The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Saw IV

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #112415  by RentCavalier
 Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:09 am
Fuck. Yes.

Seen it, anyone? It's awesome and rad and tubular and DEADLY. A bit unneccessary, but waaaay too cool to hate. Lurved it.

#112417  by Zeus
 Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:02 am
Series rules, I'll definitely watch it...sometime

#112418  by Blotus
 Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:28 am
I didn't even know there was a fourth one. Is it in theatres now or was it direct-to-DVD?

#112419  by Zeus
 Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:04 pm
Black Lotus wrote:I didn't even know there was a fourth one. Is it in theatres now or was it direct-to-DVD?
Theatres. Series makes waay to much money for it to go straight to DVD right now. If I'm not mistaken, Saw 3 made over $100M

#112421  by Chris
 Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:31 pm
it lost me after 2. it seems tome to have gone the way of Nightmare on elm street in that you really aren't watching for a scary villain you are just watching to see what new ad inventive way they come up for em to kill people. I admit the whole deathtrap thing can be really interesting but after 2 it really just doesn't have me interested at this point

#112422  by RentCavalier
 Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:36 pm
I feel that 2 sucked--my room mate disagrees and says 3 sucked. We both liked 4, so it's all good.

Four is potentially the best of the series, so I'd look into it.

#112423  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:46 pm
Hurray for Canada!

Though I am seeing Across the Universe tonight.

#112448  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:45 pm
After Saw 3, I'm beginning to think that the directors of Saw and M. Night have a lot in common. It's like the whole point of the movie is to add a "It's a twist!" type ending, and then call it clever. It's not clever if there's no way for the viewer to figure it out.

Hopefully, this one will be better.

#112458  by RentCavalier
 Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:49 pm
It sort of suffers from that, but since the "twist" was the entire point of the film, it's ok for it.

#112477  by Zeus
 Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:59 pm
SineSwiper wrote:After Saw 3, I'm beginning to think that the directors of Saw and M. Night have a lot in common. It's like the whole point of the movie is to add a "It's a twist!" type ending, and then call it clever. It's not clever if there's no way for the viewer to figure it out.

Hopefully, this one will be better.
Except that none of the Saw films sucked nearly as hard as anything M. Night made that isn't called Sixth Sense

#112489  by Tessian
 Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:07 pm
Zeus wrote: Except that none of the Saw films sucked nearly as hard as anything M. Night made that isn't called Sixth Sense
This.

I'm no fan of horror... I don't want my movies OR my games trying to scare me throughout the experience. That being said I let a friend talk me into watching the Saw movies (I-II, III was about to come out at the time) and I loved them. It was scary but the suspense and the plot surpassed it by far. I enjoyed all 3 so far, dunno when or if I'll get to IV, but I'm interested enough to take a look at it because I loved the premise / plot-- people are put into traps they probably won't survive... but the focus is on WHO those people are and WHY they're in there and that's what made the movies so interesting.

Joe here explains it better than I can (in the review below the strip)-- http://www.digitalpimponline.com/strips ... vie&id=291

#112713  by Flip
 Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:04 pm
It was good, i liked what they did with the story line, but felt a little let down that it wasnt a true sequel.

Also, all the friggin characters in this one looked the same, or i couldnt remember who they were since they were beat up and had facial hair, etc. I'm usually good at following that sort of stuff, too... they could have casted better.

They recall so much from the previous movies that i'm afraid Saw 5 will be a convoluted mess of people and impossible to follow. I'm also getting a little tired of the fast flashbacks to remind people. That editing technique started to give me a headache.

#112715  by Blotus
 Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:24 pm
Zeus wrote:Except that none of the Saw films sucked nearly as hard as anything M. Night made that isn't called Sixth Sense ...or Unbreakable.
Fixed.

#112772  by RentCavalier
 Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 pm
Well, seeing as how most of the original cast's stories have been...*ahem*...resolved...

I think we can be assured that Saw V will have a LOT of new characters.

#112778  by Zeus
 Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:56 am
RentCavalier wrote:Well, seeing as how most of the original cast's stories have been...*ahem*...resolved...

I'm shocked they were able to pull off a 4th film with Jigsaw. You figured after 2 they were done with him

#112809  by Blotus
 Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:40 pm
RentCavalier wrote:Well, seeing as how most of the original cast's stories have been...*ahem*...resolved...

You're implying characters in Saw IV are going to die? SPOILARS!