The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Dexter

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#115319  by Shellie
 Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:05 pm
I'm catching up on the 2nd season, but Sine won't let me watch it when he's around since he hasn't seen all the eps. This season is getting REALLY good.

#115323  by Zeus
 Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:05 pm
Seraphina wrote:I'm catching up on the 2nd season, but Sine won't let me watch it when he's around since he hasn't seen all the eps. This season is getting REALLY good.
Watch it while he's sleeping, it ends really, really well

#115375  by Shellie
 Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:32 pm
I caught up to half of the second to last episode tonight before Sine got home....its torture! I about sent him out of the tv room, but he brought home Thai food...it was all over then.

#116108  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:13 pm
Heh, after watching Death Note and Dexter, there's a lot of similarities:

* Both are killers of criminals who believe they are trying to benefit society with their roles.
* Both are members of the police, who are trying to evade capture
* Both have a relative working with them in law enforcement
* Both are in the guise of investigating their own crimes
* Both have their fan clubs, including wanna-be serial-killers slash girlfriends
* Lundey sorta reminded me of a realistic version of L, with his quirky personality. ("Hmmmm...is this a lion or a hippo?")

Makes me wonder if the writers had watched Death Note before. (Or perhaps the writers of Death Note had read the Dexter books.)

#116114  by Tessian
 Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:25 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Heh, after watching Death Note and Dexter, there's a lot of similarities:

* Both are killers of criminals who believe they are trying to benefit society with their roles.
* Both have their fan clubs, including wanna-be serial-killers slash girlfriends
* Lundey sorta reminded me of a realistic version of L, with his quirky personality. ("Hmmmm...is this a lion or a hippo?")

Makes me wonder if the writers had watched Death Note before. (Or perhaps the writers of Death Note had read the Dexter books.)
Never thought of that... but there are quite a few comparisons. I think it's really just coincidence, though.

FYI-- I've been told Dexter Season 3 will be out in March... I think. Definitely within the next 3 months which is a lot sooner than I expected

#116118  by Zeus
 Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:33 pm
From what I've seen, it's only been confirmed. I doubt with the strike going on they have eps in the can to finish a season. They MAY have a couple but it was only confirmed in December

#116157  by Eric
 Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:35 am
SineSwiper wrote:Heh, after watching Death Note and Dexter, there's a lot of similarities:

Both are serial killers
Both are fucking crazy. :p

At least Dexter kinda has an Earthly connection with Rita.
Light was an asshole to all the girls he was banging.

#116200  by Shellie
 Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:39 pm
Yeah but in the beginning, he only used Rita to look normal to people. He had no real feelings for her. Now he does. I was so pissed at Dexter at the beginning of the Aquarium scene at the end...until I realized what was going on. So glad that bitch is dead.

In the end, Light seemed to have feelings for Misa and Takada, I think...I dont know if he was asking where they were so they could help him, or if in his mad frenzy, his raw self didn't realize that he had killed them.

#116203  by Zeus
 Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:17 pm
Light became delusional and drunk with power. Dexter at least attempts to have a conscious (as much as you can for a serial killer), "his" code (it's no longer Harry's) is proof of that

#116204  by Tessian
 Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Zeus wrote:Light became delusional and drunk with power. Dexter at least attempts to have a conscious (as much as you can for a serial killer), "his" code (it's no longer Harry's) is proof of that
Their motives are completely different. Dexter does it to rationalize some good out of his disgusting urges... Light does it because he was given the book and decided to make a world where he was god.

#116225  by Zeus
 Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:23 pm
Tessian wrote:
Zeus wrote:Light became delusional and drunk with power. Dexter at least attempts to have a conscious (as much as you can for a serial killer), "his" code (it's no longer Harry's) is proof of that
Their motives are completely different. Dexter does it to rationalize some good out of his disgusting urges... Light does it because he was given the book and decided to make a world where he was god.
Doesn't Light start with deluding himself that he's making the world a better place?

#116227  by Eric
 Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:55 pm
Zeus wrote:
Tessian wrote:
Doesn't Light start with deluding himself that he's making the world a better place?
He DID make the world a better place. :P

And Dexter has his own little fantasies, like at the very end of Season 1 :)

#116230  by Tessian
 Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:33 pm
Zeus wrote:
Tessian wrote:
His are for selfish reasons, though. He says that at first, but shortly after talks about how he'll make the world a better place by installing himself as god of that world. Dexter's just finding a positive outlet to his unavoidable urge; he has no choice. Light chooses it and loves it.

I love both characters-- but Dexter's got different motives.

#116255  by Zeus
 Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:27 pm
Tessian wrote:
Zeus wrote:
Tessian wrote: Their motives are completely different. Dexter does it to rationalize some good out of his disgusting urges... Light does it because he was given the book and decided to make a world where he was god.
His are for selfish reasons, though. He says that at first, but shortly after talks about how he'll make the world a better place by installing himself as god of that world. Dexter's just finding a positive outlet to his unavoidable urge; he has no choice. Light chooses it and loves it.

I love both characters-- but Dexter's got different motives.
I'll agree with that