The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Cool anime batman thingy

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#118181  by Chris
 Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:26 pm
it's actually a bit like the animatrix. six intertwinign stories that take place between Batman Begins and The Dark Night. I've seen some stuff on it and it looks brilliant. plus the writers involved are pretty damned talented

#118183  by Tessian
 Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:38 pm
That was pretty freakin cool; I can't wait till this thing comes out. The animatrix rocked and it looks like these guys want to copy that which is pretty nice.

#118186  by Lox
 Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:58 pm
That was awesome. I had not heard about this. Very cool.

And, yes, it's comic lovers plural cuz it's Chris and myself, at the very least. :) Not sure if anyone else is as fanatical as us. haha

#118643  by Chris
 Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:32 am
I also highly suggest Justice League: THe New Frontiere that just came out. fucking amazing job they did with the adaptation. they didn't add or change anything they cut some stuff out from the original story but it keeps the feeling of pure fucking win the book had. very very good. far superior to Superman Doomsday.

#118867  by Chris
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:47 pm
on second thought. I've talked with one of the people that wrote a chapter and it looks like a damned interesting story mostly revolving around batman and Deadshot....I love Deadshot....it actually made me really stoked for this. although some of the character designs don't work for me it's still a great idea to connect the 2 movies wth a cool little animated feature.

I still highly suggest New Frontier. nothing more interesting that a beautiful Justice League story that actually takes place in the 50's and is brilliant with characterization. well worth the price of rent and even purchase as I've already watched it a few times and with all the commentary tracks....

Next comes Batman...after that I believe they are now working on a Wonder Woman story which I believe is going to be based around the George Perez orgin story from the 80's although they havn't said anything so it could be any arc of the book. After that is Teen Titans : The Judas Contract I believe.....expect one or 2 animated movies a year. The collest part though is that they are basing all the art design off the art frm the original stores. modified to fit a more animated style but the core of it keeps true to the original run such as superman/doomsday looking more like Dan Jurgens than Bruce Timm or New Frontier looking briliantly close to Darwyn Cookes already animated style....

I have to give credit to Warner ad DC for doing a far superior job than Marvel has ont heir animated features. (Although Doctor Strange was pretty good.)

#118873  by SineSwiper
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:06 pm
They had a Doctor Strange series?

#118875  by Chris
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:34 pm
SineSwiper wrote:They had a Doctor Strange series?
nope animated movie. marvels animated movies suffered from being complete shit.

Ultimates - Decent but sure as hell wasn't the ultimates.
Ultimates 2 - Fucking horrid
Iron Man - Also horrible
Doctor Strange - quite good. really cool orgin story and ripe with sequal potential.

DC last year started their direct to DVD animated line as well which is faithful adaptations of what are considered to be classic DC sotrylines rather than creating completely original content. All of which will be PG-13 ratings and live up to them.

Superman/Doomsday - Not really a faithful adaptaton of the death and return of superman arc. prety dissapointing in that regard (However Lex Luthor was pure evil) and some of the vilence was truly suprising for being an animated superman movie. However it was still pretty good. actualy probably better thean the storyline although some of the important elements left out of the retun story element hurt it bad as the return arc was essentially Mongol coming down and destroying an entire city alongside the cyborg superman....an arc where in the end he saved the day for the world but he was too late for the millions of dead in Coast City..... Leaving that out hurts a lot. also the lack of clone superboy and john henry irond and the eradicatr kind of hurts as well.....but still....Lex Luthor is pure evil. watching him just shoot mercy in the face.....inda brutal thing to do to your faithful apprentice.....so not an adaptation t still pretty decent.

Justice League the New Frontier....definitely lives up to it's PG-13 rating. a story about the coming of the silver age superheroes taking place in the 50's. fantastically well done witht he main story revolving around Martian Manhunter and the Flash.....yet still taking a look at the silly concepts of the comics of that era such as wonder womans invisible jet......How do you show it.....well she's flying in injusred....so let's just flood the cockpit with her blood....pretty brutal. left out some stuff from the original comic but the most important stuff was left in and it translated amazingly to film.

