The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Bear fakes it

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #129786  by SineSwiper
 Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:56 am
Found a few of these fraud videos and other related links:

Walks across a "unstable" fissure
Faking it in Kilauea
Fakes it in Oahu
Montage of a bunch of fakes (good stuff)
Wiki dedicated to Bear's fakes

I'm a fan of Survivorman, myself. Les Stroud is actually trying to realistically show survival. Half the shit that Bear recommends would get you killed, anyway.

#129790  by Tessian
 Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:47 pm
I thought everyone knew this already? They caught him like a year ago staying at a hotel when he was supposed to be out filming.

#129791  by Flip
 Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:54 pm
Tessian wrote:I thought everyone knew this already? They caught him like a year ago staying at a hotel when he was supposed to be out filming.
Apparently, they move him out if the situation is life threatening... they now put a disclaimer in the beginning due to the publicity the hotel thing caused and they explain if a situation is staged now, too. Not as cool as if it was real, but still entertaining.

#129793  by RentCavalier
 Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:48 pm
Some of the fakes, like pre-cutting handholds in the ice, I understand, because Discovery Channel would not want its star actually DYING on camera.

However, it's clear that the majority of the fakes were meant to add something to the situation, or make Bears seem cooler than he really was, and that's poor.

Survivorman for the win!

Just one Canadian and a camera against the world.

#129799  by SineSwiper
 Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:04 pm
Well, it's not just the fact that he's faking it, but the advice is absolutely dangerous for the people that actually believe him. For example, drinking your own urine can make you sick, and climbing just about anything in a survival situation will get you killed.

#129824  by Tessian
 Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:00 pm
SineSwiper wrote:For example, drinking your own urine can make you sick

I dunno about you but I'm much more allergic to death.

#129830  by Kupek
 Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:54 pm
And the excerpts on the page Sine linked argue that if you drink urine, you will die faster.