The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #132321  by Blotus
 Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:31 am
Needlessly long, poor man's Forrest Gump. Not bad, but not Oscar good. Also, shameless capitalizing on Hurricane Katrina for effect.

#132382  by SineSwiper
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:02 am
Yeah, I was hearing a co-worker of mine (a lady, actually), who hated it because it was overly long and didn't really have much of a point. She left before it was over.

#132388  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:16 am
On a counter point...

If the biggest complaints are 2 hours and 35 minutes are too long. It plays off of the New Orleans disaster, and they don't know the point because they didn't see the end of the movie (that's like saying about Fight Club: I didn't see the ending, I don't understand the point of the movie); then I am not overly worried.

This is actually the first negativity I have heard about the movie. I have heard it's everything from good to a fantastic film. It has also been nominated for 13 Academy Awards and 11 BAFTA's.

I am going to see it soon.

#132395  by Zeus
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:11 am
So, was Return of the King bad due to the length?

Length shouldn't matter if the movie is good. If you don't enjoy the film, even a 90 minute film can seem like it lasts forever. Hell, the 35 minutes I watched of Garden State felt longer than the 4:45 I spent watching Return of the King Extended.

#132439  by SineSwiper
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 am
You're still a moron for not liking Garden State, and again, not watching the movie up to the end is like thinking Fight Club is a bad movie without watching the ending.

I still reserve Seeker's judgment of the movie until he actually watches it first, though.

#132451  by Zeus
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 am
SineSwiper wrote:You're still a moron for not liking Garden State, and again, not watching the movie up to the end is like thinking Fight Club is a bad movie without watching the ending.

I still reserve Seeker's judgment of the movie until he actually watches it first, though.
35 minutes and NOTHING HAPPENED. There was ZERO reason to go on. Maybe it did have a great ending. If so, it needed to be edited down to 20 minutes :-)

And I'm with ya on Seek

#132452  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:59 am
Actually, sorry to keep you guys waiting, but I think I'm going to rewatch Fight Club this weekend instead......

.....Though I am sure I will be able to fit in the other one too at some point during the next 4 or 5 days =P

#132453  by Flip
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:08 am
i probably watched FC 8 times last month since it was on G4's Movies That Dont Suck rotation.

#132456  by Blotus
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:37 am
A movie is not necessarily too long in just running time; I've watched plenty of longer ones. What really makes BB too long for me is the "B story", if you will, when the movie follows Cate Blanchett's character on her deathbed recalling this Curious Case. I think if you cut out all of those scenes (probably half an hour) the movie would be just as good or better.

#132459  by Zeus
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:59 pm
Blotus wrote:A movie is not necessarily too long in just running time; I've watched plenty of longer ones. What really makes BB too long for me is the "B story", if you will, when the movie follows Cate Blanchett's character on her deathbed recalling this Curious Case. I think if you cut out all of those scenes (probably half an hour) the movie would be just as good or better.
I don't necessarily think so. It's a good way of telling a story and has worked many times in the past very, very well (Forrest Gump, Princess Bride). They're not THAT intrusive and can be no more than 20-30 minutes. If you liked the story but hated the "break" by the Katrina storyline, I can see why you thought it was too long