The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Eragon - Is Ultra Generic Fantasy a genre?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #112679  by Ishamael
 Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:45 am
Caught this bad boy on HBO...I must say I'm left speechless. This was seriously like one of those crappy Scifi flicks they show on Saturday afternoon involving bad CGI unicorns invading peaceful kingdoms. Anyone else have the pleasure of seeing this monstrosity?

#112683  by Zeus
 Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:05 am
Check out who wrote the story....

#112689  by Ishamael
 Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:41 am
Zeus wrote:Check out who wrote the story....
Ah, it's an adaptation of a book written by a 15 year old kid. So that's provides some better context. It's probably the kind of thing I'd write if I were 15 too. But now I wonder if the book is as bad as the screenplay.

#112694  by SineSwiper
 Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 am
I love X-Play's review of the game. They made fun of the Star Wars references a lot.

And no, I haven't read it, but I heard that the book is as bad.

#112703  by Kupek
 Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:56 am
I got the feeling the book was a talking dog kind of thing. The movie looked wonderfully generic, and a continuation of Jeremy Irons' tradition of choosing terrible roles.

#112709  by Blotus
 Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:25 am
Kupek wrote:I got the feeling the book was a talking dog kind of thing. The movie looked wonderfully generic, and a continuation of Jeremy Irons' tradition of choosing terrible roles.
Dungeons and Dragons... is the guy hard up for cash or what?

#112863  by SineSwiper
 Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:56 am
Hey, Jeremy Irons was fantastic in C&C3! :)

#112944  by RentCavalier
 Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:44 pm
Mmm, the book is not bad, no.

It IS generic, but it is saved by a SURPRISINGLY adept mastery of characterizations that the young author had/has. The book has a lot of subplots and constantly intertwining character threads that, while not very original, add a lot of depth to an otherwise dull world.

So, the book is an actually fun read. A bit "meh" at times, but there's a lot of good there as well. I'd reccomend checking it out.