The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Best TV Shows you probably never saw...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #128924  by Anarky
 Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:08 pm
So I was thinking about some of the shows I like that a lot of people may have never heard of, either it be animated or television and wanted to hear some of yours:

Most of these didn't get 2nd seasons, and I blame MTV for killing two of them.

Cartoons:
Clone High
Undergrads
Mission Hill

Television:
Undeclared (most of the Apatow/Freaks and Geeks guys were in it)
Arrested Development (fairly well known show with 3 seasons)

#128925  by bovine
 Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:27 pm
I lived mission hill! It was pretty mature for a cartoon.... like alot of the crazy shit they had on MTV in the mid 90s in cartoon form.

#128926  by SineSwiper
 Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:05 pm
I'm just going to attack US cartoons for now.

The Maxx - Excellent comic/psychological cartoon series. Alan Moore (of Watchmen fame and many others) co-wrote the comic books, and the MTV series was an excellent frame-by-frame cartoon of the comic. It's kinda hard to describe without ruining parts of the series, but it's well worth watching. No DVD, but there are torrents still floating around.

Frisky Dingo - Awesomely funny Adult Swim cartoon. You might have caught episodes here and there, but you really need to see it from beginning to end for both seasons. Basically, it's about a villain trying to end the planet in modern day US. The first episode is awesome "this is how a fucking villain is supposed to act" goodness.

Watership Down - Older cartoon, but one of the rare ones that dealt with adult themes, and still made it on theaters. Based on a book of the same name, it's about a den of rabbits searching for a new home. It starts out with a neat genesis fable of how the rabbits were created. The movie deals with a lot of scenes about death and survival in a brutal world where rabbits are prey for everything, and they must run and out-think their opponents to survive.

The Secret of NIMH - Though not as dark as Watership Down, this is in that similar vein as that movie, but with much better animation. Considered to be Don Bluth's masterpiece, this cartoon deals with a family of mice trying to move away from the demolition of their home, yet since one of the mice is really sick, they need a way to move their home itself without having them go outside. Heartwrenching with a wonderful story, it dives into a more adult storyline without being off-limits to kids.

#128927  by Blotus
 Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 pm
The Wire
Extras
River Cottage series
Californication

Zeus is going to say Veronica Mars.

#128928  by SineSwiper
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:42 am
I'm going to have to mention Firefly, too. Despite the cancellation, it's worth watching the series for the rich story.

#128929  by bovine
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:28 am
Black Lotus wrote:Zeus is going to say Veronica Mars.
My girlfriend informs me that I would like Veronica Mars if I was a teenage girl. Mayhaps not the gem in the rough that some people might make it out to be.

#128930  by RentCavalier
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:13 am
Watership Down is one of my favorite cartoons EVER FUCKING MADE.

Damn that shit gave me nightmares when I was a kid. That black rabbit? The Black Rabbit of Inle? Fucking scary.

Of course, when Pokemon Gold and Silver came out, I couldn't help but notice that Umbreon looks almost exactly like it.

#128932  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:51 am
Undergrads may see a revival around 2010/11. It was extremely popular in Canada, and Canada's version of the Cartoon Network is the one who will fund it.

#128933  by SineSwiper
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:40 am
Legend of The Seeker wrote:Undergrads may see a revival around 2010/11. It was extremely popular in Canada, and Canada's version of the Cartoon Network is the one who will fund it.
Which? Watership Down?

#128936  by Flip
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:55 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Legend of The Seeker wrote:Undergrads may see a revival around 2010/11. It was extremely popular in Canada, and Canada's version of the Cartoon Network is the one who will fund it.
Which? Watership Down?
Im guessing a show called Undergrads.

#128940  by Tessian
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:20 am
Undergrads was a GOOD show. It was originally on MTV I believe but barely lasted like 13 shows. It's just what it sounds like-- a cartoon about 4 guys as Freshman in college. I haven't seen it all, but the ones I did see were pretty damn good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undergrads

Also Code Monkeys is a pretty funny one I've enjoyed. It's on G4; a sprite animation cartoon about a game developing company in the 80's that's run by a crazy Texas oil tycoon. They go to extreme lengths to make it look and act like an old school 8-16bit game and it's great.

#128941  by SineSwiper
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Tessian wrote:Also Code Monkeys is a pretty funny one I've enjoyed. It's on G4; a sprite animation cartoon about a game developing company in the 80's that's run by a crazy Texas oil tycoon. They go to extreme lengths to make it look and act like an old school 8-16bit game and it's great.
I tried watching that, and really couldn't get into it. It seemed rather childish.

#128944  by Zeus
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:48 pm
bovine wrote:
Black Lotus wrote:Zeus is going to say Veronica Mars.
My girlfriend informs me that I would like Veronica Mars if I was a teenage girl. Mayhaps not the gem in the rough that some people might make it out to be.
Dear Lord....

