The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Star Trek trailer

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #129214  by Tessian
 Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:09 pm
I assume most of the rest of you have seen it... but one part nags me.

So this is supposed to tell the story of the beginning of the NCC-1701-A and it's crew, right? Are we really supposed to believe that this whole voyage started when they were in their mid-late 20's? Am I the only one who looks at this and sees it as Star Trek taking Tiny-Toons + 90210? Don't get me wrong, the movie looks awesome... but I don't see the super-young actors being there for any other reason than as eye candy and hipness factor. If it's being made as a "What if?" movie then great, but otherwise it just seems forced to sell tickets.

/You don't give a starship over to a 25 year old kid
//and I didn't even like the original ST...

#129217  by Zeus
 Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:17 pm
Honestly, it looked like a Party of Five movie until I saw the Romulan ears
 #129225  by Flip
 Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm
Tessian wrote:I assume most of the rest of you have seen it... but one part nags me.

So this is supposed to tell the story of the beginning of the NCC-1701-A and it's crew, right? Are we really supposed to believe that this whole voyage started when they were in their mid-late 20's? Am I the only one who looks at this and sees it as Star Trek taking Tiny-Toons + 90210? Don't get me wrong, the movie looks awesome... but I don't see the super-young actors being there for any other reason than as eye candy and hipness factor. If it's being made as a "What if?" movie then great, but otherwise it just seems forced to sell tickets.

You might be assuming too much at this point. I'll hold judgment until i see it, because i am excited about this movie. My bet is that the 'kids' are not in charge of the Enterprise right off the bat. Maybe Kirk is #2 and the captain goes down or something. If not, i would agree with you.

What is the most intriguing is Abrams directing. How many famous writer/producers tackle TV and Film to the success that he has? Everything he does is quality work and i can see him continuing that statement with Star Trek.

#129227  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:15 pm
In the story: Kirk was noted as being abnormally successful at a very young age, it was never really elaborated on in any way until this movie.

My expectations are high for this movie, the studio crew and budget for the film are above what they have ever been before.

#129233  by SineSwiper
 Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:45 pm
Let it die, let it die, let it die! I don't know which is worse: George Lucas fucking up his OWN creation, or other people fucking up Gene's creation.

#129243  by M'k'n'zy
 Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:29 pm
I thought it was supposed to be the start of the original Enterprise, plus some of their time in the academy, I may be wrong on that tho.-
 #129256  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 am
Tessian wrote:I assume most of the rest of you have seen it... but one part nags me.

My guess is that they want to get the kids young so they can make more of the films for the next 10 years. With all that will go on in this one I'm going to guess this is going to be like a 2 1/2 hour film to begin with.

#129259  by SineSwiper
 Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:06 pm
Heh, Sylar as Spock, and wasn't that the Imohara dude from Mythbusters?

#129280  by Kupek
 Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:15 pm
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/faq.html :
How old is the commanding officer of a submarine?

The average age of a Commanding Officer is 38-42.
Let's assume this was filmed in 2007.

Chris Pine (Kirk): 27
Zachary Quinto (Spock): 30
Simon Pegg (Scotty): 37
Karl Urban (McCoy): 35
John Cho (Sulu): 35
Zoe Saldana (Uhura): 29

As Seeker pointed out, if Kirk is supposed to be a prodigy, making him young fits. While even the youngest is younger than the average age of a CO on a US submarine, no one is what I'd call a "kid."

#129284  by M'k'n'zy
 Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:55 pm
Kupek wrote:http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/faq.html :
How old is the commanding officer of a submarine?

The average age of a Commanding Officer is 38-42.
Let's assume this was filmed in 2007.

Chris Pine (Kirk): 27
Zachary Quinto (Spock): 30
Simon Pegg (Scotty): 37
Karl Urban (McCoy): 35
John Cho (Sulu): 35
Zoe Saldana (Uhura): 29

As Seeker pointed out, if Kirk is supposed to be a prodigy, making him young fits. While even the youngest is younger than the average age of a CO on a US submarine, no one is what I'd call a "kid."
He was supposed to be the youngest captain in starfleet history if I remember right.

#129321  by Zeus
 Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:03 am
M'k'n'zy wrote:He was supposed to be the youngest captain in starfleet history if I remember right.
Did Star Trek cannon ever mention the uncanny similarities the story of the "young" Enterprise crew had to "historical" TV shows like Party of Five? :-)

#129324  by bovine
 Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:42 pm
Zeus wrote:Star Trek cannon

pew pew

#129340  by SineSwiper
 Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:39 pm
Zeus wrote:Did Star Trek cannon ever mention the uncanny similarities the story of the "young" Enterprise crew had to "historical" TV shows like Party of Five? :-)
McCoy's supposed to be around 35 or so in the movie, and Scotty should be in his 30's too, though most of the crew was pretty young.

Face it, ST:TOS started off with a bunch of fresh faced people in their 20s and 30s. It's only natural that a movie about when they started out would involve a young crew.

One thing that really bugs me (besides not killing off the series and putting it to rest) is that scene when they are building the starship. They are supposed to build starships in space. The starships they have aren't planet-worthy, so if they built in on land, it wouldn't make it outside the planet without some completely unnecessary booster rockets trying to force an entirely unaerodynamic starship to space. (In which case, the ship would just blow up in the atmosphere.)

Science used to be one of the core tenants of the series. Man, this is going to be another Michael Bay-like nightmare, isn't it?

#129344  by Tessian
 Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:43 pm
Actually Sine... I believe the FIRST Enterprise (NCC-1701) may very well have been built on the ground. You're talking about a time when the Federation was barely off the ground, I don't think a space shipyard was put together yet... although later versions were made up there. The first one was small enough to be able to still do this, and apparently ST lore backs this up.

I actually even found this Wiki-like entry Enterprise:

The vessel registered NCC-1701, which was constructed in San Francisco and launched in 2245, was christened the Enterprise.