The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Heroes

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#129850  by Anarky
 Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:53 am
great... a whole ep showcasing the two characters I want written off most.

Where is the goat when I need him

#129865  by Anarky
 Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:58 pm

#129905  by Zeus
 Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:46 am
Anarky wrote:great... a whole ep showcasing the two characters I want written off most.

Where is the goat when I need him
Just when you think they may do something interesting with those two, they go ahead and make it silly.

These guys need some serious direction. They should hire Alan Ball for a season.

#129920  by Anarky
 Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:59 pm
I was talking to a buddy, and my conclusion is they need to hire 2 comic book writers as part of the staff.

I'm having serious doubts over a 4th season being worthwhile, and I've decided that if next season they once again go to the future and have to fix something I'm done.

#129925  by Zeus
 Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:38 pm
I'll wait out Season 3 but it'll determine my enthusiams (or lack thereof) for Season 4

#129934  by Lox
 Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:37 pm
Anarky wrote:I was talking to a buddy, and my conclusion is they need to hire 2 comic book writers as part of the staff.

I'm having serious doubts over a 4th season being worthwhile, and I've decided that if next season they once again go to the future and have to fix something I'm done.
Even with this season being very poor, I will continue to watch only so I can read the Goat's reviews and understand what he's talking about. The show is usually so bad that it's even more fun to watch.

#129935  by Anarky
 Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:44 pm
Lox wrote:
Anarky wrote:I was talking to a buddy, and my conclusion is they need to hire 2 comic book writers as part of the staff.

Even with this season being very poor, I will continue to watch only so I can read the Goat's reviews and understand what he's talking about. The show is usually so bad that it's even more fun to watch.
That is how I explained Heroes to a friend, it is like watching a Car crash you cannot look away from.

#129943  by Zeus
 Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:34 pm
Any one else notice the huge borrowing of Captain America's super solider program idea/execution with the injection in the last ep?

#129971  by SineSwiper
 Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:14 am
I thought it more like "Insert Generic Power Here". This guy is so going to get killed, or he's going to go crazy (and get killed).

#129979  by Mully
 Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:34 am
<deleted>
Last edited by Mully on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

#129980  by Mully
 Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:34 am
Zeus wrote:Any one else notice the huge borrowing of Captain America's super solider program idea/execution with the injection in the last ep?

Or flashbacks of Spiderman

#129988  by Zeus
 Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:22 pm
Mully wrote:
Zeus wrote:Any one else notice the huge borrowing of Captain America's super solider program idea/execution with the injection in the last ep?

With the injection? No, missed that reference

#130104  by Mully
 Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:14 am
Zeus wrote:
Mully wrote:

With the injection? No, missed that reference
Yeah, both "goblins" were injected then put in a glass "case" they broke out of.

#130170  by Zeus
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:41 am
Well, there was a ton of deaths in the last episode of "Volume 3" (I actually think it's a good idea to split each season into 2 separate overall arcs; Veronica Mars shoulda done that). It's almost like they just said "we don't need any of these guys anymore - or Elle who we already got rid of - let's just kill them". I don't even know where they're going with it anymore.

And what the hell is it with Nathan becoming the big bad guy now? That was a helluva turn for no reason. Two episodes ago he's trying to get the Haitian to help take down his father now he's taken up his legacy and looks like he's gonna do much, much worse. He dumps his hot assistant, claims he woulda let his brother die in the fire, and uses his powers as a senator to turn the US gov't against "special" people. Wha? It's like they trapped him in this "it's the path your father pushed you into but it's really who you are" bullshit and since they wanted to get rid of Arthur (you can't have an almost omnipotent being like that), it's a convenient - and kinda lame - way to have someone take over being the main bad guy since Sylar will actually be boring as that long term.

So I guess Volume 4 is gonna be about the future where Claire joins Nathan and Peter's on the run leading him to go back to the past to try and kill his brother. I guess that's how Ando and Hiro get split up too (they still have to find a way to get Hiro his powers back; maybe Ando will "accelerate" them and they come back?).

#130172  by Lox
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am
Zeus, just stop. You're CLEARLY putting way more thought into the show than the writers are! :)

#130176  by Eric
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:10 am
Yeah really.

And Nathan's turn around was ridiculous. It made absolutely no sense.

#130177  by Lox
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:24 am
The only thing about the episode that I liked was Sylar just being an evil, horrible villain.

#130179  by Anarky
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Nathan just wants to be King of the Douchebags. And once again Mohinder is setup to be working for evil corperation D next volume.

#130180  by Zeus
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:44 pm
Lox wrote:The only thing about the episode that I liked was Sylar just being an evil, horrible villain.
He and Peter need to have a "Superman" showdown. They're both basically indestructible and have insane powers.

Oh, and what the hell was that with Hiro getting the formula from Tracey by punching her out and just grabbing it. That was dumb. She coulda just frozen him in a heartbeat and she'd be done with him.

#130181  by Eric
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:17 pm
Did Peter get all of his powers back? Or just his ability to absorb abilities and he used Nathan's?