That's EXACTLY what I thought until Tort convinced me to watch it. I finally relented after it was in its second season and gave it 3 episodes.....and was hooked. Sayin' Veronica Mars is a show for teenage girls after having watched it is like saying Starship Troopers is a CG-heavy, check-your-brain-at-the-door action flick that's just tons of fun with zero depth. Sure, it may look that way but it really isn't. If you still think that after watching it, you're missing the entire point of the show. It's got more depth than the vast majority of shows. Each ep contains 3 freakin' story arcs for cryin' out loud. But because it looks like a show for teenage girls, very few gave it a chance. Including myself until I was convinced.

Some others that I think people are missing out on:

Arrested Development - smartest comedy I've ever seen. It's amazing how hard it is to get people to watch this show
30 Rock - it's got a following but it's not particularly strong. Not nearly as strong as it should be for a very smart and hilarious show. Best comedy on network TV by a mile.

Anime:

Hikaru No Go - it's what the Death Note guy did before Death Note. Far better than you think, the Veronica Mars of anime (75 eps total)
Yakitate Japan - freakin' hilarious show that's just Jap-crazy enough to be highly entertaining (69 eps total)

#128947  by Anarky
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:08 pm
I've heard it has a big following there, and I've looked at the creators blog, good to know it may see a revival.

I just wish Clone High would get one too, a good number of the voices on the show are people from Scrubs.

#128979  by Blotus
 Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:52 pm
I hardly know anybody else watching 30 Rock. It's a damn crime. I thought of a few more:

Kids in the Hall
Kitchen Confidential
Superbowl

I hadn't seen Undeclared since it aired so I downloaded it the other day. Thanks for bringing it up, Anarky. I'm a huge F&G fan and it's insane how many familiar faces are in it. It even features a young FELICIA DAY! And the girl who plays Lizzy is an adult film actress in this season of Californication.

#128992  by SineSwiper
 Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:26 pm
Kids in the Hall was kinda hit and miss with me. I much preferred Upright Citizens Brigade. Some of that comedy was hit and miss, too, but when it was a hit, it was really fucking funny.

#129000  by Sephy
 Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:47 pm
undeclared - such a good show! I wish they made more seasons.

#129003  by Anarky
 Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:07 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Kids in the Hall was kinda hit and miss with me. I much preferred Upright Citizens Brigade. Some of that comedy was hit and miss, too, but when it was a hit, it was really fucking funny.
I have upright citizens first season on DVD, quality show :)

Another good show 'Whitest Kid U Know'

#129009  by Blotus
 Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:51 pm
We're including internet shows now?

#129010  by Anarky
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:04 am
Black Lotus wrote:We're including internet shows now?
Which show was internet?

#129011  by Blotus
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:30 am
I thought The Whitest Kids U Know was an internet show.

#129012  by Anarky
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:36 am
Nope, It had 2 seasons on TV already and the 3rd is on the way

#129016  by Mully
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:47 am
I haven't seen this one yet, but it's sounds fantastic and the reviews are really good. Come on IFC here in the states.

The IT Crowd

cool intro here

#129021  by Zeus
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:39 pm
The IT Crowd is an entertaining diversion here and there. But I prefer EP Daily if I'm watching G4 Tech TV. Do you guys get EP (Electric Playground) down there?

#129024  by Blotus
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:53 pm
G4 Canada bites. It's the same five or six shows ALL THE TIME.

#129030  by Zeus
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:55 pm
Black Lotus wrote:G4 Canada bites. It's the same five or six shows ALL THE TIME.
Yeah, I know. But I do like the ones they have. EP is my fav and Attack of the SHow and X-Play are good. I really like the Unbeatable Banzuke, that's an awesome show. Hurl is actually funny to watch too :-)

#129040  by Flip
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:19 pm
Ninja Warrior is also cool and the new show Human Wreaking balls is entertaining.

#129049  by Blotus
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:13 pm
We don't get any of that shit here, Flip.

The worst thing about G4 Canada is the terrible (and terribly outdated) commercials. They replay the "Quickplay" bits for games as old as Madden '06. Those Mac tips ones are annoying as well. When they started advertising for IT Crowd, they'd show the same commercial two or three times during a break, wherein the guy lets the phone ring and ring and ring... I had to change the channel after a while.

It's run by monkeys!

Boy I'd like be the meat in an Olivia Munn/Layla Kayleigh sandwich.

#129053  by Zeus
 Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:49 pm
Flip - I only wish we got those here. We really only have about 12 shows on the entire channel, it's nuts. I like it but would have a hard time paying for it. It just doesn't have a very good selection at all.

Lotus - oh fuck yeah. Layleigh is a cute little pocket rocket, ain't she? And that accent.......

#129056  by Blotus
 Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:37 am
Fap

#129058  by bovine
 Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:04 am
bewbs on the forum?!

holy moly.

#129060  by Blotus
 Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:09 am
There were a lot of boobs on the old board. I'm talking dozens!