The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Went to the comic book store for the 1st time in 10 years...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #125416  by SineSwiper
 Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:44 pm
I was original there for Watchmen, but I grabbed a bunch of other graphic novels:

Watchmen
Preacher (first set)
The Sandman (first set)
Robotika
Darkminds: Paradox

Watchmen is actually pretty dense reading. Didn't realize that they had that much in the series. Preacher was a really good comic that I only read a the first few of. Darkminds looks and feels like a Ghost in the Shell type comic (minus the cyborg heroes). Robotika was something Sera was interested in. We got Sandman for her, too.

BTW, she's looking for something, I guess Dune-ish. Honestly not sure what she's looking for, but she does want something well-drawn. Dawn looked beautiful, but on the other hand, I didn't really like the art in Hellboy. She's probably going to steal my Watchmen to read at work.

#125417  by Lox
 Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:58 pm
Seriously...pick up Y: The Last Man if you want something more realistic and incredibly well done. Not sure if you're familiar with it, but it deals with a plague that wipes out every male on the Earth except for a guy named Yorick and his pet monkey. It's a great read and the art is very good. The TPD(s) is/are out with the whole series.

#125419  by Shellie
 Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:08 pm
Im using this as a guide:
http://www.squidoo.com/bestgraphicnovels

I wanna pick up Unmanned (Y: The Last Man) and Hellblazer

#125420  by SineSwiper
 Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:10 pm
Transmetropolitan and 100 Bullets looks interesting, and yes, I want to pick up Unmanned, too. I actually wanted to read Preacher next.

Just finished reading Darkminds. Good bit of action and story. Seems too much like they want to be GitS (yeah, there IS a female cyborg after all), and some of the action scenes were hard to follow, but otherwise, pretty good.

I really would like to see some better futuristic novels out there.

#125421  by Tessian
 Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:49 pm
I picked up the Watchmen a week ago; I'm on Chap 4 or 5 so far... it's getting pretty deep pretty quick, although at first the constant flip flopping between past and present was jarring... and the Book excerpts at the end of each chapter is almost a punishment for getting that far (you go from comics to pages packed with text). I love the content, I'm loving the story the more I read it and I guess thinking on it I don't see how else they'd be able to convey so much backstory without killing the momentum of the story... but it's taking some getting used to.

#125424  by SineSwiper
 Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:47 am
Make you wonder how they can put that into a movie.

Finished Book 1 of the Preacher. Awesome stuff, like I remembered. (I think I read the first 2-3 comics about 15 years ago, when it first came out.) A whole lot of fucked up in the series, too.

#125426  by Lox
 Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:34 am
I really enjoyed the book excerpts and all of that kind of stuff. It made it feel more engrossing to me because it was like you were in the world where all this stuff is taking place.

#125437  by Chris
 Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:51 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Make you wonder how they can put that into a movie.

Finished Book 1 of the Preacher. Awesome stuff, like I remembered. (I think I read the first 2-3 comics about 15 years ago, when it first came out.) A whole lot of fucked up in the series, too.
the text stuff is going to be DVD extras as well as the black freighter story.

honestly...Watchmen fr me is a little over rated. yes it's a good story. but the only reason it was groundbreaking was because of the era it came in. (I'd also put Moores Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow superman story on that list) But the fact is, other comics take on issues and are politically relavent as well now and a lot have done the social commentary thing better. Do I like watchmen. yes. but while it was amazing for it's time, one thing it didn't do is age very well. Although now that the cold war is starting back up again that might not be the case anymore....it went from being an amazing book to one that all in all when I look at it now.....it's just good.

Social Commentary with Superheroes done well

Green Arrow - The Longbow Hunters and Green Arrow volume 2 #1-80 by Mike Grell. Easily one of the greatest runs in comic history. Took on everything from government conspiracy to victims rights to homophobia and gay bashing. Fantastic story. yu know it's great when the opening salvo was a story where the CIA was funneling money to columbia through drug smugglers to buy weapons to send to Iran....(This was almost a year before the Iran COntra Scandal hit.....)

Checkmate - international covert ogrganization to monitor and control metahuman activities around the world. - Greg Rucka.

Gotham Central - What is it like being on the police force in a city that's for the most part ruled over by vigilantes. great police drama actualy feels like gotham is a real place... Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker.

Queen And Country - Greg Rucka - Working as a spy for the british secret service.

I could easly go on but I have to get back to work. I'll have a list of good stuff n the morrow.....

#125595  by RentCavalier
 Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:17 am
I fucking LOVE Preacher. It's just too amazing to be real--reading Preacher reminds me why I love indie comics so much. No need to stay loyal to a license, they can really branch out and DO stuff with the genre.

