The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• American Gangster

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #113217  by RentCavalier
 Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:27 am
Ridley Scott has directed yet another masterpiece, and Denzel Washington reminds us all why the hell we love him so much.

The movie lacks the sense of "splendor" that most Scott Films have (Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven being prime examples.), but has a sense of pure authenticity that lend a real power to the actions being portrayed within.

It's everything you'd want and expect in a Ridley Scott film, and it's a great next step for Russell Crowe (even though, for once, he's NOT the one who is beating the shit out of people on screen.)

If you haven't seen it, go see it. Hell, it's available for free on the Internet if you are a cheap bastard, but seeing it on the big screen is truly a magnificent experience.

#113225  by Tessian
 Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:58 am
I saw it opening weekend-- it was very good. I would have preferred to skip over all the close ups of people injecting heroin though....

Some people complained because it was advertised as a "Omg Denzel and Russell in a movie together!" and then they are only on screen at the same time for the very end of the movie... I didn't view it like that and I thought both actors did a great job holding up their end of the story.

#113247  by Zeus
 Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:49 pm
For those who don't want to pay for it but are still interested, there's been a screener available since a week before it went to theatres. Very nice quality too

#113252  by Chris
 Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:12 pm
Zeus wrote:For those who don't want to pay for it but are still interested, there's been a screener available since a week before it went to theatres. Very nice quality too
yes for those of you that want to rot in the fiery pits of Ranx. please piss of the great lord Mogo and be a cheap bastard

#113275  by RentCavalier
 Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:33 pm
The close-up shots of Heroin I think were important, sort of to show that Frank's heroin-dealing ways were NOT helping the black community at all. He was destroying lives, pure and simple.
 #113297  by SineSwiper
 Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:01 pm
RentCavalier wrote:It's everything you'd want and expect in a Ridley Scott film, and it's a great next step for Russell Crowe (even though, for once, he's NOT the one who is beating the shit out of people on screen.)
Example movie where Denzel Washington was beating the shit out of people: Man on Fire
Example movie where Russell Crowe WASN'T beating the shit out of people: A Beautiful Mind

I think both actors have had enough experience to perform their respective roles.

#113309  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:47 pm
I was really expecting more from this film. It seemed too...predictable. But I have to say Denzel is still a bad ass motherfucker.

#113313  by Blotus
 Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:10 am
Example movie where Russell Crowe was beating the shit out of people: LA Confidential.

Also, best damn movie ever. Well, one of them.

#113339  by SineSwiper
 Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:32 pm
Black Lotus wrote:Example movie where Russell Crowe was beating the shit out of people: LA Confidential.

Fucking amen! All the actors were brilliant in that movie, and it was fastest-paced and most well-written detective flick that I'd ever seen.

#113348  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:14 am
Black Lotus wrote:Example movie where Russell Crowe was beating the shit out of people: LA Confidential.

I really enjoy that one as well. Though all three of the main cast have better movies in my opinion (Memento, Ravenous, Gladiator, American Beauty, Life of David Gale); of course, all three of the main cast have had phenominal carreers. This one is still somewhere in my top 50 (maybe even top 20). Though when LA Confidential first came out I remember considering it only topped by Braveheart and perhaps one or two others.