The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• TV (SPOILERS)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #126576  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:41 pm
A couple of TV shows started up this week and I just wanted to write a cumulative post to outline my thoughts.

Weeds

I know this one didn't just start but it is in the process of wrapping up. Nancy is definitely becoming more of a sexual fiend than a drug dealer. I'm really not happy with where the 3rd season ended up so far. I liked last season better. Not sure what it is but this is the third show I've watched where the 3rd season just isn't up to snuff with the rest. This season has definitely suffered a serious Stroke. The DEA thing needs to go away. Celia's character has been put through the wringer way too long and is a far cry from last season. Shane doesn't talk to dead people anymore but has pretty much become a prick like his older brother though this is expected as Nancy pretty much neglects him and has Andy taking care of him. Doug's character had a purpose last season but now he is just annoying. I kinda keep waiting to see if this show is going to get darker or not and it is kind of now but we don't see it. Things are mentioned but nothing really is seen.

The Shield

It's the last season for the cops at Farmington but I have to say that this show keeps getting better and better. After also suffering through a season 3 stroke it has definitely picked itself up. The first two episodes and the preview for the next have kept me on the edge of the couch. I like also how they are being presented with limited interruption on FX. That is awesome.

Entourage

The boys are back and they have been gone for two long. The first episode brings us in a couple months after the disaster at Cannes. Vince has been shipped off to a beach paradise in Mexico by Johnny with Turtle while Eric pursues his management potential and Ari is just being Ari. I have to say Jeremy Piven never gets old and I believe he will be typecasted to play the same rolls over and over and over again. I got the sense though the entire dynamic of the boys relationship has changed due to the film disaster. Ari said it best "Forget like a bad piece of pussy." Hopefully they can make this go away fast.

Tru Blood

This show has a lot of promise. Although the Pilot definitely did not give us too much of a backstory and just throws the viewer right in the middle of what is happening. It left me with a lot of questions about some of the characters like "where are they going with this?" "why is this character important?" Mostly this having to do with the lead's brother in the first episode.

Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Ok, we knew that at somepoint Summer Glau was going to go bat shit crazy and try to kill John at some point I just didn't think they would do it in the beginning of the season. The writers pretty much hit us over the head with it over and over again last season towards the end. They need to make sure though now that they do not have her turn again this season because that is just going to kill the series. The love thing threw me for a loop though. Why are we getting all angsty all the sudden? I know John is a teenager but for fucks sake don't turn this into Gossip Girl with guns. I have concerns over the series longevity especially since it is on Fox and we all know they like to kill things off rather quickly when ratings start to slip. I really do not see this show going anywhere past a third season just like I doubt we'll see another album from Amy Winehouse.

Dexter

I cannot WAIT for this show to come out again. I got hooked on the second season and it is absolutely amazing. By far Michael C. Hall's best character since Six Feet Under. This show is also going into it's third season and I hope to god it does not follow Six Feet Under into a Stroke like state, but all signs point to that it might. It has basically wrapped up a lot of the storylines from both seasons in the second season finale. First off, the Cop that had it in for him is dead. The crazy British chick (who I'd like to lock up and throw away the key) is also dead though I thought it was too hastily done. Not sure what is going to happen with his girlfriend. Not sure what they are going to do with his sisters storyline.

Californication

I loved LOVED this show. The first season was hands down fucking perfect. I am not sure if the second season will be able to hold a candle to it though. Why you ask? Karen left Bill for Hank in the finale. That is it, game over. The first season tied up all of the loose ends with the exception of the book Hank wrote in New York. I don't understand how the show will go on. I'm not sure if I want to understand how it will go on. It was perfectly written and acted out in season one. With Duchoveny's sex addition problems it puts a damper on this show going into a third season. I would hate for the first season to be ruined by a sub-par followup only to not have a third season at all. Oh, and why wasn't the first season released on Blu-Ray? Come on people it is 2008!

#126577  by Blotus
 Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:54 pm
Re: Californication

Maybe Hank passed out at the wedding and the whole escape with wife and daughter was a dream. Either way, I agree with you that the season was pretty much perfect. It could easily stand alone at one season. Not sure how they're gonna follow it up... there just better be more Mia.