I imagine it'd be a problem if he took Scyler's power and the hunger again. >.>

Also Hiro doesn't really come off as a threat to anybody, which is why he was able to punch her lol.

#130182  by Lox
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:35 pm
I believe Peter only has his original power so he was able to immediately take Nathan's and fly them out of there. I really hope he doesn't have all of those other powers. Not that it is hard for him to get most of them back, but it'd be nice if he had to work for it. At the very least, he can't get Elle's back or the invisible guy's or the exploding man powers. He could easily get Claire's and Parkman's and Hiro's.

The first thing I would do if I were Peter would be to fly down to Haiti and take the Haitian's brother's powers (if he's still alive). Then I'd go get Claire's. If he had inpenetrable skin and a healing factor, he'd be unstoppable since nothing could pierce his brain.

#130184  by Zeus
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:23 pm
That would make sense why he ran towards Nathan then flew.

Claire's first for sure. It's too bad he can't steal the Haitian's power. If things ever get hairy, he can just use it to shut everyone down.

What he should do is fly to Washington, pick up Nathan, carry him a few hundred feet in the air (in public; in front of the president and/or cameras if possible) and drop him. That will stop Nathan's agenda damn quick.

#130185  by Lox
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:42 pm
Zeus wrote:Claire's first for sure. It's too bad he can't steal the Haitian's power. If things ever get hairy, he can just use it to shut everyone down.
Actually, he could take the Haitian's powers. The first season implied that his powers were passive (so he just walked into a room and everyone got shut down), but this season they have since contradicted themselves and shown that they are active. In last week's episode, he had to focus on Arthur to control him and Sylar had his powers while he was standing there. So as long as he wasn't actively canceling out Peter, Peter could absorb them.
Zeus wrote:What he should do is fly to Washington, pick up Nathan, carry him a few hundred feet in the air (in public; in front of the president and/or cameras if possible) and drop him. That will stop Nathan's agenda damn quick.
Except Peter is too much of a sissy. Heck, he knew the Haitian was barely containing Arthur's powers and that Arthur would easily kill them both soon and he still couldn't pull the trigger.

#130187  by Zeus
 Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:12 pm
As much as they contradict themselves, it was only implied that the Haitian was passive. No one ever said it was

He's a pansy....but a pansy who goes back in time to shoot his brother. You'd think he'd at least be able to just humiliate him

#130189  by Anarky
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:43 am
So... In theory if Peter is having to regain his powers and Hiro no longer has Time Travel.... Then no more fucking lame plot device to travel to the future and fix it!!!

SUCCESS!

#130193  by Zeus
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:34 am
Anarky wrote:So... In theory if Peter is having to regain his powers and Hiro no longer has Time Travel.... Then no more fucking lame plot device to travel to the future and fix it!!!

SUCCESS!
Peter does actually travel back in time to try and kill Nate so he'll get it from somewhere.

And didn't we see the future Hiro time travel?

#130194  by Lox
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:42 am
Zeus wrote:
Anarky wrote:So... In theory if Peter is having to regain his powers and Hiro no longer has Time Travel.... Then no more fucking lame plot device to travel to the future and fix it!!!

SUCCESS!
Peter does actually travel back in time to try and kill Nate so he'll get it from somewhere.

There's nothing that says that this is that exact same time line. I guess it could be, but it's totally obvious yet. Now, if they give Peter his "dark Peter" scar before he gets Claire's powers, then maybe. :)

#130195  by Mully
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:18 am
Lox wrote: There's nothing that says that this is that exact same time line. I guess it could be, but it's totally obvious yet. Now, if they give Peter his "dark Peter" scar before he gets Claire's powers, then maybe. :)
He has that scar now...i think.

#130197  by Lox
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:44 am
Mully wrote:
Lox wrote: There's nothing that says that this is that exact same time line. I guess it could be, but it's totally obvious yet. Now, if they give Peter his "dark Peter" scar before he gets Claire's powers, then maybe. :)
He has that scar now...i think.
Did he get it when he saved Nathan? I might have missed it though I keep all of the Heroes eps saved on my DVR so I'll have to go watch again. :)

#130199  by Shellie
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:07 am
He got a big cut on his face from Sylar I think. Its not the same as the "dark Peter" scar though

#130201  by Anarky
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:40 pm
Zeus wrote:

SUCCESS!

This is the problem when you add time travel into a series... we don't know if all those other things continue to happen or if that time line is now different.

Because remember Future Hiro lost Ando in the new york explosion, but in the last series Future Ando Killed Hiro. So I guess all that gets thrown out.

#130206  by Eric
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:29 pm
Heroes takes that nothing is set in stone route when it comes to future events. So seeing the future is nothing more then a plot device to set up the season.

time travel is obviously still there since the fast running girl who's name escapes me can run back in time with Ando's help.

