Naruto. Awesome battle but would mean jack to you if you didn't see the 129 eps of buildup before it.

#109013  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:03 am
Actually the filler started about 140, not 136, if I remember right.

#109015  by Chris
 Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:16 am
M'k'n'zy wrote:
Chris Hansbrough wrote:
Mabye its just because I was current with the manga, but I did feel like banging my head against the table with the Bleach filler. I didn't like Kariya and the Bounto at all. And I really hate Ririn and Claude, the only one I can tolerate is Nova.

Oh yeah and as far as Y Japan goes, I have heard good things about it but haven't gotten around to checking it out yet. Your recomendation (plus my actually having hard drive space for a change) will probally push me over the edge into trying it out, but first I have to watch The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumia
oh don't get me wrong. it was still....filler. but if you comare it to the filler you get in other anime......it's far more tolerable......I mean really.....I stopped watching naruto altogether because of the horrid horrid mind numbingly retarded rfiller

#109017  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:26 pm
Chris Hansbrough wrote:
M'k'n'zy wrote:
Chris Hansbrough wrote:yeah but unlike Naruto I found the bleach filler to e tolerable. the naruto filler was mind numbingly retarded and you could tell just how fillery it was.....but the bleach filler I cul at least sit through and not bang my head into the sharp edges of a table

oh don't get me wrong. it was still....filler. but if you comare it to the filler you get in other anime......it's far more tolerable......I mean really.....I stopped watching naruto altogether because of the horrid horrid mind numbingly retarded rfiller
I will admit I forced myself to watch all of the Naruto filler just hoping against hope some of it would be ok. And some of it was. I kinda liked the whole bit with the star village.

I do wish they had just let the filler characters from the Bleach anime just dissapear though, they are working too hard to keep them involved, they need to just go away.

#109018  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:42 pm
M'k'n'zy wrote:Actually the filler started about 140, not 136, if I remember right.
136, I'm 99% certain of it. I remember distinctly 'cause of the SEVERE drop off in quality. I"m pretty certain that's when the fight ends.

#109036  by Don
 Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:16 pm
Although the power up training stuff gets old, not having it doesn't automatically make something good. Naruto, as a character, is more like a Kenshin than a Goku. Even from a very early point he is one of the most powerful character in the series. It took him roughly 40 volumes before he figured out that he can just hide behind a rock and have his clones throw out A/S/S+ class nijitsus all day instead of just having them blow up as cannon fodder, but that only means Naruto is stupid, not that he isn't powerful. So yeah when you already started out really powerful, you don't need to be training more.

The training in X day stuff in Bleach is a bit excessive, but I don't feel it takes away anything significant from the series. I find Bleach to be dragging on in the Esparda arc since it's looking like it'd take 2 volumes to finish 1 of the Esparda which projects the whole arc to 20 volumes...

#109040  by M'k'n'zy
 Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:43 am
No, because I am pretty sure I remember 140 being a lot of the recovery scenes. I will load my DVD to make sure.

#109069  by Zeus
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:09 am
Don Wang wrote:Although the power up training stuff gets old, not having it doesn't automatically make something good. Naruto, as a character, is more like a Kenshin than a Goku. Even from a very early point he is one of the most powerful character in the series. It took him roughly 40 volumes before he figured out that he can just hide behind a rock and have his clones throw out A/S/S+ class nijitsus all day instead of just having them blow up as cannon fodder, but that only means Naruto is stupid, not that he isn't powerful. So yeah when you already started out really powerful, you don't need to be training more.
I don't know how you can actually watch/read Naruto and think he's really that powerful. He has the ability to be ridiculously powerful but in battle after battle, he's outmatched and is reliant on others to save his bacon.

Most of the time he's underestimated and can shock someone but he's never really been more powerful. On his own he's only really beat Haku, Kiba, Neji, who was just arrogant, and tied Gaara, but he had the frog king save his ass. He almost gets killed by Kabuto and anyone of that level or higher he's faced (Orichimaru, Kabuto, and now Diedera) would could have killed him, including Sasuke, without some sort of interference.

If there's anything consistent in Naruto is that you need to train, even someone like Naruto who has as much natural ability and stamina as anyone. He's actually not that powerful (up to where the anime has progressed; and that was after 3 years of straight training) right now and his lack of intelligence has hurt him quite a bit, even if he's been inventive enough with his limited skills to stay alive.

#109076  by SineSwiper
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:59 am
Zeus wrote:To give Naruto an honest shot, watch the first 15 eps. And start from the begininng, you really can't judge an anime until you've seen it from the start.
Do that for Bleach, too.

#109084  by Zeus
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:44 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:To give Naruto an honest shot, watch the first 15 eps. And start from the begininng, you really can't judge an anime until you've seen it from the start.
Do that for Bleach, too.
I'm up to 27 already. Ichigo just finished the fight with Ikkaku