#126584  by Eric
 Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:28 pm
So many Rednecks on True Blood -_-

#126586  by Tessian
 Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:54 pm
Can't decide if I want to bother with Tru-blood or not... it was interesting but it didn't grab me. Also the girl fucking pissed me off everytime she was around the vampire. Her brain literally would turn off and she'd go totally googly eyes over him to an extreme I found very unrealistic and poor acting. You like him, WE GET IT, dial it down a few notches! Throws any respect you have for her character out the window.

Sarah Connor was good, but they do need to be careful about playing the "She's damaged and trying to kill us!" thing too many times. Question though-- when he turned her back she did have written "TERMINATE" but then it said "Order overridden"... did that mean she IS fixed, or just that she's still broke, but biding her time to kill him later? Liquid terminator bitch was nice too... but out of all the objects in a bathroom to pretend to be... WHY the urinal?

#126589  by Lox
 Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:13 pm
Yeah, it did tell her to kill him, but then the command was overridden so she didn't do it. Whether that's how it's always worked when future JC sent her back or present day JC only bandaged the problem remains to be seen. That did jump out at me though, too.

The first thing I thought with the Shirley Manson T-1000 was "how long did she have to wait in the bathroom as a urinal for that one guy to come in??? How many guys took a leak in her before then?" Kind of gross unless the T-1000 is actually like Shirley Manson and thinks that's kind of hot. :)
 #126590  by Anarky
 Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:19 pm
Are you talking about Weeds season 3 or 4 dude?
Imakeholesinu wrote: Weeds

I know this one didn't just start but it is in the process of wrapping up. Nancy is definitely becoming more of a sexual fiend than a drug dealer. I'm really not happy with where the 3rd season ended up so far. I liked last season better. Not sure what it is but this is the third show I've watched where the 3rd season just isn't up to snuff with the rest. This season has definitely suffered a serious Stroke. The DEA thing needs to go away. Celia's character has been put through the wringer way too long and is a far cry from last season. Shane doesn't talk to dead people anymore but has pretty much become a prick like his older brother though this is expected as Nancy pretty much neglects him and has Andy taking care of him. Doug's character had a purpose last season but now he is just annoying. I kinda keep waiting to see if this show is going to get darker or not and it is kind of now but we don't see it. Things are mentioned but nothing really is seen.
 #126592  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:28 pm
Anarky wrote:Are you talking about Weeds season 3 or 4 dude?

I was talking about this season (3)

#126597  by Flip
 Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:28 pm
Ok, i saved myself from reading any of those... phew. You didnt specify what shows in the header!!!

I watch Weeds, Dexter, Entourage, and want to watch Tru Blood, but i get them on DVD from Netflix later. Working at Time Warner/AOL i get free dial-up, but theyll be damned to give me free HBO!!

#126598  by Eric
 Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:39 pm
Seems Dexter's Season 3 opening episode leaked. :0

Didn't have quite the same "ummph" that the first 2 Seasons Season openers endings had. Still good though. :)
 #126608  by Anarky
 Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:03 am
Imakeholesinu wrote:

But... they're on season 4

#126620  by Zeus
 Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:46 am
Sarah Conner was OK, it'll be a good show to plug Monday night and something I can watch with my wife.

I'm dyin' to see Dexter too and if the first ep's online, I'll grab it as soon as I get home from Boston

I can't wait for 30 Rock to start and am dyin' to see what they're gonna do with 24 now. They've recognized they need to change so I have some hope. Earl I'll grab a few eps every couple weeks, it's something to do when there's nothing else on but it's not nearly as good as it used to be
 #126621  by Imakeholesinu
 Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:55 am
Anarky wrote:
Imakeholesinu wrote:
But... they're on season 4
Yeah you're right, season 4 this season. My bad.

#126626  by Shellie
 Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:41 pm
I have a huge problem with the vampire teeth in True Blood...

#126629  by Chris
 Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:35 pm
Seraphina wrote:I have a huge problem with the vampire teeth in True Blood...
magic folding paper....

#126640  by Chris
 Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:56 pm
honestly I've been a bit dissapointed in some of the TV so far this year. I still love Entourage but I'm really once again going to miss the offseason USA shows

This fall after knowing some of the stuff coming up after comic-con and through writer friends. I'm looking forward to some of the network shows. but for the most part for me this year TV wise it's probably going to just be Entourage Dexter and the Shield.

