The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Lots of new-found groups on Last.fm

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #122843  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:10 pm
Really liking Last.fm, since I've found literally 10 new groups that I like. I've tried a few from searching on favorite artists, though I've really got some hits by searching from tags (like bigbeat or idm).

Despite most of you not really being interested in my taste in music, I'll try anyway.

Apparat - Style = IDM - I started off listening to "Ellen Allien & Apparat" from a Last.fm hit, and really liking the style. They are a guy/girl combo from Germany, with apparently differencing styles. who went off to do this one album. (Much like Sasha and Junkie XL or u-Ziq and Aphex Twin, and I love those.) I really like that album, though now that I've heard Apparat solo, I wonder if the chick really did much with the album. (Call me sexist, but females don't generally fair well in the electronic music arena.)

Anyway, think of if Radiohead's electronica mixer went solo. Or Aphex Twin's sound palette with a more IDM attitude. He actually sings on a few songs, too, but you would never know he was German from listening to it. Even the singing sorta sounds like Thom Yorke. So far, I've just listened to Duplex, but I plan on buying more.

Pepe Deluxe - Style = Rock/Bigbeat/Downtempo/??? - It's hard to classify Pepe Deluxe, at least from his Spare Time Machine album, because it goes in several directions. I guess UNKLE would be the most fitting comparison, since it has that guitar and vocal feel while still relying on a good mixer to give you a soundscape. The lyrics are actually enjoyable to listen, too (Captian Carter's Fathoms, for example).

Ochre - Style = IDM - Really like this guy. Seems like I've found a musician that sounds so much like Plaid that it made me check Wikipedia to make sure it wasn't. Excellent at bring a low-key ambiance into focus with chippy beats and uptempo grooves.

Overseer - Style = Bigbeat - Listened to his Wreckage album. Sounds like a more polished Prodigy, but unlike Prodigy, isn't afraid to kick it down a notch with a more downtempo groove, and then entertain with the genius last song "Heligoland" that tricks you into mistaking background elements as unimportant.

Fischerspooner - Style = Indie Vocal Electro - A lot more pop-ly then I usually go for (definitely radio-friendly), but the composition is smart and vocals fit the mood.

Porcupine Tree - Style = Progressive Rock - I think this arrived on Last.fm from an Orzic Tentacles search. (Just fucking listen to Waterfall Cities from the same-titled album, people!) I really like the guy's vocals and some of the music reminds me of God Lives Underwater (complete with some of their cynicism).

Planet Funk - Style = Funky Vocal Electro - The blending of funk and electronic and vocals styles really works here. Of course, I'm just repeating myself three times with the title, style, and description.

The Flashbulb - Style = IDM/Ambient Techno/ - Listened to These Open Fields, with a 22 song set of varied up and down-tempo rhythms that remind me of Future Sound of London in their Dead Cities era.

Telefon Tel Aviv - Style = Downtempo/IDM - Cool songs with warm lush synths that still have the complex beats of an IDM trademark.

#122913  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:00 am
Heh, has anybody even heard of any of these groups?

#122915  by Blotus
 Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:18 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Heh, has anybody even heard of any of these groups?
I only listen to Creed.

#122916  by Lox
 Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:17 pm
Black Lotus wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:Heh, has anybody even heard of any of these groups?
I only listen to Creed.
And Alterbridge.

#122927  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:17 pm
Black Lotus wrote:I only listen to Creed.
LOL. Seriously, what does everybody listen to? I notice that we mostly agree on games, and we can somewhat agree on movies, but music tastes around here are highly varied.

#122935  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:54 pm
My favourite genres are probably hip-hop and electronica, but I listen to all kinds of stuff.

#122939  by Blotus
 Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:19 am
I don't listen to music much. When I had an iPod (before it was stolen), I mostly listened to podcasts on it. I guess most of what I listen to is metal and a wide range of rock. Nothing beats Maiden. Nothing.