#130207  by Anarky
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:00 pm
Eric wrote:Heroes takes that nothing is set in stone route when it comes to future events. So seeing the future is nothing more then a plot device to set up the season.

time travel is obviously still there since the fast running girl who's name escapes me can run back in time with Ando's help.
Goddamn it... you're right, they still have time travel -_-

#130209  by Zeus
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:12 pm
Eric wrote:Heroes takes that nothing is set in stone route when it comes to future events. So seeing the future is nothing more then a plot device to set up the season.

Yeah but they've made a conscience effort to go back to the "bad" future from the start of the season. From Peter's scar to setting up the reason Peter goes back in time to kill Nathan to Matt and superspeed girl being together to Claire starting to become a hunter and being against Peter...they're almost going to the whole "the future is what it is and you can't stop it" idea that the Terminator franchise eventually ended up at in T3.

#130210  by Zeus
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:13 pm
Seraphina wrote:He got a big cut on his face from Sylar I think. Its not the same as the "dark Peter" scar though
Was that one across his nose?

#130211  by Anarky
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:26 pm
Zeus wrote:
Seraphina wrote:He got a big cut on his face from Sylar I think. Its not the same as the "dark Peter" scar though
Was that one across his nose?

I'm pretty sure he did not get this scar

#130213  by Zeus
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Yes, I remember that one...

No, he got one on his right cheek in the end of S3, Part 1.

#130217  by SineSwiper
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:37 pm
Fuck, too much to reply to...
Lox wrote:The only thing about the episode that I liked was Sylar just being an evil, horrible villain.
I missed Sylar trying to be a good guy. It seems like he was doing pretty good, and then the writers changed their mind again. None of these character turnovers made any sense.
Anarky wrote:And once again Mohinder is setup to be working for evil corperation D next volume.
Why? Because he's riding with ice bitch? It seems like they don't know what do with Mohinder, really. He's done "researching", so maybe he'll have an active role doing crime fighting shit, which would actually be somewhat interesting.
Zeus wrote:He and Peter need to have a "Superman" showdown. They're both basically indestructible and have insane powers.
That was what season one was supposed to be. I think. Frankly, Sylar uses his telekinesis way too often. (Heh, so much that it's practically a part of his "original" powers.)
Lox wrote:Actually, he could take the Haitian's powers. The first season implied that his powers were passive (so he just walked into a room and everyone got shut down), but this season they have since contradicted themselves and shown that they are active. In last week's episode, he had to focus on Arthur to control him and Sylar had his powers while he was standing there. So as long as he wasn't actively canceling out Peter, Peter could absorb them.
I think it's a little bit of both. Arthur was so powerful that he needed to focus on just him, and only for that short time. Otherwise, it seems to be passive and can be selective if he wishes it. If you notice, Arthur seemed to know exactly when Peter and The Haitian were there, and I think it had to do with his passive ability triggering a lack of powers.
I think that was the whole point. Hiro is effectively out of the picture, though they may use him in a "hey, I don't have any powers, why are you capturing me?" plot.

The only way to time travel now is to use Ando and Speed Chick, which never made sense to begin with. (The closer you get to light speed, the more things around you will speed up relative to your own sense of time, but you can never go backwards in time.) I think that was just a plot device to get Hiro back, and they won't bother using it again.

Actually, I wonder if Ando can even control his powers at all. Can he physically touch anybody or any electronic device without zapping it? It seems like Future Ando was pissed off at Hiro about something to this effect before he killed him with that red bolt.

#130218  by SineSwiper
 Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:43 pm
Overall, I liked the end of the season. It seems like the writers have this concept of trying to fuck up the first part of the season, and then Tim has to step in and trying to fix it back up, after firing all of his writers. I wish they would just write everything down and quit fucking up the continuity over and over again.

I loved it when that soldier gets his neck snapped. I just had to laugh at how useless he was. And just as useless was the guy who killed him, and how he just turned to ice like that. That bitch is dangerous. (I wonder if Goldfinger ever did that. Hell, Sylar should do that just for the hell of it, instead of abusing his telekinesis over and over again.)

#130222  by Zeus
 Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:27 am
End of Volume 3. The season doesn't end 'til May. I like the split of the season into 2 parts, forces the writers to end any arcs so they don't get carried away or don't know what to do for too long like in the first two seasons.

Time travel ain't out of the question yet. They can easily bring in another who can do it or Arthur's power could easily have been to make the power dormant in others rather than taking them out completely. It is a disposition in your genes we're talking about here. They may just need to be "activated" again either by Ando's new power of acceleration or even the formula, which we can't assume is completely dead yet.

Mohinder/Tracey SHOULD be about setting up a political opponent to Nathan. Tracey's got all those connections, she can do it. And with Mohinder working behind the scenes on whatever, maybe even continue the Super Soldier program she was helping Nathan with by trying to re-create the formula from, say, a sample she had stolen or something.

#130224  by Chris
 Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:49 am
technically this is the end of season 2 as this was supposed to be the second half o f the strike shortened season.....which I blamed the strike for sucking........after this though.....no the show just blows more ass than.........Lox when ish lets him out of the basement