The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• On Demand

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #128798  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:42 pm
So I went and took the plunge and got a new HD-DVR through DirecTV on Monday. It looks FUCKING AMAZING I have to say first off. Secondly, I started looking through the On Demand stuff which I just needed to hook the DVR up to the interwebs. Wow, all sorts of content. No HBO or FX though yet (definitely would like to catch up on Sons of Anarchy). Anyone else got this?
 #128803  by SineSwiper
 Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:50 pm
Tessian wrote:On Demand is so 2007...
http://www.hulu.com/sons-of-anarchy

You're welcome ;)
Commercials are so 2001. Frankly, I would prefer On Demand or DVR to that commercial-ridden bullshit.
 #128804  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:49 pm
SineSwiper wrote:

You're welcome ;)
Commercials are so 2001. Frankly, I would prefer On Demand or DVR to that commercial-ridden bullshit.
Hence why I love On-demand...no commercials.
 #128805  by Tessian
 Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:55 pm
SineSwiper wrote:

You're welcome ;)
What, you can't handle 4 30-second commercials? You know if you're good you can skip past them too with timing. It's a lot less than you would watch live, and their selection is better than On Demand.

#128806  by Flip
 Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:19 pm
I agree, im a fan of Hulu. I wish they could get the HBO and Showtime stuff, though.

#128808  by Shellie
 Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:34 pm
Hes just spoiled..since we get all the cable channels and OnDemand almost free.

#128810  by Zeus
 Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:54 pm
On-Demand? Hells yeah, been using a free version of that for the past 4 years or so. It's called "torrents" and you can find fucking EVERYTHING with it.
 #128813  by SineSwiper
 Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 am
Tessian wrote:What, you can't handle 4 30-second commercials? You know if you're good you can skip past them too with timing. It's a lot less than you would watch live, and their selection is better than On Demand.
I don't watch live TV. Ever. If I end up watching live TV, I just pause the commercials or pause the show to let the buffer accumulate.

I'm sure all of the advertisers are praising companies like Hulu for saving their failing business model. And you're contributing to that. I have a new business model: let the advertisers die. If you want good commercials, give me commercials that are funny and/or worth watching. Hell, I even watch some commercials as I'm skipping by, if it looks like a good one.
 #128840  by Tessian
 Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:37 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Tessian wrote:What, you can't handle 4 30-second commercials? You know if you're good you can skip past them too with timing. It's a lot less than you would watch live, and their selection is better than On Demand.
I don't watch live TV. Ever. If I end up watching live TV, I just pause the commercials or pause the show to let the buffer accumulate.

I'm sure all of the advertisers are praising companies like Hulu for saving their failing business model. And you're contributing to that. I have a new business model: let the advertisers die. If you want good commercials, give me commercials that are funny and/or worth watching. Hell, I even watch some commercials as I'm skipping by, if it looks like a good one.
You do know the alternative is getting charged to watch every episode, right? That or tripling your cable bill to the point that even you won't get it for free anymore. Advertisements pay for the show, are you telling me you'd rather pay $2-$5/episode instead of sitting through a few commercials that you can just as easily zone out from or do something else? It's not a failed business model just because you don't like watching them. What the fuck do you recommend instead?

This is more dumbshit than Zeus's tirade against Live...

#128842  by Zeus
 Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:49 pm
Actually, the proper analogy with my tirade against Live would be if NBC put an extra levy above and beyond your cable bill if you wanted to watch the second half of their shows. If you don't pay it you can only watch half of the episode then it goes black for the rest. You'd also be able to watch all of the previews, inside looks, or retrospectives......except for the ones you really want to see. Then you'd have to catch the re-run a week later if you wanted to catch it.

I'm OK with the advertising, it's a necessary evil. It doesn't affect me too much as I download the vast majority of my shows anyways. It's FUCKING irritating in football 'cause there's a commercial break every 6 seconds but I'm usually doing something else while watching the game so I live with it.

#128850  by SineSwiper
 Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:21 pm
Hey, if the majority of the public wants to "pay" for the TV shows by watching their shitty commercials, fine. Just know that there will be people who use Firefox and Adblock that shit away.

It doesn't matter if it's web browsing or TV. It's all the same thing.

#128852  by Tessian
 Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:09 pm
Sigh... first of all: Zeus I wasn't using you as an analogy, I was purely mentioning that Sin's attack against commercials is stupider than yours against Live.

Sine, now you change your tune. Your original complaint was about how advertising was useless and needed to die out... now you're just saying that people are stupid? Of course they know people ignore commercials. Fast forwarding through commercials is no different than getting up to use the bathroom.

I ask again-- what the fuck would you prefer in stead of commercials? It's one thing to acknowledge the need for them and to avoid them just like a normal person, it's another to be calling for their death. Advertising is a necessary annoyance, if you've got a better idea on how to pay for programming there's lots of people who would love to know.

#128853  by bovine
 Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:29 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I am Sine and I'm here to ask you a question: Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
No, says the man in Washington. It belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican. It belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow. It belongs to everyone.
I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...On Demand
wut?

#128854  by Tessian
 Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:56 pm
bovine wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:I am Sine and I'm here to ask you a question: Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
No, says the man in Washington. It belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican. It belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow. It belongs to everyone.
I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...On Demand
wut?
LoL Fantastic Bovine -- +1