Plus, Garth Ennis is a bad ass motherfucker.

#125848  by Chris
 Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:22 am
Seraphina wrote:Im using this as a guide:
http://www.squidoo.com/bestgraphicnovels

I wanna pick up Unmanned (Y: The Last Man) and Hellblazer
Ill go through the list....because I have pretty much all of it...

Frank Miller's Complete Sin City Library - IF you like reading the same story over and over then frank miller is the writer for you.....

actually the Daredevil Omnibus is fantastic as it's the only relatively unique story he did. That was fantastic and brilliant. all his other stuff is really just the same story and tone rehashed again and again. so I won't talk about frank miller....

although All Star Batman and Robin the boy wonder is a brilliant parody book filled with pure utter hilarity. because he's the goddamn batman and he'll call his goddamn batmobile whatever he goddamn pleases.....It's one of the funniest books I've ever read and might actually be campier than batman & Robin. it pissed me off to start but it's briliant parody.

Warren Ellis - YEah Transmet is great but also I would highly suggest a few books from him.

1) nEXTWAVE - aGENTS OF hATE. PURE SLAPSTICK RETARDED SUPERHERO COMEDY.

2) Planetary - Easily his best work absolutely fucking amazing and I would call it a must read for anyone. ne of the best works of fiction to come out.

Garth Ennis - Preacher of course. brilliant stuff.

The Boys - the whole sales pitch is that he's out preachering preacher. the second arc sucked ass but the first story and everything after the second has been brilliant and has me eager to see where it goes.

Punisher MAX - The only take on the punisher I've ever enjoyed and honestly one of the best books of the last few years

Everything else on that list is self explanitory.

Mark Sable - Grounded - fucking fantastic book. it's one of the top books I hand to poeple to get them interested in comics.

Robert Kirkman - Invincible - best superhero comic in the universe....and it just might be. MTV is doing an animated slightly cut version of it but it's seriously an amazing book. buy it...

Walking Dead - Best Zombie horror book ever written.

#125849  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:26 am
I wish Preacher had been drawn by a more versatile artist than Steve Dillon. All of his characters look the same!

#125855  by Shellie
 Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 am
I started reading Preacher and Watchmen, I really like them both so far. The guy at the comic book store recommended Sandman (he said a lot of women get into it as their first exposure to graphic novels/comics).

I think I like darker stuff. I'm not so sure I would like your typical superhero stuff.

I will definitely take your suggestions to heart Chris :) Now I just have to tear myself away from LOTRO enough to read hehe

#125863  by RentCavalier
 Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:44 pm
Andrew, Killer Bee wrote:I wish Preacher had been drawn by a more versatile artist than Steve Dillon. All of his characters look the same!
This.

He gets better in the later issues though.

#125884  by Shellie
 Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:25 am
Finished the first Preacher and LOVED it. I cant wait to get the next one!

#125906  by Chris
 Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:49 pm
Seraphina wrote:I started reading Preacher and Watchmen, I really like them both so far. The guy at the comic book store recommended Sandman (he said a lot of women get into it as their first exposure to graphic novels/comics).

I think I like darker stuff. I'm not so sure I would like your typical superhero stuff.

I will definitely take your suggestions to heart Chris :) Now I just have to tear myself away from LOTRO enough to read hehe
that's why I didn't recommend any typica superhero stuff. I recommended the stuff that takes the genre, spins it on it's head and tells what are just really good stories. I'd rather read a great story than a good superhero story....

#125908  by SineSwiper
 Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:08 pm
I just finished Watchmen.

Holy fuck!

I'm just now getting dinner because I've been reading since I got home. I couldn't put the book down. Chris, I disagree with your statement about it being too dated. Granted, yes, it's based around 1985 and the Cold War that surrounded it, but nobody can deny such brilliant storytelling in any time period. Really deep characters, and this whole perception of superheroes in their past lives. Dr. Manhattan and Rosch are my favorites (probably everybody elses), but I couldn't help but like Nite Owl and how he stumbles into his role.

Hopefully, they can put together enough detail for the movie. It's a wordy graphic novel, but you'd be surprised how fast a comic goes per panel.

(Spoilers below.)

What an ending... It reminded me of Dr. Strangelove, or Fight Club (the movie). That sense of "Oh shit, the world is going to end, so what are we going to do now?"

EDIT: I just re-watched the trailer one more time. I can identify every single scene there. It looks like he's going to do the book justice, from what I can tell.

#125912  by Lox
 Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:33 pm
SineSwiper wrote:EDIT: I just re-watched the trailer one more time. I can identify every single scene there. It looks like he's going to do the book justice, from what I can tell.
And from interviews with Snyder, it sounds like he's not shying away from any of the more graphic situations that are necessary either such as...(hidden below as a spoiler)

When the Comedian shoots the Vietnamese woman in the chest after she cuts him for saying he's not going to stay and take care of her and their unborn child.

