The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Poor Star Trek

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#121499  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 06, 2008 3:15 pm
-I will certainly read the interview in full later this evening, but-
It seems surprising that a director for a high profile Star Trek film would admit to the Associated Press that he was not a rabid fan and more of a "Star Wars" kid but that's exactly what J.J Abrams has done.
I already am mad at him. Comparing Starwars to Star Trek is like comparing Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom to a film like Gandhi. While they have similarities, they are also very different. Star Trek = cultural, social, sci-fi, and space exploration; Star Wars is just a Space-Western that Lucas tried to make deeper in the latest films but failed (according to the fans, I actually like Episode 3 the best of the 6 -but I'm not a fan-).

Abrams and his opinions or not, I have higher expectations for this film than any others in the past; mostly because the budget is MUCH higher. II also can't think of any instances where Abrams has done any bad directing; it usually ranges from good to great. I do have a lot of confidence that it will surpass Nemesis; my favourite of the Next Gen movies was easily Insurrection, but the most widely appealing next-gen movie was easily First Contact; I think that is the feel Abrams will go for.

What I am expecting though, is at least the best movie since Star Trek 6.

#121510  by SineSwiper
 Tue May 06, 2008 7:11 pm
The last ST:TNG movie was total crap. It had the X-Men 3 treatment of killing off characters and changing around major things just for effect. Besides,

just...

let...

Star Trek...

DIE!

#121516  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 06, 2008 7:41 pm
SineSwiper wrote:The last ST:TNG movie was total crap. It had the X-Men 3 treatment of killing off characters and changing around major things just for effect. Besides,

just...

let...

Star Trek...

DIE!
Let techno die.

I'm actually hoping a new series pops up in the next 5 years or so. Yeah, the last movie was bad, but it was because it focussed too much on Picard and action.

#121518  by SineSwiper
 Tue May 06, 2008 7:52 pm
Well, it's just that Gene is spinning in his space ashes every time there's a new horrible series that comes out for Star Trek. Star Trek stopped getting good when Voyager started. The TNG movies were mostly crap, too.

The original series, TNG, and DS9 were all great series. Let me remember those as the good Star Trek and bury the rest.

#121519  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 06, 2008 8:10 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Well, it's just that Gene is spinning in his space ashes every time there's a new horrible series that comes out for Star Trek. Star Trek stopped getting good when Voyager started. The TNG movies were mostly crap, too.

The original series, TNG, and DS9 were all great series. Let me remember those as the good Star Trek and bury the rest.
I didn't find DS9 to be very interesting myself, it had a few great characters, but very few episodes I found interesting; it seemed to have a ton of filler. On the otherhand, I found Voyager to be awesome from Season 4 onward; there just seemed to be a lot more depth to it than DS9. The first three seasons didn't particularly interest me a whole lot, but I only own seasons 4, 5, and 6 anyway.

#121524  by Zeus
 Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 pm
First Contact was excellent, the only one since TUC that was any good

#121527  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 06, 2008 9:04 pm
Zeus wrote:First Contact was excellent, the only one since TUC that was any good
Which is your favourite? TUC is actually my favourite of the series.

#121538  by Zeus
 Wed May 07, 2008 8:59 am
Dutch wrote:
Zeus wrote:First Contact was excellent, the only one since TUC that was any good
Which is your favourite? TUC is actually my favourite of the series.
It's close between those two. I kinda liked the one with the whales, too. It was good in a very cheesy sense. But I haven't seen the first 3 yet.

I'm not a huge Trekkie/Trekker, I only really like some of the movies

#121539  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 07, 2008 11:53 am
The Voyage Home (the one with the whales) is the fourth one which is commonly considered the best movie because of two things: it is more or less a comedy, and is absolutely great for people who know the Star Trek Universe; and it is also (actually more so than First Contact) a movie with a mass audience appeal to it.

I guess I am sort of a Trekkie, but I caught on with Voyager; and most hardcore Trekkies don't like anything that doesn't have to do with Alpha Quadrant politics. I also watched TOS and TNG when I was younger, but didn't gain a huge appreciation for them until after Voyager. I recently tried DS9, but my my interest sort of went away late first season and early second season, and nothing of the later seasons really grabbed my attention unless they were season finale/season premiere; I think I will try watching it in time, and even Enterprise. I think it's possible that no one gave Enterprise a fair chance, I only saw a handful of episodes (probably 3 or 4); but the Americana turned me off of it in those episodes initially.

#121542  by Lox
 Wed May 07, 2008 12:59 pm
DS9 got really, really good when the whole thing with the Dominion began and the war started.

#121555  by EsquE
 Wed May 07, 2008 7:45 pm

Nuff said.

#121558  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 07, 2008 8:05 pm
Lox wrote:DS9 got really, really good when the whole thing with the Dominion began and the war started.
Well, even the stuff leading up to it. The Star Trek writers were learning from Babylon 5 that people really dig non-episodic stories like that. And like most of the previous ST series, it really shined with interesting characters. One of my favorite quotes in the series was Sisko's interaction with Q:

Q: "You punched me! Picard would never punch me!"
Sisko: "I'm not Picard!"
Q: "Good. That just makes you easier to provoke."

One of my favorite captains. He seemed to take all of the good qualities from both Kirk and Picard.

EDIT: Esque, you post that, but don't link this?

#121560  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 07, 2008 10:45 pm
Lox wrote:DS9 got really, really good when the whole thing with the Dominion began and the war started.
I felt that the Dominion War story was the failure of the series. It just felt as though everything was filler except for the season finales when something actually happened. Again, I will give it a chance. When it was on I only watched it infrequently, so each time I tuned into an episode I didn't really see how it was interesting. Whereas with Voyager, I tune into an episode, and sure I am missing some developmental issues between the characters, but each episode is significant in its own, and not just as part of a big ongoing drama (But I've never been the type of TV watcher who keeps track of when shows are on, I just turn to what's best when I watch TV). I think Enterprise may have tried to capture the whole ongoing drama thing as well.

Speaking of Enterprise, I think the major reason I never watched it was because there was probably something better on in its same time slot.

#121565  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 08, 2008 7:54 am
Well, it was probably one of those things where you couldn't really watch it "every once in a while". Babylon 5 was like that, too. BSG is like that.