I might give Smallville another shot now that they've hired actual writers to write episodes and the new crew is ditching the idiotic rule of no flying and spandex and actually moving it towards being Superman instead of Smallville......Plus I'm obsessed with the Legion of Superheroes and the fact that they are finally doing a Legion episode makes me happy. It'll still probably suck ass though

#127290  by Blotus
 Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:44 pm
The new Californications (the first two are up to d/l) were great.

#127304  by Eric
 Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:29 pm
Chris wrote:honestly I've been a bit dissapointed in some of the TV so far this year. I still love Entourage but I'm really once again going to miss the offseason USA shows

This fall after knowing some of the stuff coming up after comic-con and through writer friends. I'm looking forward to some of the network shows. but for the most part for me this year TV wise it's probably going to just be Entourage Dexter and the Shield.

I might give Smallville another shot now that they've hired actual writers to write episodes and the new crew is ditching the idiotic rule of no flying and spandex and actually moving it towards being Superman instead of Smallville......Plus I'm obsessed with the Legion of Superheroes and the fact that they are finally doing a Legion episode makes me happy. It'll still probably suck ass though
I don't think you should give Smallville another shot, it might insult your Superman views at this point. Like he and Lois are working at the Daily Planet together, but he's STILL not rockin glasses. How she would ever be fooled when he doesn't have glasses on at this point is beyond me.

In addition they're making Doomsday have an appearance....as a human. -_-

#127314  by Chris
 Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:20 pm
Eric wrote:
Chris wrote:honestly I've been a bit dissapointed in some of the TV so far this year. I still love Entourage but I'm really once again going to miss the offseason USA shows

I don't think you should give Smallville another shot, it might insult your Superman views at this point. Like he and Lois are working at the Daily Planet together, but he's STILL not rockin glasses. How she would ever be fooled when he doesn't have glasses on at this point is beyond me.

I know. and I also know the overall plan fr the season and well....as I said.....It actually has me interested again.

#127316  by Eric
 Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:00 pm
Chris wrote:
Eric wrote:

I know. and I also know the overall plan fr the season and well....as I said.....It actually has me interested again.
Hmmm, well if you say so I'll renew my faith.

#127318  by Chris
 Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:26 pm
Eric wrote:
Chris wrote:
Eric wrote: I don't think you should give Smallville another shot, it might insult your Superman views at this point. Like he and Lois are working at the Daily Planet together, but he's STILL not rockin glasses. How she would ever be fooled when he doesn't have glasses on at this point is beyond me.

I like that they have finally gotten him off the farm. I also like they are having him all flirtaceous. at this point I think it's the 13th episode that is the legion of superheroes episode which has me totally pumped. why? because it's finally getting into something they should have done years ago. they are also it seems going to get away from the basic same plot for every episode and hired a lot of comic writers to write episodes (That's what made JLU so great)

#127365  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:34 am
I'm a year behind on TV (DVD seasons), I just got to the end of the fourth season of House, and I watched the two part season finale last night... Talk about intense! That was easily the best episode of the series; I don't know how they'll top it.

#127386  by RentCavalier
 Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:02 pm
I've just started watching Season 1 of Weeds. This show is WEIRD.

#127481  by Eric
 Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:00 am
Chris wrote:
Eric wrote:
Chris wrote:I know. and I also know the overall plan fr the season and well....as I said.....It actually has me interested again.
I like that they have finally gotten him off the farm. I also like they are having him all flirtaceous. at this point I think it's the 13th episode that is the legion of superheroes episode which has me totally pumped. why? because it's finally getting into something they should have done years ago. they are also it seems going to get away from the basic same plot for every episode and hired a lot of comic writers to write episodes (That's what made JLU so great)
I am absurdly fucking dense, the woman that took over Lex's Company is MERCY from the animated series, good god that's awesome lol. I was thinking to myself "Wow, she reminds me of Mercy from Superman TAS, and Justice League." But everyone called her Tess and I didn't may much attention to her last name.

Very cool to see chars like Harley Quinn and Mercy make the conversion over to Superman/Batman cannon. :)