When the Comedian rapes the Silk Spectre.

End spoilers

#125923  by Chris
 Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:40 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I just finished Watchmen.

Holy fuck!

I'm just now getting dinner because I've been reading since I got home. I couldn't put the book down. Chris, I disagree with your statement about it being too dated. Granted, yes, it's based around 1985 and the Cold War that surrounded it, but nobody can deny such brilliant storytelling in any time period. Really deep characters, and this whole perception of superheroes in their past lives. Dr. Manhattan and Rosch are my favorites (probably everybody elses), but I couldn't help but like Nite Owl and how he stumbles into his role.

Hopefully, they can put together enough detail for the movie. It's a wordy graphic novel, but you'd be surprised how fast a comic goes per panel.

(Spoilers below.)

What an ending... It reminded me of Dr. Strangelove, or Fight Club (the movie). That sense of "Oh shit, the world is going to end, so what are we going to do now?"

EDIT: I just re-watched the trailer one more time. I can identify every single scene there. It looks like he's going to do the book justice, from what I can tell.
the thing is though....since then....it's been done better. it really has. what makes watchmen brilliant is the ending. not the more explicit stuff. because that's thrown in just about everything. political commentary has been done better by people who are honestly....better writers. Alan Moore has an uncanny crasp of comics and what you can do with them. but he's still got a formulaic approach to it. Watchmen is a good story with a brilliant ending. but there are much better stories. DMZ by Brian Wood I would put on this list. it's a war correspondent in the DMZ that is Manhattan. great political commentary. DEMO from Brian Wood. PAX ROMANA by Johnathan Hickman who also did Nightly News. all amazing books that in all honesty on a whole are better than watchmen because they are great books with great overall plots and no gimmicks. Watchmen is up there when it comes to superhero tales yes. but hen it comes to comics....it's not even in the top ten.....Although his top ten might be in the top ten.

#125926  by SineSwiper
 Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:45 pm
Well, even before the ending, I was still blown away by how good it was. I guess I'm a sucker for good character development.

#125934  by Kupek
 Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:06 pm
What initially hooked me about Watchmen was it is the best take on "What if superheroes really existed?" concept I've seen yet. Everyone's just some man or woman, and it's obvious. The meeting where they stand around trying to find a reason to exist is brilliant.

The only character who is a super superhero is truly inhuman. I liked that. I took as a jab at the basic fantasy people indulge in when they read superhero comics: if you really want inuman powers, then you'd probably have to give up your humanity, and the human heroes are just people in tights trying to justify their existence, or true sociopaths.
Last edited by Kupek on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

#125937  by Chris
 Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:17 pm
Kupek wrote:What initially hooked me about Watchmen was it is the best take on "What if superheroes really existed?" concept I've seen yet. Everyone's just some man or woman, and it's obvious. The meeting where they stand around trying to find a reason to exist is brilliant.

The only character who is a super superhero is truly inhuman. I liked that. I took as a jab at the basic fantasy people indulge in when they read superhero comics: if you really want inuman powers, then you'd probably have to give up your humanity, and the human heroes are just people in tights trying to justify their existence, or true sociopaths.
the funny thing was that it was supposed to be classic superhero. it wasn't supposed to be new characters. it was originally a pitch to use the charlton comics characters that DC had just bought the rights too. this was the story Moore came up with as a way to introduce it. it was supposed to be The Question (Rorschach) Captain Atom (Ozymandius) Blue Beetle (Night Owl) and so on.

#125948  by Zeus
 Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:19 am
Kup, white text on a grey background don't really disappear. Just FYI :-)

#125953  by Kupek
 Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:50 am
Sorry, I figured that the only people reading the thread at this point had already read Watchmen. Sine's the one who change the color of the text - thanks, and I hope no one saw it who didn't want to. The point I was making there wasn't as important as the other stuff, so I just removed it.

#125954  by Shellie
 Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:58 am
I haven't read Watchmen yet, so I averted my eyes ;)

#126315  by Chris
 Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:07 pm
ok after getting the latest issue which finishes up the big main plotline for the last few years I can fully through my weight behind suggesting the Vertigo comic FABLES by Bill Willingham. just amazing amazing stuff and not just the greatest covers ever concieved for each issue......there is the main series which just hit issue 75 and really shok things up without shaking them up.

seriously though.....James Jean is a god...

http://www.jjeanius.net/FablesMain.html

the whole run has been amazing up to this point and it's all collected. let's give a quick breakdown. Some mysterious figure known only to the escapees as the adversary has conquered all the fable lands. The mystical realms connected by gateways. a small community managed to escape to our reality and currently resides in a small community in knew york city known by them as fable town keeping their true orgin a secret from the word outside. to quickly round up the characters....

