The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Man, never thought Metallica would sell out to this garbage

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#126780  by Lox
 Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:59 am
The recordings sound fine to me. Maybe you need a super high-quality sound system with really nice speakers, but in my car or on my stereo at home, I"ve never heard any distortion.

From what I've read, this is actually a standard practice with rock and heavy metal albums right now, even though it's bad.

Also, the album is actually very good. I will be the first to admit that St. Anger was pretty, darn awful. But DM is just really, really good. It's fast, it's heavy. The songs are interesting and make you want to headbang! In fact, I got pulled over last night cuz I was too into one of the songs and wasn't paying attention to my speed. heh

Btw, thanks a lot, Flip...now we get to hear Sine on his pedestal about how they sold out long ago blah blah blah. THANKS A LOT. ;)

#126787  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:44 pm
Well, they DID sell out a long time ago, just like Aerosmith did. But it's been more the sharp decrease in quality since the Black album that's been disturbing

#126790  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:00 pm
I don't really see how releasing a guitar hero pack is selling out. It's actually fairly cool if you're a fan. Why wouldn't you want this?

In addition, I don't really see how this can be seen as "selling out" by Aerosmith, the band was born to market their music.

#126794  by Flip
 Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:12 pm
Dutch wrote:I don't really see how releasing a guitar hero pack is selling out. It's actually fairly cool if you're a fan. Why wouldn't you want this?

In addition, I don't really see how this can be seen as "selling out" by Aerosmith, the band was born to market their music.
The GH thing is fine, but the compression to increase volume is whats crappy. Yes, its the latest trend, but true bands have been sticking to higher quality standards as opposed to the loud=better. I've read about this issue a couple times over the years and you can def notice it. Classic rock mp3s are so much softer at the same volume compared to newer bands mp3s, but supposedly the older mp3s have the more intricate detail that audiophiles like.

#126798  by Lox
 Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:40 pm
I'm glad I'm not an audiophile. :)

#126811  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:07 pm
Dutch wrote:I don't really see how releasing a guitar hero pack is selling out. It's actually fairly cool if you're a fan. Why wouldn't you want this?

These Guitar Hero packs are not the basis of their 'selling out'. I think it's actually good fan service and a great way to allow fans to experience the music. I personally love it and hope they do it with more and more bands (hello, AC DC or Led Zepplin).

I'm not against bands marketing their product and making money off of it. It's when you create music or do stuff solely for the money when you sell out. Metallica vs Napster is a perfect example. They went after Napster 'cause they felt they should "maximize" the profits off of their music, all the while saying "we shouldn't let our fans steal our music".

Well, first of all, the only reason that Metallica ever got popular enough to make the money was because their fans supported them. Now you're calling them thieves. It ain't the foundation fans who stole the music, they bought the freakin' albums and merchandising (including $40 t-shirts at concets) which they survived on for years. They were very much an underground band until Black and their built their fanbase based on good music that wasn't mainstream at all. Second of all, they're supposed to be musicians, they're supposed to make music that people want and not solely for money or to increase profits.

A lot of Metallica fans figured they "sold out" with Black (I personally loved it), when they went from being a full-on heavy metal band to more of a hard rock band. People were already bitching and complaining that they did that just to increase their audience base. Then they go after Napster, call their fans thieves, then release an alternative rock/metal album (Load) as that was the current music at the time. To a lot of metal fans, that's the very definition of selling out.

Aerosmith, as you've indicated, is born to market their music. They're essentially the rock version of the current rappers or Garfield (FYI, by Jim Lee's own admission, Garfield was created to be marketed; his entire existence is to make money, not to make a good comic). By that very idea that you create music to be marketed (like Snoop nowadays) means you've "sold out" in the traditional sense. Very much the opposite of bands like Zepplin or Skynard.

On a personal level, I actually don't care very much if someone "sells out" as long as their output (music, comics, whatever) is good. Aerosmith and Metallica haven't had anything good in 15+ years. All they're doing now is living off of the past.

#126824  by SineSwiper
 Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:08 pm

Me thinks Dutch is being purposely dense. That or he didn't read the article.

#126871  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:16 pm
I didn't read the article because my level of interest in Metallica is about 0. I just browsed into the thread and saw talks of selling out. and that is what I was interested in.