The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• LOST

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #118737  by Blotus
 Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:11 am
Season four regained my interest after the long break with some solid episodes, but last night's episode was probably the WORST and most unnecessary I've ever seen. Absolutely TERRIBLE.

#118749  by Blotus
 Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:09 am
Very surprised to see so many people on IMDB saying "BEST EPISODE EVAR!!"

Seriously, I couldn't stop laughing at this bullshit.
 #118751  by Ishamael
 Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:08 am
Black Lotus wrote:Season four regained my interest after the long break with some solid episodes, but last night's episode was probably the WORST and most unnecessary I've ever seen. Absolutely TERRIBLE.
The worst episode ever? And in all caps, no less? Pardon my French, but are you fucking insane? That was a GREAT episode. Maybe not best ever, but that's just a matter of taste and I can easily understand someone for say that it was.

And unnecessary? Please, define unnecessary. Can someone please check the lead levels in the Canadian water supply? I think something is amiss.

GREAT episode of Lost. Don't listen to old fuddy duddy Black Lotus.

#118772  by Chris
 Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:38 am
Black Lotus wrote:Very surprised to see so many people on IMDB saying "BEST EPISODE EVAR!!"

Seriously, I couldn't stop laughing at this bullshit.
yeah I know. how dare they explain some things...buncha fucking ass holes they are.....Lost thanks to the mighty Brian has skyrocketed back on to my must watch immediately list. Although the bestest part was still the new Iron Man triailer.........fuck yeah daddy

#118794  by Lox
 Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:17 pm
Sadly, I can't even remember what happened in that episode, but I do remember thinking it was very good. I've been pleased with every episode of this season thus far.

#118819  by Anarky
 Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:46 am
*SPOILER ALERT*

Okay seriously what the fuck is up with Desmond and time travel this is the 2nd time! You all remember when the hatch exploded he went back in time then and gain the ability to see events and try to stop people dying. God I'm kinda getting annoyed myself about this stuff, poor fucking Brit.

#118824  by Zeus
 Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:39 pm
OK, hold on a sec: they've introduced time travelling in Lost? I saw the first season plus the first two eps of season 2 before I couldn't take it anymore. But time travelling? That's the definition of shark jumping.....

#118826  by Anarky
 Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:59 pm
Zeus wrote:OK, hold on a sec: they've introduced time travelling in Lost? I saw the first season plus the first two eps of season 2 before I couldn't take it anymore. But time travelling? That's the definition of shark jumping.....
Somedays I honestly expect to see Sawyer water Ski over a shark...

#118827  by RentCavalier
 Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:53 pm
I would say that you can't say the show is jumping the shark until the end, because it's at the end where we're supposed to be told all the big answers.

#118851  by Zeus
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:48 am
RentCavalier wrote:I would say that you can't say the show is jumping the shark until the end, because it's at the end where we're supposed to be told all the big answers.
I've heard from a lot of people that they just stopped watching it after Season 1 or partway through Season 2. Really, the show felt like a mini-series (12-16 eps max) from what I saw (24 eps). They wanted to make it into a full series but only had a mini-series worth of direction. Hence the revolting number of flashbacks (makes Naruto look like it has no flashbacks) and crazy direction they've been going in. They were basically trying to figure it out along the way but didn't have the quality of writer or producers to do it properly.

Also, the open-endedness of it didn't help. I think 24 would have had the same problem if they didn't have to have an end after each 24 eps. Gave them like a reset each time to sit back and figure out what to do. They used filler in Season 1 for cryin' out loud (the amnesia storyline with the women). Lost never had that blessing or the people behind it to sit back and say "fuck, we gotta do something about this before we kill it".

But what can you expect from Abrams? I mean, this is the guy who brought us fucking Alias for cryin' out loud. Because of him, I have very little hope for the Star Trek reboot.

#118864  by RentCavalier
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:30 pm
I personally loved Season 1. I haven't seen any of the other seasons, and while I agree that the flashbacks become a bit tiresome after awhile, they work well because they aren't JUST flashbacks--they actually serve to illuminate the characters and their overall role within the meta-plot.

Plus, some of the backstories are really interesting, like Sawyer's and Jack's and especially Locke's.

I will say that Kate is a bit tiresome. We get it. You're a criminal. You do criminal things. STFU about your stupid boyfriend's toy airplane.

#118868  by Ishamael
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:16 pm
Season 2 dragged for several episodes. I was on the cusp of beginning to write the series off.

Then they made the announcement that the show was only going to last like 6 seasons and the writing got MUCH, MUCH better. Why? There's no meandering filler (i.e. no Season 2 Kate/Sawyer love affair in the jungle crap). Everything you see now is tight and important. And the flashforwards add a whole new cool element to the show.

#118870  by Lox
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:17 pm
I agree with Ish. The series has gotten so much better with a planned end. Anyone who wrote the show off in season 2 has, imo, missed out. Their loss. :)

#118880  by Zeus
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:23 pm
Lox wrote:I agree with Ish. The series has gotten so much better with a planned end. Anyone who wrote the show off in season 2 has, imo, missed out. Their loss. :)
I wrote the show off after Season 1, it's never shown me it's more than just a mini-series. And from what I read here and here and there about some plot lines? It really, really sounds lame.

#118881  by Lox
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:35 pm
If you wrote it off after Season 1, then I don't know what your issue is. I thought Season 1 was excellent.

#118885  by Chris
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:19 pm
Lox wrote:I agree with Ish. The series has gotten so much better with a planned end. Anyone who wrote the show off in season 2 has, imo, missed out. Their loss. :)
I've said it before and I'll say it again...it didn't get better with the planned end.....it became better when you hire a guy who excells at that type of storytelling....it got worse when you lost a guy who excelled with the insane almost comic-booky plotpoints. After Paul Dini left you could see a decline in quality...especially of the flashback stuff...getting Brain K Vaughn....you saw the quality return because hiring writers that excell at it....if you want a good story...why not have guys running things that excell at it