Jack ( Who now has his own title appropriately called Jack of fables which is pure hilarity) Every character whose ever held the name jack? THis is him. He's essentially a liar, exagerrator, and all around douchebag. really the focus of the first arc and a couple others. a great character due to his ability to always tell a good tale and even when he tells the truth noone believes him... defintiely not a smart move a couple of times. He's Jac B/ Nimble, Jack Frost, Jack and his Beanstalk (Magic Beans Rule!)

King Kole - The mayor of fable town. he's a merry old soul. everyone loves him and he's really just a fugurehead as the government i really run more by his deputy mayor.

Snow White - Said deputy Mayor. Has been controlling things behind the scenes for centuries. Easily half of my favorite relationship in all media. GReat character who manages to be strong willed, controlling but oh so caring.

Bigby Wolf - He's the Sherrif of Fable Town. son of the North Wind and a wolf....yeah that's right....he's the big bad wolf. he can huff and puff and blow your shit down........but he's a good guy now and my favorite character in the book.

Boy Blue - records keeper for the Mayors office. what's to be said. he plays his horn and hangs out with his friends.

Pinnochio - Yep he's a real boy.....unfortunately while he's flesh he still can't age. so he's a few hundred years old, grumpy, and still has the body of a 9 year old.

Fly Catcher - The Frog Prince. (You have to read the 1001 Knights of snowfall trade right before you read the Good Price trade as it makes it amazing.) One of the most heartbreaking stories ever for a character. he's the janitor on permanent comunity service in the mayors office. he's always jovial because he's forced himself to forget the traumatizing memories of his escae from his kingdom in the fablelands (As I said....1001 nights of snowfall)

Rose Red - Prettty much the black sheep of her family. Snow's younger sister.

I could go on for a long time. but if you can name a fable they all show up and all have great fleshed out characters. The tortoise the hare, the three little pigs, all of em. Seriously after 75 issues there hasn't been a point where I've put the book down dissapointed....except 2 issues. one was a wedding between my 2 favrite characters and easily one of my favorite comics ever written and the second was the flycatcher story from the 1001 nights of snowfall graphic novel. the wedding just had me grinning from ear to ear with happy and the 1001 story had me shed a little tear as it's easily the saddest tale I've read in a comic.

seriously. even if you don't like comics. go buy the first couple trade paperbacks and experience it....hell check em out from your local liberry. but it's one that's great to start from the beginning and go as the tension ramps up wth every story eventualy coming to a crecendo and finishing nw with a series of epic stries focusing on singular characters. But everyone has amazing character development.

Snow starts as a little bit of an overbearing bitch but you fall in love with her after a while.

Prince Charming (Every prince from a story) is a complete douchebag. you hate him from the first story to the last. but i'll be damned if I didn't come t love the pompous womanizing yet heroic douchebag. Sinbad's poeple pretty much start as terrorists.

if you can name a fable, they are in it....Hansel, Gretel, The witch (Who is the good guy) Baba Yaga and her hut, the old woman who lives in a shoe, the mouse brigade, the three blind mice, shire khan, Mowgli, bagheera, goldilocks and the three bears, Beauty and the Beast, Robin Hood, Blackbeard the pirate, Captain Hook and Peter Pan are coming, backbeard the Pirate, Ichabod Crane, Sly Fox, the tortoise and the hare, gingerbread man, Sir Lancelot, them flying monkeys from the wizard of ozz, paste pot pete

essentially if there is a poem or fable in the public domain, it's shown up. and if you think it's gonna be a kiddy book.....there is a reason it's at vertigo. It's not always happy. It's sometimes dark, sometimes happy, but always interesting. Plus it's had the same art team for almost every issue ith fill ins only coming on the anthology short story issues they did every once and a while.....seriously....go try it out.

holy shit....I'm like the Don of comics......just more concise and less rambly.......if I doubled this up I might come close. but really. it's been just fucking brilliant

#126320  by SineSwiper
 Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:24 am
You mean "less concise and more rambly"?

#132186  by Lox
 Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:05 pm
I just finished the last released TPB for Fables. Now I am going to start scrouning about to find the back issues to catch me all the way up.

The end of this story arc was awesome. I can't really add anything to what Chris said. Definitely worth reading through.

#132187  by Shellie
 Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:06 pm
...need to pick up Fables!!

#132200  by SineSwiper
 Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:04 am
Need to finish Transmetro. Got to the 7th book in the trades, and it's been a really fun trip so far.