The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• There Will Be Blood

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #116531  by RentCavalier
 Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:11 pm
I saw this last night, and holy CRAP is it good.

I mean, it's a biopic sort of movie, so in style it is highly reminiscent of Capote--slow and seething under a calm and seemingly cold surface. Daniel Day Lewis is a tad more dynamic than Philip Seymour Hoffman, and it's a little easier to watch than Capote.

It's the story of Daniel Plainview, a cut throat oil tycoon who seems to be, if nothing else, COMPLETELY FUCKING INSANE in about twelve different ways. He's a terrifying sort of character and his story is full of just outright chilling moments.

It's a great movie, but it's REALLY hard to describe to somebody who hasn't seen it, because it's got a LOT of layers. I'd highly reccommend it to any serious movie buffs, but the casual sort of audience will likely be bored of its pacing.

Anybody else seen it?

#116954  by Ishamael
 Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:05 pm
Good movie. Very overrated though. It's a "critic's" movie, not an audience movie. Daniel Day Lewis is great (as usual).

#116958  by RentCavalier
 Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:29 am
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you, especially as I see the Oscars line-up this year and compare and contrast. Both Eastern Promises and No Country were MUCH easier to watch than this movie.

I'd watch this movie for about ten specific scenes, but I would be hard-pressed to sit through the whole thing again.

Of due note, WTF is with Michael Clayton being nominated for EVERYTHING? I mean, hot DAMN, I totally overlooked this movie ENTIRELY--I'll definately have to pick up the DVD.

George Clooney's in it.

I like him.

He's...

um...

pretty.

#116964  by bovine
 Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:46 am
michael clayton is an amazing movie.

#116990  by Ishamael
 Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:31 am
Kupek wrote:I'll watch any movie with Daniel Day Lewis.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fxv_6WA6A6M
Me too. They guy brings an almost absurd intensity to each of his roles. His co-stars (like Leonardo here often just end up getting blown off the screen in many scenes, even when they're good actors.

#117006  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:29 pm
No matter where you are, I -WILL- find you!

Sorry, I got to make fun of that line every time Shellie brings up that movie.

#117058  by Kupek
 Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:44 pm
Which is stupid, because that movie is amazing. Daniel Day Lewis, Madeleine Stowe, and Michael Mann directing.

#117083  by Ishamael
 Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:20 pm
I liked "Gangs of New York" more than "The Departed", the Scorcese film that won Best Picture.

"Last of the Mohicans" is one of the most underrated films of the past 20 years. Great story, great acting, great cinematography, and spectacular soundtrack.

#118581  by Blotus
 Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:33 pm
"Please forgive me brother Daniel! We're brothers! Aiiiiiiiiieeeeee!"

Lulz. I loved it.

#118583  by bovine
 Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:00 pm
if you have a milkshake, and if I have a milkshake....

#118589  by Flip
 Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:07 pm
Ishamael wrote: "Last of the Mohicans" is one of the most underrated films of the past 20 years. Great story, great acting, great cinematography, and spectacular soundtrack.
When Nike used the song Promentory for that commercial, does it make me old that i recognized it immediately? I cant count the number of times people thought it was the best song on the planet not knowing its origins.

Well, maybe the song was out before the movie, too, and i'm unsure of its birth...

#118596  by Ishamael
 Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:40 am
Flip wrote:
Ishamael wrote: "Last of the Mohicans" is one of the most underrated films of the past 20 years. Great story, great acting, great cinematography, and spectacular soundtrack.
When Nike used the song Promentory for that commercial, does it make me old that i recognized it immediately? I cant count the number of times people thought it was the best song on the planet not knowing its origins.

Well, maybe the song was out before the movie, too, and i'm unsure of its birth...
It just made me feel like a nerd, not old. :)

The song was made for the movie, so it wasn't out before. There are tons of other tremendous tracks from that soundtrack. I'm not sure if there's even a mediocre one, honestly.

#118599  by Shellie
 Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:05 am
Sine makes fun of me because that's one of my favorite movies. :P

(I'll do it for you Sine..) .."No matter where you go..I WILL FIND YOU!"

Oh wait..he already did that above....CURSES!

#118601  by Ishamael
 Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:15 am
Seraphina wrote:
Sine makes fun of me because that's one of my favorite movies. :P

(I'll do it for you Sine..) .."No matter where you go..I WILL FIND YOU!"

Oh wait..he already did that above....CURSES!
My favorite quote from that exact same scene is "Just stay alive!". I like the idea of commanding someone to live. :)

#118686  by SineSwiper
 Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:37 pm
Maybe I'll watch the movie just to find out what the fuck this milkshake reference is!

#118691  by bovine
 Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:44 pm
the milkshake part is in the best scene in the movie. It may be a great movie, but it's no No Country for Old Men.

#118700  by Shellie
 Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:19 am
Ishamael wrote:
My favorite quote from that exact same scene is "Just stay alive!". I like the idea of commanding someone to live. :)
Oh...that made my heart hurt a little recalling that part....lol

I cant watch that movie without crying, and Ive seen it like 15 times at least. I'd love to get a hidef version for my HDTV..I remember seeing it in the theater and it was beautiful.

I'm just glad to know I'm not being a silly girl for loving that movie lol I mean it has a lot of brutal violence, beautiful scenery, etc..not just a love story. And I love every bit of it.

Ok, Ill stop now ;)