Batman - looks pretty promising but is not part of the animated feature line. well kind of is but not in the adaptations of classic storylines aspect.

Wonder Woman ....still no real details announced other than it's an orgin but they havn't said which one.

Teen Titans : The Judas Contract - actually getting the writer of the story to helm the screenplays.......what an idea.....looked promising but has been put on hold indefinitely

#118876  by SineSwiper
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:56 pm
A death of Superman animated series without the four replacements? What the fuck is the point, then?

#118877  by Chris
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:15 pm
SineSwiper wrote:A death of Superman animated series without the four replacements? What the fuck is the point, then?
not a seriies...merely an hour 15 minute movie. while it took out a lot of the good stuff and the most important part.....it is also a far better story as a whole (as death of superman was complete shit..

#118882  by SineSwiper
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:44 pm
I'm not a big fan of Superman anyway. Damn guy is too powerful, and his weakness is just something that was tacked on to give him SOMETHING to be weak against. Characters like Batman, Ironman, or Spiderman all are better characters because they aren't all-powerful.

#118884  by Chris
 Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:11 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I'm not a big fan of Superman anyway. Damn guy is too powerful, and his weakness is just something that was tacked on to give him SOMETHING to be weak against. Characters like Batman, Ironman, or Spiderman all are better characters because they aren't all-powerful.
then you need to read some good superman stories....and there are some great ones. Superman's strenght as a character is just that....his character. when he's well written it's fatastic to read. wen he's not...well...it's pretty shit...as with...well....any character....spider man for about 10 years was outside of a few stories...pretty much a shit character....then he got a good writer and shineed....then went back to being shit...and now....is actually somewhat insulting to the intelligence....any character can be interesting...and superman has had a lot of poeple make him that way. GReg Rucka had an amazing run on the book where he turned the big blue into a character I loved for a while. same with the way Grant Morrison and Mark Waid wrote him in JLA. Also Joe Kellet on the main superman title. he can be a fantastic character....just like frank Miller can urn batman into a shitty one

#118900  by SineSwiper
 Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 pm
That's a matter of opinion; I hear good things about Frank Miller's Batman.

#118904  by RentCavalier
 Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:09 pm
Frank Miller's Batman is the SHIT--which means, it's AWESOME.

The problem with it is that all of a sudden EVERYONE wanted to be Frank Miller, and so we get a lot of tacked on dark angst to deal with in heroes who don't need it.

#118910  by Zeus
 Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:48 pm
I've heard nothing but stories of people wacking off to the Dark Knight series. Didn't it revitalize what had become a pretty stagnant Batman series?

#118917  by Chris
 Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:42 am
RentCavalier wrote:Frank Miller's Batman is the SHIT--which means, it's AWESOME.

The problem with it is that all of a sudden EVERYONE wanted to be Frank Miller, and so we get a lot of tacked on dark angst to deal with in heroes who don't need it.
yes.....in other words....frank miller ruined batman. not directly....but for almost 20 years you had shit story after shit story because poeple wanted to be the next frank miller.....That's the only recent revamp I've been glad for....making batman a lighter character...still the dark knight...still smart, tactical, and grim....but at te same time....human....oh his batman though....still not that great....his daredevil was far far better than his batman ever was......Denny O'neal....he wrote a great batman....

#118923  by Kupek
 Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 am
We've had this conversation half a dozen times.

#119067  by Eric
 Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:12 am
Kevin Conroy is gonna be doing Bat's voice for at least one of those animated shorts. Music to my ears. :)

#119083  by RentCavalier
 Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:17 pm
Steven Jay Blum should play Batman.

In fact, Steven Jay Blum should play EVERYBODY COOL. EVER. PERIOD.

#119112  by SineSwiper
 Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:06 am
RentCavalier wrote:In fact, Steven Jay Blum should play EVERYBODY COOL. EVER. PERIOD.
Heh, he gets around. And like every cool voice actor, he was in GitS:SAC, as well. (Hell, it seems like everybody cool was in Xenosaga, too.)